PDA

View Full Version : New guy here(with pics)

chase45
16 August 2011, 20:02
Been a member of another site for a long time and decided to branch out a little.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_3066.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/9df45fb8.jpg

UrbanPioneer
17 August 2011, 12:46
Welcome. Are you a civilian or other? I ask because of all of the interesting hardware you have like what's on the helmet and the side of your carbine. Could you talk a little about the gear you are running and how it works for you?
Thanks,
JCM

Paulo_Santos
18 August 2011, 09:21
That is some real nice gear you have.

chase45
19 August 2011, 14:23
Welcome. Are you a civilian or other? I ask because of all of the interesting hardware you have like what's on the helmet and the side of your carbine. Could you talk a little about the gear you are running and how it works for you?
Thanks,
JCM

Lowly civi

Just been into ARs since I was young. Bought it as a stripped lower in 08 and been building on it ever since. I built it to be a compact fighting rifle up to 300 meters. I also wanted to be able to fight in any condition, day, night, whatever the situation. I have a M4-2000 mod 8 as well, waiting for the feds...

A little about the gear, most of stuff is pretty recognizabe. 12.5 SBR. I used a WOA barrel.

The PC is a eagle PC with cummberbun. Got lvl 4 plates on the front and back, trying to find some good side plates. Only keep 2 spare mags for pistol and AR on the vest as I will be evading as much as possible if it ever needs to be deployed. A small trauma kit if something bad happens.

Got the PVS-14 and AN/PEQ-2 from a buddy of mine high up in the LEO world when their department was upgrading.

I really like the way this rifle is set up. Shoots fantastic, a little heavy but it shoots and is very reliable. Money wasnt a consideration when I started building this rifle, part of which why it took so long to complete.

It gets used, and it gets shot at classes and it comes with me every range trip. Not a safe queen as you can tell by its character.

Some day Id like to upgrade to a newer acog. I also need to put more money towards the PC, but I am very happy with the gear I have and it works great, just wish I got more use out of em

chase45
19 August 2011, 14:31
Ment to add, I built the 7.5 just to be a fun upper for my SBR, but it is the PERFECT size for a PDW type gun. I know there is alot of debate with ballistics on a barrel that short in 5.56mm, but for the intended range and some hot handloaded 40 gr vmax bullets I guarantee it will be devistating for its intended range, being under 50 yards.

Great size for in and out of the car fast

TehLlama
19 August 2011, 22:12
Since I haven't mentioned this before, I'm pretty sure that when it comes to equipment, yours is the closest to mine in terms of layout, accessories, mounting systems, and base weapons. Needless to say I like how you lay things out, have borrowed a couple ideas, and I've been extremely happy with the results.

lamarbrog
19 August 2011, 23:11
Very nice set up you've got there.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you snap a few pics specifically of your plate carrier?

I'm considering getting the same thing, except without the cummerbund... but maybe the cummerbund is worth having, I don't really know. Does the cummerbund offer a significant advantage in your opinion?

Thanks.

TehLlama
20 August 2011, 18:50
I don't suppose to speak for him, but in my experience, running plates, ammo, water, and kit items in there is too much for the shoulders, so the cummerbund is a must-have if you're using it with armor and gear. There is literally a finite upper limit to how much gear can be weighed around your shoulders before you have difficult breathing while standing (mine is around 180lb)

lamarbrog
20 August 2011, 21:10
Forgive my ignorance... but does the cummerbund take any weight from the shoulders? I thought it was just an extra loop of fabric and nothing more- giving a nice little "pouch" to keep maps and such, and offering extra molle room on the sides.

chase45
21 August 2011, 13:29
The cummberbun to me gives extra molle space, and keeps the vest tight on you. I am a small guy, 5'6" and 150. I had a hard time finding a vest that would stay tight on me and not jump around when running, the cummberbun keeps it from jumping around on me. I dunno if it helps save my shoulders. It very well may do that and I just dont realize it. With plates and ammo and PVS 14 it weight under 30 pounds

Ill see if I can get some pics of the vest tonight. I try and keep a minimum amount of things on it. Since I am in the civi world I just put the plates in it, 2 spare mags for my AR and glock, PVS 14 holder, and a small med pack. I still need to add a few things but I am trying to keep weight down on it as much as possible. To me if it ever needs to be deployed say in a rioting town to where I cannot drive out, I am going to evade as much as possible and only travel at night time. The PVS-14 really lets me own the night with my set up

To me a vest is to only keep essentials on you. I have a backpack for the things that I may still need , but not need instantly.

lamarbrog
21 August 2011, 20:46
That's pretty much my philosophy as well.

I'm a bit bigger at 5'11" and 180lbs, but am mostly looking at getting the same set up except a bit more ammo and some water. I'll get a pllate carrier, either the one you have or the model without the cummerbund. I plan to have a 6-mag pouch on the front, a medical pouch on one side, and a canteen pouch on the other. All other gear goes in a backpack.

Photos would be awesome, especially of what the cummerbund offers, since that's the main thing I'm having a hard time deciding on.

Thanks.

chase45
22 August 2011, 15:29
youll definately need the cummberbun then if you wanna keep that much gear on the vest. The front does not leave much room for just ammo. I highly recommend you buying the one with a cummberbun. In the end if you dont like it you can just take the cummberbun off, but I guarantee you will keep it on