PDA

View Full Version : Best variable scope for AR target, varmint use

BobinLaConner
28 July 2011, 08:18
I have my DDM4 set up with the M3 clone and magnifier and bipod, but for target work at 100 yds + the red dot just doesn't give me the instant feedback for how my shots are landing. I recently purchased a Hawke 6-24x scope with a mil dot reticule for my .22 Ruger and love it. So now I have been looking at buying a Trijicon Accupoint and plan on putting it on a QR mount so I can swap between my QR mounted red dot and the scope as needed.

I have looked through the Trijicon 1-4x and also the 5-20x and both are really nice with super clear glass. The 5-20 mil dot seems to make more sense for range holdovers and target or varmint shooting (and since I have the red dot for quick acquisition / short range work.)

Does anyone have feedback or suggestions they can offer with what they are using on their AR platform for longer range shooting? Please post up with any experiences or things to look out for.

Thanks guys...I could argue that this site has really helped me save money and avoid spending money on the wrong things, but it also has cost me even more with all the cool things I didn't know I needed LOL

Paulo_Santos
28 July 2011, 13:31
What is the max range you are shooting at and what are you going to be trying to shoot at? For the price, it is hard to bet the SWFA 3-9 and other scopes.

BobinLaConner
28 July 2011, 16:27
As much as I liked seeing those 22lr bullets hitting the paper targets at 100 yds for immediate range feedback, I will probably only be shooting the AR out to 150-200 yds max at something the size of a prairie dog to a coyote. So I may not really "need" a 5-20 scope, but it sure is nice to look through. I will look at the SWFA 3-9 though

BobinLaConner
23 August 2011, 08:22
I've been indecisive and still looking at scopes at different stores and on the internet, and have come up with a couple that I liked. I still really like the clarity of the trijicon accupoint scopes but they are sure pricey. I like my Hawke on my .22 but would like to improve if I can. I also held and liked the Nikon M223 4-12x bdc scope, but don't really know much about its quality or performance. I also like what I read about the SWFA 3-9. I would prefer something with a side focus.

Anyone have or know if the Nikon is a good scope...? How would the bdc work with the 75 grain TAP (223) ammo...? Any other suggestions out there...?

Maybe I should ask this...if you already had an aimpoint red dot on a QR mount for CQ and were looking for a mid range target/varmint scope....and could recommend two of your favorite scopes in the two price levels (one compared to the trijicon accupoint at around $1100 and one at around $500 like the Nikon)...what would you recommend...?

Hatter
23 August 2011, 08:35
I have been looking long and hard for a good scope to be a 3 gun rifle and have mostly settled on the Viper PST from Vortex. Its a 1-4 which wouldn't suit your needs but I know Vortex makes other scopes around the $500 dollar price point with bdc reticle.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product... (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-4-12x40-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle)

BobinLaConner
23 August 2011, 09:53
I like their BDC reticule and in the $500 (or so) range is the 4-16x50 Viper HS or the 6.5-20x50 PA Viper. Anyone have any feedback on these...? How do they compare to the Nikon? THe PST looks nice but might be on the high side of my budget for a 6.5 -20x

Paulo_Santos
23 August 2011, 10:50
Side focus is not needed on a 1x4-3x9 scope. I thought the same thing, but after speaking with some well respected guys on SnipersHide, I was reassured that it isn't needed at all. I had no problems out to 300 yards. The one thing I would recommend is getting something with matching reticle and turrets. Meaning, Mil Reticle/Mil Turrets or MOA Reticle/MOA Turrets. It just makes life so much easier. I'd avoid caliber specific reticles at all cost.

Aragorn
24 August 2011, 09:21
I have a Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 that's pretty slick. They're about as tough as scopes come, and the one I have features an FC-2 reticle which is designed for speed in a tactical/big game hunting environment. Nightforce even managed to cleverly include Mils in the reticle, though it's not readily obvious if you don't know what you're looking for. The FC-2 reticle is a circle dot type with a triangle located under it and tapering stadia's out to either side. It's 5 mil from the center dot to the bottom/top of the circle, 5 more from the bottom of the circle to the top of the triangle, and 5 more from there to the bottom of the triangle.

The glass is very clear, though I'm not entirely certain that it's 1 power isn't actually 1.1 or 1.2 power, as my front sight when deployed becomes magnified.

The circle/dot portion of the reticle can be illuminated and isn't dissimilar from a red dot in appearance. The illumination does wash out against a very bright background, but this has actually proven to be a blessing in disguise. My aimpoint doesn't wash out, but finding that dot against a target with heavy glare is still difficult to do instantly. With the nightforce the red washes out and leaves you with the original crisp black reticle so you never lose track of it.

For all it's strengths, I've still been debating selling it to fund an ACOG.

aklaunch
14 September 2011, 13:28
I picked up the Leupold Mark AR last year. Pualo says stay away from caliber specific scopes but i like this one. I got it from sport optics with a Burris mount for under 400$. I love the thing. It is great for the price. I had the custom shop build me a turret for around 60 $ If you know the range you just turn the knob to the range you want. Obviously there will be different temps and pressures from day to day and season to season but i can always make a respectable group by just turning the top knob to the known distance.

BobinLaConner
14 September 2011, 21:40
Well it looks like I am purchasing a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x 50 scope with a Larue QR SPR -E mount. I will keep you posted on what my experience is on the range