PDA

View Full Version : Colt SP 6940?

Chiefrude1
9 September 2011, 10:58
Hello, I'm looking to buy my first AR. I'm looking to purchase a Colt SP 6940. While I am an avid gun owner/shooter I am ignorant to AR's. Is this a good purchase for a first time buyer? Any other suggestions? I linked the gun below. Thank you for your help.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6940

lamarbrog
9 September 2011, 12:34
Pat Rogers ran one for 17,600 rounds before it ultimately had a catastrophic failure due to what was presumed to be an ammunition defect. If I recall, it was only cleaned once during this time when the extractor was being replaced.

Only real issue most will mention with the 6940 is that it has a one-piece upper with railed handguard, and requires a proprietary barrel nut as a result. If you plan on servicing your own rifle with standard parts, this can cause you some issues.

If you want a standard barrel nut, the 6920 has that. You lose the railed handguard, and also the flip-up sight (the sight is not a huge loss in my opinion).

The 6720 is the same thing as the 6920 except it has a lightweight barrel profile.

Colt products are good to go... Any of these rifles will function just fine. What it comes down to is personal preference, and how much commonality of parts matters to you.

Wondering Beard
9 September 2011, 15:59
From all that I have read, the 6940 works just fine (barring the incident Lamar mentions and it's unlikely that it's the gun's fault) but ..

the 6940's one piece railed upper makes it extremely hard to change if you want to improve and/or fit the gun to you better as your skills evolve.

The 6920 has no such limitations.

TehLlama
9 September 2011, 22:20
That is the limitation, and with the wide variety of configurations already available, and G&R Tactical about to come out with their own line of factory modified 6290's, I think the 6940 is going to get beat out just because of the lost flexibility from that handguard.

Paulo_Santos
10 September 2011, 05:40
I'm a big fan of monolithic uppers, but I'm not crazy about this one. I'd get a 6290 or if you really want a monolithic upper, I'd get an LMT.

Chiefrude1
10 September 2011, 05:57
Thanks guys, I'm going to switch it up to the 6920. I'm not looking for options yet, but once I get the gun, learn it inside and out I can only assume I'm going to want to explore my options. I just want a solid gun to start and learn from. Once I've educated myself I intend on building at least a couple more of these bad boys. I definitely want something for long range in the future. Thanks for steering me down the correct path.

Ryo
10 September 2011, 09:44
I thought the 6940 was a nice upper when I had one, but I moved away from monolithic uppers due to weight.
LMT makes a real nice one, MRP, which has the ability to interchange barrels. Got a 9mm barrel in mine at the moment.

Depending on your definition of long range, 300 yards versus 1000 yards, AR's are not considered long range rifles like 308, or .260, etc

Chiefrude1
10 September 2011, 11:25
I guess I was thinking 300-500 yards for long range.

lamarbrog
10 September 2011, 18:35
A 6920 will have you covered at 300 yards, and probably out to 500.

TehLlama
10 September 2011, 20:25
A box stock Colt M4 will hit 10" targets all day at 500m with M855 if the shooter is doing their part. A 6920 with OTM Match loads and an aftermarket trigger will outshoot the majority of shooters, but you don't need to go that far.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920
With the DD 12.0 FSP handguard, tough value to beat.

Specialized Armament
12 September 2011, 15:08
The 6940 is no doubt loved and hated. Due to the design of the barrel extension, barrel nut and upper receiver, the 6940 may be the most accurate monolithic upper receiver on the market. It is essentially a self-centering barrel and our prototype DMR rifle built with a custom 18" barrel (carbine length gas system) is shooting lights out. It is still in the you never saw it stage and I would be put on double secret probation if I were to put photos up. How about a line drawing though?

d90king
30 October 2011, 10:14
I'm a big fan of monolithic uppers, but I'm not crazy about this one. I'd get a 6290 or if you really want a monolithic upper, I'd get an LMT.

I agree completely and own/owned both. The 6940's rail is just to short, and for me I have to compromise my normal shooting grip when shooting the Colt. When you throw the MRP's barrel change capabilities and LMT's quality into the mix, it really is a no brainer IMHO. They also run different gas lengths so some might consider this another bonus in todays mid length crazy marketplace.

The 6940 is a great rifle and is actually very accurate, but it really does limit your options down the road... If you want a Colt I would just look for a 6920 and after you learn to run it you will be able to build on it accordingly.

et2041
1 December 2011, 05:58
That is a great price on the 6920. We just completed another individual officer purchase and paid $920 a rifle.