PDA

View Full Version : What color should I get?

lamarbrog
16 September 2011, 09:12
I'm going to order a TAG Marine Gladiator Chest Rig w/ Bib today- seems like the features I need, without a lot I don't need, and a fair price.

I can't decide on color, though. I currently reside in Northern Utah, but also spend a lot of time in Southeast Texas. So, a mix of dead grass, some evergreen forest, and swamp.

Here are the colors offered I am considering, I'd appreciate pros, cons, experience, opinions, BS, etc.

I consider Ranger Green to be visually appealing but I don't think it would blend well in the dead grass that seems fairly prevalent in Utah.

A-TACS looks really good to me as far as blending goes but seems to be pretty specific to dry dirt/dead grass. When among trees, and during green parts of the year I can't see it being very effective. I've never seen A-TACS in person that I can recall, though.

Coyote would be okay if I added pouches of different colors... but I think I can do better.

Is Multicam still where it's at? It's always impressed me, and that's what I am currently leaning towards. I don't want to spend $150 and learn a week later that I should have gotten A-TACs, etc.

So, what's the scoop?

TehLlama
16 September 2011, 17:18
I'd put it between sage/foliage green and basic tan/coyote if you're trying to keep it somewhat low profile. If blending in with civilian stuff is NOT relevant, then MC all the way. ATACS is a great pattern, but right now with only the desert being out it would be a touch mixed - think of it like the MARPAT Desert/AOR1 pattern with a touch of sage/foliage added in. Better than I expected among scrub brush, but in the middle of the rainy season it looks very desert-y by comparison... but still very effective breakup.

Foliage green and tan both blend well enough (keep in mind that without a uniform or some sort of matching clothing, breakup and general colors will help but not be enough to prevent ovservation) while not standing out to the sheeple as militaria.

Being in NM (similar to Southern TX), I've gone with predominantly tan gear, with coyote parts over it. The vehicle packs or other items I see more everyday use with are all Tan or Foliage green, or basic black.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by sticking with primary colors - they'll always be available, you can get them from more places (ATACS only from TT, TAG, Condor, SOE, and a couple others right now), and you can always break out some RIT dye or spray paint and recolor your gear.

lamarbrog
17 September 2011, 08:26
I ended up going with Coyote.