PDA

View Full Version : DSA

warpig
4 August 2011, 09:11
Ok,ok,ok, new here. Considering a build. I'm sure it's been discussed previously but I was wondering about the quality of the DSA nitraded barreled uppers. Decent or crap? Thanks

UWone77
7 August 2011, 15:22
What made you decide to consider a DSA upper? Strictly price?

warpig
8 August 2011, 07:00
I actually ordered one about a year ago. They were back ordered and I got tired of waiting so I cancelled the order. The price was, at the time my main reason for ordering it. Now I'm basically wondering if the low cost is due to low quality. I'm purchasing a BCM 14.5 midlength upper in the next month or so anyway but still curious about the DSA uppers.

warpig
8 August 2011, 07:02
...and i'm aware that the Bravo Company upper is gonna be a better quality unit anyway.

TripleBravo
8 August 2011, 09:19
...I'll chime in with my brief experience: Some time ago, I ordered several stripped forged uppers made by DSA because the price was right. While they had some sort of ramp, none of them had properly cut M4 ramps. Most had feading issues. I've been weary of DSA ever since. This was before they offered complete uppers....perhaps their quality has improved.

ghostman1960
12 August 2011, 17:19
Run dont walk from DSA

warpig
14 August 2011, 23:09
That bad huh?

UWone77
15 August 2011, 02:36
What is your intended purpose for this upper? If you plan to shoot less than 300 rounds a year, and all it's going to hit is paper and dirt, go for it. Be realistic with yourself. Most people don't shoot as much as they wish or think
they do. If you plan to use it for HD/SHTF, would you trust a $275 upper with your life? I should as hell wouldn't. For a little more money I can get an LMT upper or a BCM upper. I like chrome lined HP/MP barrels, but that's me.

warpig
20 August 2011, 08:43
As I said, I'm purchasing a BCM upper. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the DSA uppers. I have a Bushmaster that I bought in '98, wanted to do a build and was just curious about DSA.

warpig
20 August 2011, 08:50
...and I don't think something has to be expensive to work. I've been using a Fenix TK10 flashight on duty for 3 years. Zero issues and considerably less expensive than Surefire. Price doesn't always equal quality, (not saying surefire isn't quality).

wolf_walker
25 August 2011, 15:32
They build a pretty good FAL, if you hunt you'll find some pretty "big name" guys speak well of them. Not that it translates to an AR but they aren't some hacks out to toss junk together. I've had my eye on one for a bare bones dirt cheap build for awhile for the barrel coating and cost.

tac40
25 August 2011, 17:25
Well for what it's worth, I've seen plenty of BCM, LMT, Noveske, Colt, and Rainier Arms uppers appearing in carbine classes. My buddy just picked up a Rainier Arms upper and he's loving it. I've never seen a DSA upper in the dozen plus classes I've been to. So buyer beware. Is the AR you are buying for a stay in the fight or just a weekend dirt shooter? Because you're buying a BCM upper it sounds like a rifle you are willing to go into harms way when needed. Good choice Sir.