PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a lower reciever - New to aftermarket AR 15s

schambers
7 August 2011, 03:04
Hello all,

I've been skulking around on this forum off and on and I figured it was time to make my first post.

I am active duty military and have spent a lot of time working the M4/M16. Unfortunately, I am compleatly lost when it comes to aftermarket manufacturers.

I recently purchased a limited eddition SBR upper package from Troy and now I am in need of a lower reciever. I need recomendations!

I would prefer a pre-built lower reciever.
Doesn't nevessarily need to look fancy or do cool stuff.
I'm mostly interested in quality durability and fit.
I would mainly be running the weapon through ranges, through dirt and mud, move and shoot type drills.
Price isnt much of an issue but I would like to spend less than $600

Any comments and suggestions are welcome. I would also be interested to know what features to avoid or what manufacturers to avoid.

Thanks

UWone77
7 August 2011, 04:20
Personally, I would go with an LMT lower if you're looking for prebuilt. Can be had for $330 for the basic model. In my opinon LMT is hands down one of the best manufacturers for prebuilt lowers, I own 3 myself.

The lower will not be NFA unless you register it as an SBR.

pentosinjunkie
7 August 2011, 09:08
I'm pretty sure he'll have to NFA register the lower before assembling the two halves unless there is some exemption for .mil/leo I don't know about.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

MoxyDave
7 August 2011, 14:18
I just received some very nice lowers from Palmetto State Armory. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

UWone77
7 August 2011, 15:21
I totally missed the part about the OP already purchasing the SBR upper. OP you need to register the lower as an SBR before you put that upper on.

schambers
9 August 2011, 04:15
thanks guys!

TehLlama
13 August 2011, 03:16
LMT for a complete lower (though if it's the TROY M7 kit, you won't need a complete one, just most of one).

I'd honestly recommend going through G&R Tactical or Palmetto State Armory, depending on which route you want to go for the SBR. G&R would be ideal if you want to pick up the SBR lower as a form 4 item (iirc Grant has some BCM and maybe DanielDefense lowers that are already SBRs) -, BCM and DD being absolutely top notch equipment. If you're going Form1, then the LMT Defender lowers, or having an PSA lower built with a DD LPK and Geissele SS-X (SSA, SSA-E) trigger would be an ideal choice.

If you need more resources about getting the lower set up as an SBR, we'll point you to those resources, or start googling away and see what all you need.
Keeping asking questions either way - there are crappy parts out there, but there is an abundance of good ones for usually the same price. Being stationed away from home of record has forced me to be patient, and that helps reduce dumb purchases, so use that to your advantage

schambers
13 August 2011, 03:56
Right now, I've got my eye on at Vltor lower. I have also been looking into the process of regestering an SBR thanks to this forum. thanks again!

Wormydog1724
16 August 2011, 10:01
So you can buy the SBR upper before registering an SBR lower? Well I guess I always knew you could bur I'm not sure how smart that is.

Stickman
16 August 2011, 21:33
So you can buy the SBR upper before registering an SBR lower? Well I guess I always knew you could bur I'm not sure how smart that is.

The crime would be assembling it into a complete weapon before the paperwork came back.

Wormydog1724
17 August 2011, 20:05
I've always heard the terms 'constructive possession' or 'constructive ability' or something like that. Meaning if you have the short barreled upper and an AR lower, you're able to illegally construct an SBR, whether you do or not is irrelevant to the 'powersthatbe'. I've also heard of people keeping the SBR upper at a friends or family members house that doesn't own any AR's, but again I've heard even that can still be illegal as you are still able to construct it, just have to drive and go get it. The obvious way around it is to have a pistol lower for ever short barreled upper until you have a registered SBR lower.

Maybe I've read too many forums or I'm just too careful. Or just wrong. That's always possible.

I have a question of my own as I was typing, if I have a registered SBR lower, how many SBR uppers can I have for it? Just one or can I have one 10.5", one 11.5", one 12.5" and one 14.5" for the same lower?