PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Rifle Kit

tpelle
23 July 2011, 16:33
I have a "spare" AR15 lower (Doublestar), and want to put a rifle kit on it. The rifle will be used for "plinking", and also will be intended for home defense and SHTF. The rifle will need to be accurate at ranges of 100 to 300 yards. My budget is $700 to $800 +/-.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Flat-Top upper receiver
- 20" USGI profile barrel
- Free-Float 4-rail handguard
- Fixed stock
- Removable carry-handle rear sight
- A2 front sight base
- Standard rifle gas system

I have put together a couple of Del-Ton kits, both A2-style and M4-style, and although the rifles all functioned fine in regards to feeding, firing, and ejecting, I have noticed a common thread in that they all seemed to "off" to some extent or other regarding windage (Worst one was 28 MOA!).

I currently prefer iron sights, but I have to face the facts that the ol' peepers ain't what they used to be, and eventually I may need to shift to an optical sight. I have NOT been impressed with any of the popular BUIS rear sights that I've seen - they are maybe OK as back-ups as intended, but for a primary sight system they pretty much can't do the job in my opinion.

(My current and only other AR rifle is set up for Service Rifle competition, so it's pretty heavy and no fun for anything else than across-the-course competition.)

I already am familiar with Del-Ton obviously, but considering the sighting-in difficulties I've experienced I am open to consider another vendor.

Does anyone here have any experience and opinions regarding Model 1 Sales?

What about Bravo Company?

Any other vendors that I should consider?

Edit to add: I notice that all of Bravo company's upper receivers have the M4 feed ramps. Is this a good thing? I thought that M4 feed ramps were only really needed on....well....M4's?

Stickman
23 July 2011, 17:58
Have you thought about a carbine as opposed to a rifle? You would certainly have a lot more choice.

Paulo_Santos
23 July 2011, 18:50
If you are set on the 20" AR, I'd definitely go with the Bravo Company. The M4 Feedramps are added insurance. Stay away from Model 1 Sales for any serious use weapons.

tpelle
24 July 2011, 07:05
Have you thought about a carbine as opposed to a rifle? You would certainly have a lot more choice.

Yes, I am sort of reconsidering that point. I understand that an 18" barrel is actually ideal for the 5.56 NATO cartridge.

I'm now looking at this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm

AR-10
24 July 2011, 12:39
I'm now looking at this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm

That wouldn't be my first choice for a home defense upper, personally I would go with a 14.5" or 16" with an M4 or lightweight profile or maybe an SBR if you live in a free state.

You already have a rifle for long range, why not build something compact and light?