PDA

View Full Version : Help! This can't be right. Battle Arms Development Selector

ghostman1960
12 September 2011, 15:13
Roger contacted me and asked me if I wanted a new center piece for my selector as the new piece had shallower grooves and locked up tighter than the original. The problem is that while yes it does lock up tighter, it also swings into the full auto position. To get get it back to the fire or safe position I have to press in on the right side of the selector. Is there a fix? Am I doing something wrong? Here are some pics.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/2011-09-12173741.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/2011-09-12174822.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/2011-09-12174902.jpg

ETA: Roger wants me to send this one back. I think I got a fluke. He has never seen one do this before.

Trident1982
12 September 2011, 15:47
I would start completely over...remove the detent spring...detent, and selector center, then make sure the detent spring is as it should be, the detent has it's tip properly formed, and SLOWLY reinstall everything per BAD direction guide. Then report back.

I have found that almost all things related to the selector being problematic lie in the proper spring and detent movement/length/tension.

ghostman1960
12 September 2011, 15:52
Done that, been there, got the tee shirt. I even tested it with the old center, a colt and a DD selector and they worked fine. There is something seriously wrong with this center.

ghostman1960
12 September 2011, 16:38
Roger wants me to send this one back. I think I got a fluke. He has never seen one do this before.

ghostman1960
14 September 2011, 12:29
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF4084-1.jpg

lamarbrog
14 September 2011, 15:46
Probably about 80% of safeties can be pushed into the full auto position if you get the angle just right. Is it really easy to get it into the FA position, or do you have to force it?

Paulo_Santos
14 September 2011, 15:54
I'd definitely send it back to Roger.

Duffy
15 September 2011, 05:37
A new selector center should arrive today or tomorrow, this is really odd as we've never heard of it before. Many things reported to us sound odd because we never tried it, such as pushing it to the Auto position lol.

The new centers have shallower detent grooves, but they should not allow the selector to go Auto, I think it's a fluke :)

Duffy
15 September 2011, 16:08
We'll be issueing a refund. The new center (second one we shipped) does the same thing. We can't get any of either the old or new to rotate to Auto, we'll have to accept that the variables that exist on some receivers/detent/pistol grip stacked up against the OP.

These semi auto selectors are in use with hard use shooters, I keep an open mind that anything could happen, but over 14 months, this has never been reported before. I'd have to take a hammer to my selector to rotate it to Auto. Alas we do not have the OP's receiver so we can't see or replicate the problem.

As a company, we're very open and outspoken about changes and issues. What's happened here can't be explained without us having a look at it. We'd have to accept that not everyone will be happy with our products. Left to us, we'd try to fix it even if it's not our problem, but the OP has decided not to proceed with it, thus the refund offer.

My apologies to ghostman, we have sent 4 different centers and none of them has worked for you, I don't blame you for being upset.

CarlosDJackal
15 September 2011, 18:14
Intresting, would the OP care to share who made the receiver? I'd like to know which one this lever does not work with. FWIW, I have one of their 45-degree models that I have installed on an AXTS A-DAC receiver and have yet to encounter any issues. YMMV.

Duffy
16 September 2011, 05:30
The only receiver it's incompatible with is the SW 22 receiver, as it is thicker and incompatible with any standard AR selector.

ghostman1960
19 September 2011, 05:01
I'm not in the least upset Duffy. You went above and beyond to try and rectify the problem. My problem cost you way more than a refund would so that's why I declined the refund. I appreciate everything you did to try and help me out.

Duffy
19 September 2011, 05:50
ghostman, if you don't mind, I'd like to send you a center from the October production run. These centers will have a detent groove height between the original (deep) and the August run (shallow) :)

ghostman1960
19 September 2011, 09:38
That would be nice but I sent everything back and have no levers to put on the center.

Aragorn
19 September 2011, 15:13
Ghostman, I have an extra short-fat and short-thin that I do not intend to use. I ended up using the standard and an endcap and don't plan to use the short levers. I can send those to you to use with the center if you are interested. Only thing left you would need would be the wrench.

Duffy
19 September 2011, 16:22
Thanks Aragorn, we'll take care of it :) When the October production units come in, I will ship ghostman the new center and levers :)

Aragorn
19 September 2011, 18:40
Hey no problem, always eager to help. :)

Duffy
5 October 2011, 20:46
Ghostman, a latest production set is going your way tomorrow :)

neo9710
6 October 2011, 05:37
I don't mean to hijack this thread at all so Mods please except my apologies if I break any of the rules here. I was going to send this as a PM but I think other here would agree with me on this one..

Duffy,

I am truly amazed at your intent of customer satisfaction. It is obvious that you truly stand by your product and your not out there just to make a buck. Many of us have been truly disappointed in the realm of customer service in every aspect of our lives. But I just wanted to take a second and give you and your company credit where it is deserved. Great follow through...not to mention an outstanding product.

Duffy
6 October 2011, 05:59
Thanks Neo, the OP purchased the original set from Rainier Arms, it is our job to make sure he has a working product or money back.

In the last run, we replaced 2 or 3 centers due to their out of spec detent holes. My test receiver didn't go to full auto, but it did rotate the other direction until I replaced the old and worn out detent with a KNS detent.

The latest production centers have a detent groove height that's between the original (fairly deep) and the August run (as shallow as some cast selectors). By using cast selector detent groove and hole specs, we opened the door to a host of potential troubles, we were trying to appease a small percentage of users whose selectors feel mushy because the detent groove was deeper.

Future runs won't be changed any more, it has a slightly shallower detent groove than the original, but nowhere as shallow as some cast selectors.

ghostman1960
10 November 2011, 19:55
I have committed a faux passe and neglected to mention that Roger sent me a new center and it works perfectly. Thank you sir.

Ryo
12 November 2011, 10:52
Very cool. Roger is a awesome guy. Glad it all worked out in the end

Duffy
15 November 2011, 10:48
Thanks ghostman, I appreciate the mention :)