PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a Soldier

Bladeclctr
10 March 2008, 09:59
I came here by way of different forums, drooling over the pictures that Stick posts.

I will be buying my first AR when I return from this deployment. Plenty of experience firing, carrying the G.I. issue versions, but the time has come for me to procure my own.

I've been searching, researching, and patiently waiting to find something that will fit my wants and needs (plus household 6 finally gave me the go-ahead), for about two years now!

This rifle will be primarily for home defense, target practice, and various classes I plan on attending at some time in the future, hopefully sooner than later.

I'm leaning more towards Noveske than anything else.

Most of the pesos will come from me selling off a few Blades (hence the screen name), and as a G.I., I don't have all the money in the world, so this rifle I buy will be the ONLY one for a long while.

Now I know I'll be happy with any Noveske rifle. I like the N4, not too convinced about the weld showing on the FH though. I know it's cosmetic, and a hard use rifle isn't going to be pretty, and I'm not concerned about any blemishes I'm going to put on the rifle, I just don't like the weld showing and for some reason and can't get past that. Petty I know. [crazy]

Please forgive me for asking these stupid questions I'm about to ask.

What exactly is a SBR tax stamp? I know I end up paying a few hundred dollars extra to have paperwork done for a shorter barreled rifle, but can someone explain to me the SBR process. I like the KX3 FH, and I know it's basically for SBR's to reduce muzzle flash and noise.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I want before I get back home, so I don't spend two more years trying to research what I want.

I've read somewhere I might be able to get a .mil discount which helps.

I've also given thought to asking Ranier Arms to help me out in building what I want.

Any reason I shouldn't go with Noveske. Should I go with a Piston Upper?

PMAGs are a given. I'll need a new sling even though I have about four different 2 and 3 points aready.What kind of Optic when I can afford it? Although I've already narrowed it down to Aimpoint or Trijicon. I've got a Grip-Pod so I'm covered there. I've got plenty of Surefires, covered there.

What caliber? I'm not the biggest fan of .223/5.56. I like what I've read about 6.8, but I'm not certain about availability.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long for my first post.

Phil

NvrenufRR
10 March 2008, 15:11
I came here by way of different forums, drooling over the pictures that Stick posts.

I will be buying my first AR when I return from this deployment. Plenty of experience firing, carrying the G.I. issue versions, but the time has come for me to procure my own.

I've been searching, researching, and patiently waiting to find something that will fit my wants and needs (plus household 6 finally gave me the go-ahead), for about two years now!

This rifle will be primarily for home defense, target practice, and various classes I plan on attending at some time in the future, hopefully sooner than later.

I'm leaning more towards Noveske than anything else.

Most of the pesos will come from me selling off a few Blades (hence the screen name), and as a G.I., I don't have all the money in the world, so this rifle I buy will be the ONLY one for a long while.

Now I know I'll be happy with any Noveske rifle. I like the N4, not too convinced about the weld showing on the FH though. I know it's cosmetic, and a hard use rifle isn't going to be pretty, and I'm not concerned about any blemishes I'm going to put on the rifle, I just don't like the weld showing and for some reason and can't get past that. Petty I know. [crazy]

Please forgive me for asking these stupid questions I'm about to ask.

What exactly is a SBR tax stamp? I know I end up paying a few hundred dollars extra to have paperwork done for a shorter barreled rifle, but can someone explain to me the SBR process. I like the KX3 FH, and I know it's basically for SBR's to reduce muzzle flash and noise.

SBR is ANY rifle that has a TOTAL barrel lentgh of less than 16.1". Now, you can have a 14.5 W. a permanently attached FH, or a 13.7 with a Permanently attached KX3, Noveske can make this for you.
IMO, unless you are going a 10" route, a SBR is not worth it. Your familiar with the AR/M16 platform in either a M4 or A4 configuration, so go with what you know.
SBR's are noisy, and your not going to get distance like a 14.5-16" accuracy.
I liked my Kx3, but mine was for looks, it did reduce flip, but was noisy a hell and spit a huge flame.

Basically I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I want before I get back home, so I don't spend two more years trying to research what I want.

