PDA

View Full Version : 9mm suppressor with other calibers

Koshinn
11 June 2011, 17:02
Can a 9mm suppressor, say the AAC Ti-Rant, be used on other, smaller calibers?

How about 22LR? How about 5.56?

Paulo_Santos
11 June 2011, 17:51
I'd call them up and ask. I'm sure you can, but I'd check to be safe. The worst that could happen is that the can won't be as effective with other calibers.

oregonshooter
12 June 2011, 19:45
I use my Trident 9 on the following without issues.
- 9mm (pistol & carbine)
- .300 Whisper
- 22lr (pistol and carbine)

5.56 would be a NO-NO as is any centerfire caliber that is supersonic. 300 Whisper in supersonic will blow my can apart. I only load subs so it's not an issue.

Koshinn
12 June 2011, 21:32
Have you seen 5.56 blow apart a can? What's the difference in construction between a pistol and rifle silencer besides bore diameter?

oregonshooter
12 June 2011, 21:43
I've not seen a can blow apart. It does happen, but I've not been around a guy willing to shoot high pressure rifle rounds through a low pressure designed can. I try not to hang out with people like that. :)

Main difference in construction is wall thickness and material. Also, most rifle cans are welded and made of stainless or titanium. Most 9mm cans are made from aluminium and are thin walled comparatively.

kletzenklueffer
16 June 2011, 10:32
Have you seen 5.56 blow apart a can? What's the difference in construction between a pistol and rifle silencer besides bore diameter?

Materical and construction. My 5.56 can is inconel and stainless, welded baffles to a stainless inner core, welded inside a stainless outer sleeve. My 9mm can is a stainless blast baffle and aluminum in the rest of the baffles as well as the tube. First, not all pressure gases and powder are stopped by te first baffle. That material and heat that hits the second baffle will erode aluminum in a hurry, if the tube could even hold the pressure.