PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Weight

Mr.Goodtimes
23 August 2011, 12:22
Lightweight seems to be the trend these days. When I put together this BCM 16in Midlength Bravo Company had just introduced BFH barrels, I don't believe the LW barrels were even out yet. None the less, I wasn't very interested. After more learning occurred I find my self now wanting an LW barrel and I've been thinking about maybe going with the DD MFR as my current rifle weighs as configured at a heafty 8.5 lbs unloaded and 9 lbs loaded.

My first question is, is an 8.5lb 16in AR-15 considered heavy or is that fairly normal these days? Next is what could be done to cut weight with out getting extreme? What could the weight potentially be cut down to? What I have been considering doing is Replacing the barrel with a LW 16in, DD MFR 12.0 and perhaps replacing the stock with either an LMT SOPMOD or VLTOR I-MOD.

Rifle as configured:

- BCM 16in Midlength with Shaved FSB
- Aimpount T1
- Surefire X-300
- Surefire MB-556
- VLTOR EMOD (nothing in compartments)
- Troy BUIS
- Larue FUG (nothing inside)
- Larue 11.0 Rail

http://i53.tinypic.com/6tmtm9.jpg

Paulo_Santos
23 August 2011, 13:51
About the only thing you can do is send the barrel out to a competent smith and have him reprofile the barrel for you. You can also get a different handguard to reduce the weight. Honestly though, I wouldn't mess with it unless you are going to be walking around with your AR for an extended period of time.

Mr.Goodtimes
24 August 2011, 09:00
Paulo, the rifle is a pig hunting gun as well as home defense and my training rifle. I'm going to be enrolled in some classes early next year for the first time and while the weight doesn't bother me, who wouldn't want less? I thought about just having the barrel re profiled but I think I'll just go with a new LW BFH barrel from BCM and use this barrel as a spare.

Aragorn
24 August 2011, 09:45
My answer essentially mirrors Paulo's. A lighter barrel and a lighter rail. Maybe even a lighter break. Those may not seem like much, but being the parts furthest from your body that's where the weight matters most.

On kind of a lateral note to this, in an effort to make my rifle lighter at one point I took off the UBR and went to an Emod, and from there to a MOE. While that DID make the rifle lighter, it also adversely affected the balance to where the weapon, when shouldered or performing one handed maneuvers, felt more nose heavy. Ultimately I put the UBR back on. It's still heavier on a scale or a sling, but the balance is there which to me is perceived as a lighter, more agile weapon the rest of the time. You could always put some batteries or a small cleaning kit in your stock to see if it helps any.

BTW that camo is sweet.

Mr.Goodtimes
24 August 2011, 13:48
Thanks Aragorn. It's actually just krylon but it came out really well. I think that I'm going to go with a LW barrel and see what that does. I also swapped my surefire brake out with an A2 and noticed that made a noticeable difference in the balance of the weapon however, I put the surefire back on as I really like the recoil reduction. I'm eventually doing to go with an AAC can so it will end up getting replaced with an AAC brake.

chase45
24 August 2011, 14:20
I think 9 pounds isnt bad

Mine weighs in a little over 10, and this is a SBR. I dont mind the extra weight persoanlly. I believe it is all personal preference though. I have hiked with her for miles at a time and it isnt horrible

A lighter contour barrel would really make it feel lighter since the barrel is out in front of you. Balance to me is more important than weight. More weight in the middle to rear of the rifle can make it not feel as heavy

Mr.Goodtimes
24 August 2011, 17:13
Chase, how does your SBR weight 10lbs? You have PEQ and a can on it?

chase45
26 August 2011, 14:56
Chase, how does your SBR weight 10lbs? You have PEQ and a can on it?

I think the weight is mainly due to barrel profile and the UBR stock. She weights in at 10 pounds unloaded no mag in with all the goodies on her. This is not including a can(still waiting on the feds to let me have that). It has the PEQ, Surefire light, VFG, rail, Acog.

Barrel profile is what WOA calls a medium contour.

My 7.5 is a little pig as well. Have not weighed that gun, but I bet its every bit of 8-9 pounds

I dont have a real way to weigh my guns however, I just step on a digital scale with the gun, then get off put the gun down and see what I weigh.

160 without my 12.5, 170.5 with the gun unloaded

One thing worth mentioning is when I take the Acog off it feels significantly lighter.

Edited to add all specs.
WOA 12.5 barrel
Larue 11'' gooseneck
PEQ-2A
Surefire M952
Larue VFG
TA01 Acog in Larue mount
Magpul MIAD grip
Giessele DMR trigger
UBR stock. H2 buffer
Troy front sight, ARMS rear

I keep extra bolt and lube in the stock. I can only believe the weight is coming mainly from the stock and the barrel

goteron
26 August 2011, 19:54
6.2 lbs unloaded

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/TacticalElitist/6PoundCarbine.jpg

9 pounds unloaded

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/TacticalElitist/2-1.jpg

10 pounds unloaded

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/TacticalElitist/ScopedACR.jpg

The barrel and hand guard will make a huge difference for you. I lik .625 barrels and lighter (MFR, TRX extreme etc)

Hmac
27 August 2011, 07:18
The two SBRs are 11.5 inch BCM barrels. #1 uses a 9.0 DD Lite rail. #3 is a 16 inch Light Recce Basic with VIS upper.

Weights are without ammo.

http://SSEquine.net/rifleweights.jpg