PDA

View Full Version : Mag Carrier - Ammo Direction

Hatter
4 August 2011, 10:34
I'm looking to get some mag carriers, probably RCS but that's irrelevant for this discussion.

It seems that the most common and widely used carry convention is to be on the opposite side of the body from the weapon with the rounds pointing forward. I can agree with the mags on my left but I'm having trouble envisioning the grip and load process with the rounds forward.

This seems to be the case with pistol and rifle magazines.

The more comfortable convention (for me) would seem to be with rounds facing to the rear. When the magazine is gripped it would be with the thumb to the front (on the back of the magazine) and the fingers wrapping to the rear (front of the magazine). Pull it out and rotate the hand forward and the mag is positioned to be fed directly into the mag-well.

I'm sure this is simply a comfort thing but I'd like to know if I'm over looking anything and what the grip/load process would be with the rounds facing forward.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help and clarification.

CLBME
4 August 2011, 15:25
I agree with your sentiments. I keep my pistol mags with bullets forward but my AR mags are the opposite with the bullets to the rear. I find that this facilitates an "outside" beer can grip for me so that I can rotate the mag right up into the mag well. I did take a class where the instructor suggested my trying bullets forward. It meant that I had to get my hand between my body and the mag ("inside grip") and I just couldn't get used to it.

Hatter
4 August 2011, 15:47
As you describe the "inside grip" I imagine it to be very un-natural and uncomfortable. Sure, with enough training I could force myself to do it but I can't figure out why.

I also don't see myself ever running a mag-dump and would reposition mags back into the carriers on a tactical reload. This also suggests the outside grip being used. I can't foresee removing a magazine and returning it to the pouch with the inside grip.

Its interesting that you run the opposite directions between AR and pistol. I assume muscle memory would suggest to keep these consistent. Why do you keep the pistol rounds forward? Do you not use the same "inside grip" with the smaller mag?

CLBME
4 August 2011, 16:16
Hi Hatter- I index my pointing finger along the front of the pistol mags and find that because they are smaller I "palm" them rather than either inside or outside grip. The small rotation out of the pouch is easier and more intuitive with the bullets forward. Straight up, a slight rotation and into the pistol, which I hold at an angle up in front of my face and use my palm to seat the mag. For me bullets forward makes the most ergonomic sense with the pistol. I don't index my finger on the AR mags though and I don't use my palm to seat them. I prefer to send them into the well with the same grip all way and give them a tug to be sure they are seated.

rob_s
5 August 2011, 12:50
pistol = bullets front
carbine = bullets rear

this may help
http://youtu.be/2GsmUzSBaUQ

There is not a "muscle memory" issue between a carbine and a pistol magazine, but if you have trouble working it out you can do carbine mags bullets front too.

Hmac
5 August 2011, 17:04
I prefer the "beer can" grip on AR mags, so I carry them bullets facing rear. Feels too awkward to me to try to index-finger them - too much wrist rotation, feels cumbersome, for those longer and heavier mags. For the smaller and shorter pistol mags I do use the index concept and run them facing frontwards.

Jack Kardic
12 February 2012, 11:44
All the setups I use have my mags on the left half of my body with the rounds facing right. I keep everything unified, so whether it's pistol, carbine, or shotgun, it's always the same sweep down, index the first mag I come to, and insert. I do have rather large hands though, so indexing a 5.56 mag isn't difficult.

tom lee
13 February 2012, 00:30
This isn't a place to post unrelated pics to boost sales.
***removed by Eric***

Black Talon Defense
13 February 2012, 20:24
If i may add some insight from an LE Firearms Instructor point of view.
Indexing of magazines, whether rifle or pistol is the same. You dont want to confuse yourself with directional changes in high stress situations.
Support side is for magazines, bullets pointing toward your midline.
To index the mags open palm facing your side rib cage thumb pointed to your midline.
Drop your hand straight down on the mag, your thumb will grip opposite side of mag against your body, index finger will point straight touching just the tip oc the bullet when out of mag... So you can point your way into the magwell. Pull straight up clearing pouch rotate mag so bullets are visible to you and point index finger directly to and into magwell.
Other forms will cause you to monkey paw or not allow u to point your way in.

Dutch

Aragorn
13 February 2012, 21:55
If i may add some insight from an LE Firearms Instructor point of view.
Indexing of magazines, whether rifle or pistol is the same. You dont want to confuse yourself with directional changes in high stress situations.

Just because you have pistol mags facing one way and rifle mags another doesn't mean you're going to get confused. I carry my pistol mags with the rounds facing forward and rifle mags with the rounds facing to the rear. It's all about muscle memory. Your body knows whether you're loading your pistol or your rifle, and both are completely different. Different sized magazines being loaded into different mag wells that are in different positions relative to your body. It's different enough that you already have a different set of muscle memory for each.

Support side is for magazines, bullets pointing toward your midline.

I'll agree that over 90% of the time that the support side is a great place for spare magazines. Rounds do not necessarily have to point to your midline. If that works for you 100% of the time, great.

To index the mags open palm facing your side rib cage thumb pointed to your midline.
Drop your hand straight down on the mag, your thumb will grip opposite side of mag against your body, index finger will point straight touching just the tip oc the bullet when out of mag... So you can point your way into the magwell. Pull straight up clearing pouch rotate mag so bullets are visible to you and point index finger directly to and into magwell.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? You can touch the rounds in an AR mag and simultaneously load it into the magwell? I would personally love to see a video of you trying to get an AR mag into the gun with your index finger touching the tip of the round, or any part of the round for that matter. Even if your index finger isn't in the way, the rest of your hand will be. Maybe you mean holding the mag from the bottom with the index finger running up the leading edge of the mag. Sure, some people do that, but it still doesn't give you much purchase on or control of the mag.

Other forms will cause you to monkey paw or not allow u to point your way in.

If monkey paw = beer can grip, that works great for some individuals. Different strokes for different people.

For pistol mags I slide my thumb across my side from front to back just above the pant line. Thumb slides between pistol mag and side. Index finger indexes along full length of the magazine/mag pouches leading edge, remaining three fingers (middle, ring, pinky) continue on and wrap around body of mag. Mag is extracted and gun becomes reloaded.

For rifle mags I slide my thumb across my side from front to back just above the basepads on my pistol mags. Thumb slides between rifle mag and side. Remaining four fingers wrap around the body of the mag (beer can grip). Mag is extracted and gun becomes reloaded.

Both of those techniques offer me maximum control and the best magazine/hand orientation to the weapon. Never once had an issue of ANY sort by having pistol and rifle mags facing different directions.

Figure out what works best for you, and be consistent.

zero7one
14 February 2012, 11:34
***The last two posts have been moved to our trash bin due to unprofessional conduct. Remember, it is okay to disagree with another, but please keep it tactful and professional, or keep it to yourself.