PDA

View Full Version : FNH SLP Mk1 - Quick Review

Fried Chicken Blowout
20 September 2011, 19:35
So I thought I'd kick off my membership here at Weapon Evolution with a quick write up for the FNH SLP Mk1. I've had many shotguns in the past. I've shot 3-Gun in the past with pump gun and never liked dealing with the pump action and the amount of recoil they've had. I've sold every one of the pump guns that I had in the past. The reason I've been so hesitant to get another shotgun is because I know I don't want a pump, but I've heard so much negative stuff about semi-auto shotguns. Well I guess I picked the right one this time, the FNH SLP Mk1.

I initially had been resistant on spending this much money on a new shotgun, but I've been watching 3-Gun Nation and I decided to drink the Koolaid... I started looking at different auto shotguns that would get me what I wanted... Ready to roll out of the box was my main concern. I didn't really want to add anything to it to get me running. AND... I shoot long guns left handed to make matters worse. I needed a gun with a reversible safety and the SLP Mk1 had it!!.... Very exciting. So I hopped on Bud Guns website and got to ordering this new baby...

Unfortuanately, it took Buds over a week to get it in the mail so it was over two weeks before my FFL had my new stick... Oh boy but worth the wait it was. What a machine it is. I broke it down and cleaned it with ease. The safety was flipped in a matter of mins. I replaced the bold handle and installed the Benelli over sized bolt release from Nordic Components all on the first night. The next day I went shooting.

It took every type of ammo that i put in it. Cheap bulk bird shot, 00 Buck in standard loads and low recoil loads and from every maker of ammo that I had. I put about 200 rounds through it without a single failure. No matter how fast I shot it, no matter what the angle, no matter how much support I gave it... It shot everything I threw at it. I did my best Tom Knapp impression and shot it from the hip, shot it over my head, shot it upside down... And every which way but it feed and shot without issue... ZERO failures. SWEET!

I also got my new 3-Gun rifle tested and broken in. After shooting for the full day, I brought everything home and cleaned it all up. I'll be shooting my first 3-Gun match with the new shotgun this Saturday. I'll post more photos and thought after the match. I'll actually be loaning this baby out to my dad who will be shooting his first 3-Gun match with it this Saturday.

Did I mention that the shotgun is wicked badass!!!

http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia/100686/IMG_2142/web.jpg?ver=13165680980001

http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia/100686/IMG_2149/web.jpg?ver=13165681100001

http://gallery.me.com/jason_alicia/100686/IMG_2155/web.jpg?ver=13165681160001

neo9710
22 September 2011, 14:57
I had a chance to use that same shotgun at a 3 gun match in my area and I liked. Smooth..cycled well..and I could keep it under control no matter how fast I pulled the trigger. The one problem I have noticed is availablility! Not a lot of places around here have it in stock! They keep on telling me that they are backordered. Also, their cost went up this year..I should of bought one last year!!!:mad:

Fried Chicken Blowout
22 September 2011, 16:13
Both version are in stock at Bud's Gun Shop where I ordered mine. They have an easy process to pick an FFL so all the work is done for you. Just order and then call the place you decided to ship it to. My FFL only charges $20 per transfer so the lack of sales tax is a no brainer to order all my guns and pay the FFL.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_246

I put another 100 rounds through it today along with 10 slugs... Zero failures again. The factory flip up sight is dead on with full power slugs at 50 yards.

Can't wait for the match on Saturday.

neo9710
10 November 2011, 15:29
I thought I would add on to this report….

I had the chance to use the SLP shotgun for the NC Recon a couple weeks ago. Here’s a little history – I don’t own a shotgun. The only experience I have with a shotgun is when I requalify with my Mossberg pump action at work.

Seven of us went to the competition. One of us was using his Saiga-12 and the FNH was his backup shotgun so he let me use it. There were actually two of us using the shotgun since neither of us own one. I think we fired about 150 rounds each through the shotgun and it ran without a hitch. This competition put us in different positions and really put the gun through its paces. The shotgun was incredibly stable no matter what position I was in and I felt comfortable taking all my shots. One one stage, I had to run and crawl on my stomach underneath some wood contraption and engage 8 steel targets. I winded up crawling underneath, turned slightly on my side and took aim. This allowed me to firmly plant the butt of the shotgun and take the shots. Even with the shotgun canted, no jam. It ejected the shell and carried on.

The only thing holding this shotgun back – WAS ME! I cant reload a shotgun fast worth a damn! I kept on jamming my thumb – nothing practice wont cure. Would I buy this shotgun? In a heartbeat. I believe the prices have gone up because I remember the price was under $1000.00 and now the prices are about $1100.00 – if you can find one..