PDA

View Full Version : SWS or C4 Rail?

quint38
22 September 2011, 11:33
I have a dilemma as to which rifle/rail combo to purchase. I initially wanted a factory complete rifle (esp. since of the release of the Noveske FFL) but then saw the C4 rail. I am looking at the Noveske FSR or the Basic w/ the Centurion C4 (Rainier has the Basic w/ the FFL). How does the SWS rail stack up against the Centurion C4 rail? I have seen RobS chart and know the weight difference between the two. I like the exclusivity of the SWS. However, would the lighter C4 balance a 16" Reece better compared to say a SR15? I have held a the SWS rail but have not been able to experience a C4 rail. I know everyone's preference is different but, any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

John Hwang
22 September 2011, 22:10
They are both outstanding in terms of quality. The SWS rails are sturdier than the C4 but come at a cost of added weight. Don't get me wrong, the C4 is also very stout and will handle just about anything you throw at it. However, one is stronger & heavier and the other is lighter and not as stout. There may be a question on availability of the SWS rail system. Also, with the SWS, you will need to take the whole upper apart where the C4 rail, you can get away with just dremeling off the delta ring.

TehLlama
24 September 2011, 03:56
I would consider the value of the SWS to be somewhat compromised unless you're getting a complete Noveske upper. They aren't badly priced, but when packaged with complete rifles (especially if the FFL lower is something you indeed want) the SWS starts to make more sense.

That said, my preference would be for the C4 rail - compatible with more handguard covers, has both QD (front and rear), and IMO any Noveske Stainless 16" Upper shines with minimal extra weight on it - not a knock against the SWS, it's pretty svelte for what it is, but trimming ounces can be noticeable.

The personal preference has the most to do with the handguard profile/contour - what shape it is when viewed from the front. More oval, more rounded, bottom rail tucked up or hanging down are the primary options like that. If you have a chance to try each type of rail system, if possible in different lengths, see what your personal preference is, then work from there. I own plenty of excellent high end rail systems on uppers that go unused because I happen to like the shape of a cheaper one on a different upper.