PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy

tcecil88
4 September 2011, 07:53
I am looking to buy a Bushmaster MOE Dissapator. Anyone have any experience, opinions on this rifle? It will be my primary HD rifle. I had a Bushmaster before and had good luck with it.

Eric
4 September 2011, 14:04
It would be workable, but not my first choice, especially given that there are more solid choices available around the same price. Bushmaster has experienced a few QC issues and the heavy barrel profile isn't necessary for your application.

Wondering Beard
4 September 2011, 15:17
As Eric says, Bushmaster QC hasn't been the best and it would make me wary.

I'm curious though, why a dissipator? for home defense it can be a fine set up but it's only one out of very many.

TehLlama
4 September 2011, 19:52
If you're looking for a solid 16" carbine with long handguards, I'd be looking into a DanielDefense V5, a BCM BFH 16" Middy with a VTAC 11" Handguard, or if you want the dissipator, get a BCM one and run MOE handguards on it. Of those the first couple choices will be excellent, provide more modularity, and be lighter.

TripleBravo
5 September 2011, 21:32
Careful, careful...If I'm not mistaken, BCM is not producing a dissipator upper...yet...not that they will...but there has been discussion that they are thinking about producing one.

tac40
6 September 2011, 06:20
Before you spend your money, consider other AR makers such as LMT, BCM, Daniel Defense, Rainer Arms, and S&W. The Bushmaster AR is a decent buy but you will spend some additinal funds to fine tune the basic BM AR. Rob S has a nice fact sheet with some important points to consider before buying an AR. The AR is a big boys Lego set, you can and remove parts. Good luck in your pick.

tcecil88
6 September 2011, 12:19
Thanks for all the advice. My main reason for the Dissipator is the looks. I really like the profile so I will look into the other rifles you mentioned. I want the rifle for HD as well as I am thinking of getting into 3 Gun. The Bushmaster I owned before was a Post-ban 16" HBAR that ate everything I fed it. That was several years ago though and I sold it to buy something else. I don't mind a little extra weight as I have always fancied a heavier gun. I carried an M16A1 with the M203 for a few years and then went to the M249 SAW that was the full size version before retiring with an M16A2. I have never had a lightweight rifle so I probably don't know what I am missing. Thanks again.

TehLlama
7 September 2011, 05:33
Well, add a couple handy devices like a quality weaponlight, optic, and a long foreend like you're planning on and the balance will be frontheavy enough. Lightweight rifles now are on average better performers than any of the ban era HBars, but as a significant weight savings.
I stand corrected on the status of the BCM Dissy units - I saw those as a too-logical extension of the their Kino offerings, and assumed that they were already out there since one is featured prominently on their 'Gunfighters Wanted' ad. In any case, I'd still argue that an ordinary free floaded 16" Middy with fixed irons on the front of the handguard will suffice.