PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction Clearance

lamarbrog
26 August 2011, 08:09
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/tactics-defensive-issues/carbine-malfunctions-part-2/

In an attempt to be continuously learning and reviewing what I already know, I've been reading this article. It seems pretty good, but I'm not sure it is 100% correct and want to get some clarification. (I fully acknowledge I may be wrong here, as I've never encountered a stove pipe on an AR15/M16.) The section in question is about clearing a stove pipe.

The article seems to propose that with a stove pipe there is a loaded magazine, an empty chamber, and a casing sticking out of the ejection port. As is described in the article; seating the magazine, turning the rifle so the ejection port is facing the ground, and racking the rifle will allow the casing to fall free and a fresh round to be chambered.

Here's my problem with this. Unless the rifle is short-cycling, the bolt would have picked up a round from the magazine on its way forward when it caught the casing. Since the casing is preventing it from getting into battery, though, the extractor probably wouldn't have locked onto the case rim, so you have a cartridge sitting loosely about 80% of the way into the chamber.
Pulling back on the charging handle probably will allow the casing to drop free... but the new mostly-chambered cartridge probably wouldn't drop free without a good bit of shaking and the proper angle. So, now you have a round in the chamber, a loaded magazine, and the bolt pulled to the rear. This would cause a double feed, and make the malfunction worse.

I'm probably missing something here... but the only rifle I've ever experienced a stove pipe on was an SKS quite a few years back, and I don't remember the details. If someone would clarify this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Eric
26 August 2011, 15:38
Your thinking is correct. There may or may not be a live round partially fed and if there is, a Secondary/Remedial clearance may be required. There are many variables in play. The problem with a diagnostic approach to a malfunction is the shooter may or may not have a clue what the problem is, so a Primary clearance should be the starting point.

Tap the mag in place. Don't beat the crap out of it, but a good solid tap to ensure it is seated.

Tug the mag to ensure that it is locked in place. Its very possible to have the mag in the mag well, the tap did not lock it in place and it is still retained in the mag well.

Rack the charging handle aggressively while canting the weapon toward the ejection port, in the event there is anything loose that needs to drop out.

Reassess the situation and be prepared for additional fire if required.

lamarbrog
27 August 2011, 09:56
That's what I thought...

I've noticed that the MagPul instructors will often turn the ejection port up so they can observe it before reloading, to verify that it is not a malfunction.

While a lot of the things MagPul teaches I don't really like/agree with... this actually doesn't seem to be a bad idea. A simple stove pipe wouldn't be that hard to quickly brush free and return the rifle to action... assuming the shooter knows that is what has occurred.

Are we just going to assume that canting the rifle inboard for observation takes too long? Sure seems to me it is a better idea than inducing a double feed. Then again, I wouldn't know... I just sell and fix guns, I don't actually shoot them. [BD]