I've read somewhere I might be able to get a .mil discount which helps.
You can ask dealers

I've also given thought to asking Ranier Arms to help me out in building what I want.
John and Stick are A++ to deal with, my 1st go to guys and 1st recomendations

I've never had a problem with direct impingement, but The piston MRP has my eye and is on the list. They don't heat up as fast, cool faster, are easier to clean, and run longer. I've heard barrel life is also extended.

I guess it's a personel preference thing.
If yoyr going to spend the big $$$ buy the MRP piston platform, you can change out barrel lengths, and keep consistent zero on 1 optic.
If you want to go a SBR, I THINK you have to get a dedicated SBR LOWER though.

PMAGs are a given. I'll need a new sling even though I have about four different 2 and 3 points aready.What kind of Optic when I can afford it? Although I've already narrowed it down to Aimpoint or Trijicon. I've got a Grip-Pod so I'm covered there. I've got plenty of Surefires, covered there.

PMAGS for sure, LOTS OF PMAGS, don't forget Cproducts SS mags either, both A++ products.
I like single point HK style slings myself.
I vote Aimpoint ML3/M4 2 MOA reticle and LARUE or ARMS mount. If you want the magnification, get the magnifier later. I have 4 ACOGS, LOVE them, BUT, Aimpoint is just more feasible and leaves more room in the budget for ammo and accesories.

What caliber? I'm not the biggest fan of .223/5.56. I like what I've read about 6.8, but I'm not certain about availability.

5.56 is all you'll need IMO.
I have 6.8SPC also, but ammo is still somewhat scarce, If you go the 6.8SPC route, get a reloader and make your ammo Silver State Armory has 6.8 in stock all the time, match, plinking, and hunting rounds. If your not going to reload, keep your brass and sell it, People will buy it.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long for my first post.

I'd give thought to adding trijicon Tritium sights in the front post, I love them and make the addition to all my Carbines.
ARMS #40's are good BUIS, Troy is better, and LMT A2 style is great also.
Get a good chamber cleaning kit from dewey, they offer a package for $30 that has tools to clean the carrier and chamber.
A Good Bore guide from Sinclair od Dewey also, A Delrin coated cleaning rod, and GOOD cleaning products, (NOT CLP or Break free)
I use Militec-1 on 1 test carbine for lube. Proper break in was followed, then thorough clean and re-lube. Then I torture tested it over 6k rounds only adding a drop of lube to the bolt every once in awhile and NEVER had any sort malfunction.

Most of the rifle is about looks to you it sounds like, so, I would give alot of thought between the MRP piston and the N4.

Phil

Good Luck, Keep us posted and show some pics when you finally decide!

[pop]

Stickman
10 March 2008, 19:09
Before I feel I can make any legit comments, I need to get a ballpark idea of what you are looking for this weapon to do. My own goals for a weapon which is part of the Stick "lend lease program" are different than a weapon that I carry as a duty or alternate duty carbine.

Give me an idea where you are headed on this one, and I can give you some answers, but I without knowing you and your uses, I wouldn't presume to know what would serve you well.

Hopefully that makes a little sense.

Bladeclctr
10 March 2008, 23:18
I'm not in a position to carry my personal weapon, so it won't be for duty. Not that I wouldn't like to. Most of the time I get something that has been passed down for years by numerous people who could care less and don't take care of what they have. Sad but true. A majority of the time I carry a 9mm.

I know there is no such thing as a "Be all, End all" weapon, but like I said, this one will have to fit the bill for most everything I'll do, I'm only going to have this "One". I know, just like anything else, they're addicting, we'll see where this goes.

Whatever I get, I want a Noveske Barrel in it, from what I've read, you can't beat them.

I want a railed forend for accessories If I ever intend to add them to the weapon, which I do.

I don't have any experience with weapons stocks other than the colapsable on an issue M-4 or standard on an A2. I like the looks of the SOPMOD a little more than the VLTOR. Pros/Cons? I understand I need to go with what works for me, but I've never used either.

For Optics I think I've decided on a Aimpoint Comp M4, not sure about the mounts yet. I'll more than likely shoot anything over 300m, mostly 100m and under.

I have absolutely no experience with pistons, so I guess I shouldn't go for that one. Not for a first weapon anyway.

