PDA

View Full Version : Precision AR: New .223 Upper or step up to .308 AR?

Hawk45
17 July 2011, 05:12
Kind of stuck on which route to take here so thought I'd see what kind of feedback you guys can give. I have my precision bolt guns but wanted to start playing with precision semi-autos. I've had and modified my Bushy AR15 carbine numerous times over the years (just for fun) . In its current configuration it's got a collapsible MP ACS stock, BMC 16" CL bbl, free float rifle lenght tube and trigger worked by Bill. It shoots "ok" for a CL barrel but not what I would call precision. I reload and have cooked up may diffierent recipies but none really get better than MOA or just outside. I will be upgrading my trigger in the upcomming weeks to a Geisele to try to squeeze out a bit more trigger control (no pun intended).

This will be for shooting mostly 300 - 600yds prone or off a bench. I'd love to do some longer range shooting when available, but I don't have consistant access to those distance ranges. Again I reload so the cost difference in bullets is only about $50 / 1000. Powder will be more but nothing rediculous.. I mean, shooting isn't cheap and I know that so not a big factor from an ammo perspective. Plus I already reload for both .223 and .308 already.

So my dilema is do I build/buy a second upper and shoot .223 or step up to getting a 308AR platform (which I'll do at some point anyway)? I know the 77gr-80gr 5.56 is pretty much similar to the 175gr from a trajectory/drift standpoint at those distances (300-600yds).

Which way would you lean? Precision .223 upper for current AR15 or step up to a .308 Semi?

Cheers,
Hawk

Paulo_Santos
17 July 2011, 06:33
If you are eventually getting a .308 and you already reload for the .308, why not just go that route now and keep the .223 for plinking? The LMT, POF, and Larue are very accurate off the shelf .308's. You can also put together your own using the Mega matching Monolithic Upper and lower assemblies.

Hawk45
17 July 2011, 08:58
Thanks for the feedback Paulo. I already have in my mind what I'm going to buy once I decide but I'll refrain from stating so as not to detract from the thread. Have a great weekend!

Rodman24
17 July 2011, 11:22
Have you considered the 6.5 Grendel? It would be a step up from 5.56 and would only require an upper swap.

Hawk45
17 July 2011, 13:26
I considered that, but after reloading for almost a dozen calibers over the years I've decided to stick to the .223 and .308. Recently sold off my .260 and .223AI bolt guns so I could consolidate and concentrate on just two rifle calibers (other than .22's).

caporider
18 July 2011, 18:30
Out of all the ARs I own or have owned, this is my favorite to shoot:

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/556spr_900.jpg

With a Geissele SSA trigger, H2 buffer, and Superior Shooting Systems flat-wire action spring, it is very smooth and easy to shoot, which in turn allows you to concentrate on being smooth and consistent as a shooter. As you say, with 77gr loads like the Black Hills Mk262Mod1 first round hits at 600 on steel plates are not all that hard. Plus, it's just so much easier to source spares and accessories for an AR15 vs any of the AR .308 variants.

Hawk45
18 July 2011, 19:57
Great setup!

Bob Reed
19 July 2011, 05:21
Hello,

For a precision AR, I'd stick with the 5.56/.223 caliber for the greater availability of high quality Genuine COLT AR-15 Parts & Magazines. I'd also want a complete rifle. To me, having extra uppers laying around without their own lower receivers would be, like having a garage full of Vintage Flat-Trackers without engines.

That being said, I'd buy a COLT AccurizedŽ Rifle (even though I hate the fact that it doesn't have a full FSB). http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtRifles/AccurizedRifles.aspx

todd.k
19 July 2011, 08:47
You didn't say what scope you have currently. If you don't have good glass start with an upper for your 5.56 and spend the rest of what you would have spent on a 308 AR on a good scope.

I don't see the 308 bringing much more than extra recoil for shooting targets at 300 to 600 yds.

Hawk45
19 July 2011, 09:02
I have good glass so that isn't an issue. Have a second of the new SWFA SS 5-20 HDs on the way ( first one is on my .308 bolt and VERY NICE).