PDA

View Full Version : Finally done...almost.

Creeky73
22 June 2011, 19:50
ok so after about 3 years of collecting parts, I finally have things almost done. The only things I really still need is a quality fire control group, and red dot sight. I don't want to post the pics in this thread because I am not sure about the size and don't want to bog things down, but here is a link to the photobucket page if anyone is interested. The setup looks really basic but I think it has some quality parts.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/Creeky73/

Tactical Innovations billet lower
mil-spec buffer tube, spring and H buffer, all from Rainier (not sure about brands, Stag maybe)
stock and grip are Magpul MOE in OD green
Mega forged upper
Bravo Co 20" govt profile barrel
Bravo Co Gunfighter charging handle (have Mod 3 and 4)
Rainier Arms XTC flash hider
Adams Arms rifle length piston kit
Bravo Co bolt for AA bolt carrier
Magpul MOE rifle length hand guard, OD green
Troy/LaRue front sight
ARMS 40L-SP rear sight

I also have a Bravo Co complete lightweight 16" upper, also decked out in MOE in green, so both uppers match the lower fine. It has a Rainier/Thunderbolt bolt carrier group and a Bobro forward grip. It also has a few parts from Earl at IWC, who was a fantastic cat to do business with. I do still need a rear sight for it, which will probably be a Gen 2 Magpul.

Notable people I did business with on this build: the afore-mentioned Earl; John at Rainier (most of my money went to these guys, and the only parts issue I had was handled very well); Jason at Gear Sector (these guys know how to give you the warm and fuzzies with the follow-up customer service); Mike at Tupelo Custom Weaponry in Tupelo, MS who put my upper together. Many businesses could take some serious notes from these gentlemen about how to treat customers.

I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum who has tolerated my ridiculous questions and asinine observations to help me out over the last couple of years. I feel like I have a quality setup now that I am very happy with, and there is simply no way I would have gotten to this point if I had not found this board. I realize that most of you are true professionals, who use these weapons as part of your occupations and way of life, and you probably have more trigger time in one year than I have in 5. Dealing with noobs like myself must get old, but this board always keeps things on the level.

Oh, and of course thanks to Stickman, whose photos have no doubt inspired many people like myself to have some ugly break-ups with their bank accounts. Mine still refuses to speak to me.

Thanks guys!

Stickman
23 June 2011, 13:58
Sounds like a nice setup, I'm glad you went with the H buffer. Shoot it a bit, and see if eventually you might want to switch to the heavier H2.

Paulo_Santos
23 June 2011, 14:21
Definitely great looking AR.

Creeky73
23 June 2011, 19:27
do you think the H2 will work with both uppers?

Stickman
23 June 2011, 22:32
do you think the H2 will work with both uppers?

It should, but some carbine gas ports are smaller than others, which means weak ammo may cause issues with the H2.

Typically, it should be fine if you shoot good ammo, but cheap stuff may or may not be liked by it.

Creeky73
24 June 2011, 17:58
It should, but some carbine gas ports are smaller than others, which means weak ammo may cause issues with the H2.

Typically, it should be fine if you shoot good ammo, but cheap stuff may or may not be liked by it.

I do have some Silver Bear laying around, which is just about as cheap as you can get. If it works ok with this stuff, its probably good to go, right? If I had my druthers, I would run good brass through it all the time, but I'd like to empty a magazine from time to time, and that will add up quick with good ammo. I will definitely check it out.

brit
24 June 2011, 22:41
Lookin good Creeky.

Who makes those trigger and hammer pins?

Creeky73
25 June 2011, 04:56
Lookin good Creeky.

Who makes those trigger and hammer pins?

those came on the lower. I only saw that lower offered at Rainier for a very brief time, and when it went on sale I snatched it up. the bushings (not sure if that is correct word for them) are built into the pin holes, and the pins have an octagon-shaped head that keeps them from rotating. I know this is pretty much unnecessary but I got it for the same price as a regular TI lower without them.

Creeky73
25 June 2011, 05:08
btw, corrected my OP to read John at Rainier, as it should have in the first place. Apologies.