PDA

View Full Version : PSA Upper Half Quality

lamarbrog
10 September 2011, 18:27
They're claiming good specs... but High Standard claimed good specs and that thing is less than satisfactory.

Are they using normal gas key fasteners instead of the YFS ones? Is the staking good?

I'm probably going to order one of their 20" FN uppers if you guys tell me good things. What's the scoop? I ordered CMMG a few years ago when it was "Almost as good as a Colt, except half the price" and 6 months later everyone started jumping all over the bolt steel, saying they were using 4140 in some barrels, and that the bores weren't concentric.

I just don't want to order a PSA and a week later have 100 reviews that say it is garbage worse than Hesse. Seems to be my luck...

Will this upper do great and wonderful things?

brit
10 September 2011, 21:45
They also offer CHF stainless barrels, never seen those before. :shrug:

lamarbrog
11 September 2011, 11:53
My understanding is that Ruger CHFs their rifle barrels... this would indicate to me it isn't that difficult or anything- maybe it just never caught on with the AR15.

I ordered a 20" FN PSA upper last night... so I guess I might be doing the first detailed photographs of the guts of it. Someone has to be the guinea pig I guess, might as well be me.

The way I figure, for $420 shipped... It has an FN barrel, a forged upper, and (based on internet rumor) a bolt with a "MP" mark identical to a BCM. I can't really lose too badly on it.

bcammons
11 September 2011, 22:49
On arf or m4c, I cant remember which, they are saying that their barrels are forgerd by FN.
My bolt in my MP-15 and Spikes had the same MP marking. AFAIK, the MP-15 bolts were LMT and the Spikes are made by AO Precision?

lamarbrog
11 September 2011, 23:19
This one was advertised as being an FN-marked barrel.

The bolt is supposed to be Carpenter alloy No. 158, shot peened, HPT, and MPI.

As long as their gas key has good fasteners and is staked well, this should be good. When it arrives, I'll create a new thread with a detailed inspection of it, including photographs. There seems to be an acute lack of detailed information on these.