Home defense, target practice, training classes. Hopefully i'm not being to vague.

No idea what this is: the Stick "lend lease program"

caporider
11 March 2008, 08:09
If you can have only one multi-purpose carbine, I think you can't go wrong with a Noveske N4 Light Carbine, Basic. The barrel will last WAY longer than a normal AR barrel, and you can bet it's a shooter because John Noveske simply will not produce an inaccurate rifle. Choose the Surefire 556K flash suppressor so you at least have the option of mounting a can should you decide at a later date that is something you'd like to do. This is kind of important because, as you probably know, the muzzle device will be permanently attached to bring the 14.5" barrel past the legally required 16" to avoid SBR status and the resulting $200 tax stamp.

Swap out the standard M4 handguards with the Daniel Defense Omega rail, which is a great free-floating railed handguard that installs in about 5 minutes with no modifications to the rifle. The Omega rail has built in flush cups for sling swivels, as does the Noveske's Vltor stock, so you just need a couple of swivels and a good 2 point sling (VTAC, Blue Force Gear Vickers, Larue Tactical -- any of these will serve you well)

The Aimpoint M4 is a great sight, but it is pretty big and bulky and some folks don't like the big battery compartment at the 2 o' clock position. If you can, get some time behind an Aimpoint T-1 Micro. These things are practically weightless, but offer the same tough Aimpoint construction and optics, albeit in a smaller tube diameter. However, this hardly matters as the Aimpoints are all designed to be shot with both eyes open, so the dot reticle typically just "floats" in your field of view as long as you have your rifle mounted (heck, you probably already know this). You can also use the T-1 with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a Larue Tactical flip mount if you want to do longer range targer ID or take shots out past 300 yards.

As for the SOPMOD stock: unless you have a compelling need for it, there are better uses for $200. The Vltor has sloping battery compartments like the SOPMOD, so the cheekweld is very similar. One note: the Vltor will grab at any facial hair more than the SOPMOD will, so that's something to consider if you have a beard. The only major step up I'd consider is something like a Magpul UBR, but these are quite heavy and may not balance well on a light carbine.

So, I'd configure a carbine like this:

Noveske N4: $1400
DD Omega Rail: $250
Sling swivels: $30
Sling: $50
Aimpoint T-1 Micro: $540
Larue Tactical T-1 Micro High Mount: $100

(You may be able to get lower pricing on much of this stuff if you cruise the for-sale sections of ar15.com.)

There's a potent, useful, easy-handling package that will last pretty much forever, get you from 0-300 yards, shoot lightbulbs out, and just keep working when you need it to work. Once you catch Black Rifle Disease, you can use this carbine as a great baseline for adding all sorts of stuff if you want.

Spend a bit of money on good ammo for self defense use. Overall, the Hornady TAP 75gr 5.56-pressure load is hard to beat for accuracy, barrier penetration, and terminal ballistic effects. It should shoot great out of an N4. I personally don't think the Mk262 is worth the cost. For practice and classes, you can pick up PMC or Sellier & Bellot or Winchester or what have you for much less than you'd spend on 6.8SPC.

Final note: you will not be able to cut the barrel down on the N4 to create an SBR in the future, as the chrome lining in the barrel is too think. One of the very few prices you pay for going with the best...

Anyway, good luck!

Bladeclctr
11 March 2008, 11:40
Thanks for the info everyone!

Just checking the Noveske site yet again and noticed they have the
"N4 Light Recce 16" up available mid-April.

Other than the extra 1" rail real estate and a 1 1/2'" longer barrel it's the same as the N4 LLP, unless I'm missing something.

Other than not having a perm-installed FH what's the benefit to the longer barrel?

Once again, sorry for the dumbass question.[crazy]

Stickman
11 March 2008, 12:28
It would be hard to go wrong with any of the Noveske carbines, and if you are looking for an outstanding general purpose weapon, I think the Noveske N4 series may be exactly what you are looking for.

The 16" barrel gives a slightly higher velocity than the 14.5". The 14.5 is available with the pinned FS, so its the shortest you can go without the SBR.

