PDA

View Full Version : Removing Tape Residue

lamarbrog
14 August 2011, 15:37
What's the safest way to remove tape residue from the fiber optic on an ACOG? I know I shouldn't use Acetone because it will cause crazing. I've heard Alcohol can cause damage to anti-fog coatings on lenses. What's the secret?

Also, is this lens pen the best thing for cleaning the lenses? How do I tell if it has worn out?

Eric
14 August 2011, 16:47
WD40 is good for sticky tape residue. Goo Gone works great as well.

For lens cleaning, I have a couple Lens Pens that seem to do the job just fine and are handy to have in the range bag. Use the brush first to remove any loose debris and then the coated cleaning pad to remove what's left. Cleaning solution & tissue for camera lenses are another safe way to clean your optic. A microfiber cloth can be used as too.

lamarbrog
14 August 2011, 22:20
Is it hazardous to the coatings on the glass to get WD40 on them? I don't know much about Goo Gone as far as the potential of causing crazing on the fiber optic. I know it supposedly doesn't hinder performance if crazing does occur, but it's new and I'd like to keep it nice if it's possible.

Hatter
15 August 2011, 05:42
I received an old Mossberg field shotgun from my uncle who had won it at a DU benefit years ago. He camo socked it and taped the hell out of it to use it as a cheap Turkey gun and gave it to me for the same use. After purchasing a new camo dipped Benelli I removed the tape and sock and had tape residue on barrel, stock, forearm, and trigger guard. Soaking the residue in Hoppes 9 solvent for several minutes and it wiped right off. I can't image that Hoppes solvent would to any damage to the ACOG. You may want to try that. It left my old shotgun looking brand new!!!

Eric
15 August 2011, 07:06
The ACOG is a combat optic and I sincerely doubt any standard gun cleaner (Hoppes or even WD40) will damage it.
You could always contact Trijicon (https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/contact/index.php) to confirm.

lamarbrog
15 August 2011, 09:33
I called Trijicon this morning. They said just elbow grease and a clean cloth is the best way. If you want to use a solvent, alcohol (contrary to what I had heard) will work and should not cause any damage to any lens coatings.

I think I'll play it safe and just go with the clean cloth and elbow grease.

Thomas M-4
18 August 2011, 11:30
WD-40, Goof Off or rubbing alcohol all should work.

zero7one
19 August 2011, 12:44
+1 for the lens pen. They work wonders on lenses. DO NOT use them on plastic covered screens, etc...they will scratch them, but they work great for glass lenses.

lamarbrog
19 August 2011, 14:38
How often do I need to replace a lens pen? How can I tell if it is worn out?

I really don't want to risk any damage to this optic.... I'm about 90% sure it's worth more than my car is.

zero7one
19 August 2011, 14:55
How often do I need to replace a lens pen? How can I tell if it is worn out?

I really don't want to risk any damage to this optic.... I'm about 90% sure it's worth more than my car is.

I have had mine for a few years and use it on my optics and camera lenses. I have not had to replace it yet. Just make sure that when you put the cap back on the graphite cup end, that you give it a twist to "reactivate" the graphite on the cup's pad.