PDA

View Full Version : Budget Optics: The choices?

chazthebiker
13 August 2011, 11:35
Well, it looks as though my premium build days are coming to an end. I built 2- 5.56mm Billet Mega Machine rifles and 1- 6.8 SPC Noveske based rifle. (Actually, one of the 5.56 doesn't have a rail yet and will go witth DD lite)

In the last month the SHTF in my world. A month ago my 4'11" 100lb wife had a heart attack. My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer (incurable) and it looks like I am going to have to come off the road to help take care of business.

ACOGS are now out of the question.

Here's what I need to know guys; I am looking to put an optic on each rifle over the next year or so. The optic and mount for each must be under $500. Used but good condition is ok. BDC is essential.

I have seen Nikon scopes at Cabelas and Bass Pro that foot the bill ... and are actually very reasonable.

Help me out guys. What do you think for a decent budget optic? LOng range for the 6.8 SPC and Red Dot for the 5.56's.

Rodman24
13 August 2011, 12:23
Sorry to hear about the storm that came your way. That's rough.

Since you're talking about putting optics on three weapons, I would advise that you focus on the 6.8 and one of the 5.56. And DO NOT skimp on budget. Buy what you really need. I'm not saying you should be going for s high end scope, but don't skimp too much just so you can have an optic on the second 5.56. I would just stay with irons on that one until your money situation turns around.

An Aimpoint H-1 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=399) with QD mount from LaRue can be had for around $600. So you're not getting pushed too far out on that one. The Long range scope will be a bit harder. Lots of options and preferences involved.

Creeky73
13 August 2011, 15:53
I am considering a Lucid HD7 for mine. red dot for around 200 clams, most reviews are positive. dunno about scopes.

Paulo_Santos
13 August 2011, 17:05
Sorry to hear about your wife and mom.

How far do you plan on shooting and what? Have you considered just sticking with irons for a while?

TehLlama
13 August 2011, 18:11
Aimpoint PRO for the 5.56 (or a used M3/ML3), but the 6.8 optic will probably depend on if it's a strictly daytime optic or not.

tac40
14 August 2011, 09:04
Sorry to hear about your about your family. The Nikon scopes are decent, a buddy ran one on his AR(M-223 model), it was well made. Price was good and reasonable.

hikeeba
24 August 2011, 08:06
Chaz, I'm sorry to hear about your troub;es. Best of luck to you and yours...

OK... 'Budget' ptics setups for 3 rifles (one 6.8 SPC and two 5.56), with BDC, and not to exceed $500 per setup. I will guess that the current situation will dicatate separate purchases for each item, and that combining the three projects into one $1500 pool is not an option.

One-piece mount ideas (off the top of my head; I'm sure there are others):
Non-QD:
-Primary Arms Deluxe/Deluxe Extended, $60
-SWFA S.A.L.T., $60
-Burris PEPR, $70

QD:
-Burris QD PEPR, $90
-American Defense MFG, $150-$190
-LaRue, $195-$215
-Bobro, $200-$210

For the 6.8 SPC:
-Nikon M223 3-12x42 Riflescope Kit; includes BDC reticle, flip caps, and SWFA S.A.L.T. 30mm/1" mount - $479.95 @ SWFA
-Nikon M223 2-8x32- ~$300. Add your choice of mount.
-Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 with BDC - ~$200. Add your choice of mount.
-Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 with Accu-Range reticle - ~$220. Add your choice of mount.
-Any of the lower-powered offerings mentioned below.

For the 5.56 rifles:
-Burris TAC30 1-4x24- ~$300. Add your choice of mount.
-Burris MTAC 1-4x24- ~$400. Add a mount that costs less than $100.
-Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 with Accu-Range reticle- ~$160. Add your choice of mount.
-Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 with Accu-Range reticle- ~$170. Add your choice of mount.
-Burris AR-322 3x fixed prism sight- ~$320. Add a Burris or ADM QD mount for a complete package totaling less than $500.
-Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32- ~$150. Add your choice of mount.
-Luepold Mark AR 3-9x40 with BDC- ~$300. Add your choice of mount.

All of the scopes suggested above have daytime-visible black reticles with some type of easy BDC. I believe only the suggested Burris items have illumination.

*Disclaimer* - The suggested items do not represent my favorite pet brands. They are items that came to mind when I considered Chaz's criteria.

chazthebiker
4 September 2011, 14:04
Sorry to hear about the storm that came your way. That's rough.

Since you're talking about putting optics on three weapons, I would advise that you focus on the 6.8 and one of the 5.56. And DO NOT skimp on budget. Buy what you really need. I'm not saying you should be going for s high end scope, but don't skimp too much just so you can have an optic on the second 5.56. I would just stay with irons on that one until your money situation turns around.

An Aimpoint H-1 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=399) with QD mount from LaRue can be had for around $600. So you're not getting pushed too far out on that one. The Long range scope will be a bit harder. Lots of options and preferences involved.

Thanks Rodman24. I think you have given me good advice. The replies by everyone else are also aprreciated. I will focus on an optic for the 6.8 first... which will be used primarily for hunting. No need to get in a rush. There is so much to get still... sling, more ammo, backpack, more ammo, magazines, more ammo.....