Bladeclctr
11 March 2008, 12:39
Thanks Stick.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Noveske rifle when I get back home. Just have to decide which one in which configuration. ;)

Maybe the N4 with the 11" rail and the 14.5 barrel if possible.

Three more months to contemplate everything and windowshop.

Cohibra45
17 March 2008, 14:11
Welcome to the forum...I too am a noobie when it comes to ARs. I chose an LMT CQB MRP piston. The reason is I have heard good/great things about the company and have a great dealer/gunsmith nearby that shoots LMTs target and hunting. Noveske is another great rifle maker with great products.

I will be punching paper mostly and using it for hunting also. I am probably going to get another barrel/BCG for my rifle in 6.8 SPC. Some states don't allow the 5.56/223 for hunting so make sure your state does. I would also recommend this forum for information about the 6.8....

http://www.68forums.com/

Art of SSA and Tim Hicks of Kotonics frequents there and it, like this forum is, full of respectful people that like to help us new guys out ;) !!!

That is why I like this site so much [:D] !!! The people are knowledgable and helpful.

Take care,

Kelly

BTW, I have a small collection (5 or 6) of fixed blades also. I should be getting my Randall in another month. I like Bowies and long bladed combat knives.

John Hwang
18 March 2008, 07:46
Thanks for the info everyone!

Just checking the Noveske site yet again and noticed they have the
"N4 Light Recce 16" up available mid-April.

Other than the extra 1" rail real estate and a 1 1/2'" longer barrel it's the same as the N4 LLP, unless I'm missing something.

Other than not having a perm-installed FH what's the benefit to the longer barrel?

Once again, sorry for the dumbass question.[crazy]

The main advantage to the Recce is not the extra 1.5" barrel but the Mid gas system design.

John Hwang
18 March 2008, 07:52
Welcome to the forum...I too am a noobie when it comes to ARs. I chose an LMT CQB MRP piston. The reason is I have heard good/great things about the company and have a great dealer/gunsmith nearby that shoots LMTs target and hunting. Noveske is another great rifle maker with great products.

Can't go wrong with the LMT CQB MRP Piston systems. I can't wait to get my hands on them. I spoke with LMT about a week or so ago and was told ETAs on them

Ship Dates
June - Complete Piston Rifles
July - Complete Piston Uppers
August - Drop in Piston Kits for existing CQB MRPs

Cohibra45
19 March 2008, 09:12
John,

Next time you speak with LMT, would you please find out if/when they are planning on bringing out the piston in their MRP rifle platform? I am thinking that I would like to see them come out with that platform with an 18" or 20" 6.8 stainless with the Spec II chamber and 1:11 or 1:12 twist. [:D]

Kelly (Cohibra45)

parabellum
19 March 2008, 22:49

Unless you are planning on extended full auto sessions or shooting with a can, there's no real need for a piston. But with Noveske's new adjustable gas block, it makes shooting with a can less problematic on DI systems. Cleaning is easier with a piston, but being military you are probably used to PMCS and it shouldn't be a big deal.

So in short, as others have said, there is no reason not to go with Noveske, but you cant go wrong with LMT either. If you are choosing between those two, you are in good shape.

I was dead set on a LMT MRP piston system, but I decided to go with the new 16" middy N4 instead. I really think the new LMT system is cool and I know it will be a success. The reasons why I went with the N4 Recce are because the N4 upper is a true AR and can use off the shelf replacement parts and because of weight.

If you dont like the 16" Recce in its present configuration, Basic and VIS versions will be out in the future. For me it was a pretty easy choice - I already have a VIS and a Basic, so I figured I'd check out Low Profile this time around, if for no other reason than variety.

TigerStripe
20 March 2008, 19:33
I would get a piston system. As a soldier, you know how much you have to clean an M16/M4. If you don't mind cleaning your weapon that much, the Noveske is a great carbine. If you don't want to have to clean your weapon for it to function, go piston. I personally have a POF. Zero malfunctions in three years.

TS

Bladeclctr
24 March 2008, 04:01
I’ve shared E-mail’s with John @ Noveske and he’s sold me, excellent customer service!

I’m working on a deal for a 13.7 Infidel in 6.8 from a friend and I think I’ll get the N4 Recce as well, keeping fingers crossed anyway.

Phil