PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Optics SPARC Torture Test Review

zero7one
13 October 2011, 15:18
http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_001.jpg

The Vortex Optics SPARC (Speed Pointing Aiming for Rapid Combat) Red Dot Optic is a compact and affordable (MSRP $289) alternative for Police Patrol Rifle and other weapon systems.

I purchased the SPARC with the hopes that it could be torture tested and approved for Patrol Duty Use on my duty rifle.

The SPARC comes packaged with the following: The SPARC optic, rubber lens hoods, 2x Multiplier, three different height mounts, two batteries (CR2354), all necessary screws, hex wrench, and a cleaning cloth.

http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_002.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:
Waterproof: Yes
Fogproof: Nitrogen gas purging
Shockproof: Yes
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Reticle Dot Size: 2 MOA
Reticle Dot Color: Red
Illumination: Variable 10-position intensity / Night Vision Mode
Magnification : 1x (2x with add-on magnifier)
Weight: 5.2 ounces
Length: 3 inches
Objective Lens Diameter: 22mm
Ocular Diameter: 22mm
Battery Life (Max Brightness): 120 hours
Battery Life (Min Brightness): 3400 hours

http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_007.jpg

I conducted a series of torture tests on the SPARC from August 22-25, 2011. The torture tests and results are as follows:

ZEROING:
After mounting the SPARC on my AR-15 in the forward most position of my railed upper receiver, I aligned the red dot of the optic with my previously zeroed Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS). I utilized a tall-oval bull’s-eye target (5x per target) and conducted all zeroing at the 50 yard line using practice ammunition. I fired 10 rounds at the target to ensure that there were no inconsistencies with the sight alignment or sight picture. Once I determined that there was a tight grouping of shots I started to make adjustments on the SPARC. I fired approximately another 30 rounds to confirm zero.

The SPARC has two adjustment knobs, which are securely covered with a screw cap to prevent any accidental adjustments in zero. The adjustment knobs can be turned utilizing a large flat-head screwdriver or a coin. The adjustment knobs are marked clearly with arrows and with what direction (up or right) the point of impact will be changed by turning the knob. The SPARC can be adjusted in 1 MOA adjustments per click with a total of 90 MOA adjustments possible for both windage and elevation.

TORTURE TEST #1:
I removed the SPARC from my AR-15 and stood at the 50 yard line of the range. I threw the SPARC, in a high angle arc, to the 15 yard line (35 yard distance). I inspected the SPARC to see no deformities and the SPARC remained lit. I then threw the SPARC back to the 50 yard line in the same fashion with the same results. The point of impact of the ground was dry hard dirt and grass.

I remounted the SPARC and fired 20 additional rounds at a fresh target. All rounds were in a tight grouping and the initial zero was maintained.

TORTURE TEST #2:
I removed the SPARC from my AR-15 and entered our range house. While standing on a chair I held the SPARC to the ceiling, which was approximately eight feet from ceiling to floor. I dropped the SPARC on the concrete floor a total of three times, allowing the SPARC to fall on a different part of the body each time. Upon inspecting the SPARC, I observed that the aluminum bezel around the objective lens was dented and there were a few scratches on the finish. The red dot remained on throughout the test.

http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_009.jpg

I remounted the SPARC and fired 20 additional rounds at a fresh target. All rounds were in a tight grouping and the initial zero was maintained. However, while firing the zero confirmation, the red dot began to flicker. I further inspected the SPARC and unscrewed the battery compartment. I observed that the provided CR2354 battery had become dented by the optic’s battery cover spring while being dropped. I replaced the CR2354 battery with the extra battery provided and conducted the zero confirmation again with an additional 20 rounds. I obtained the same results with a tight group and the zero maintained its original point of impact. The SPARC did not experience the flickering of the red dot after replacing the damaged battery.

TORTURE TEST #3:
I removed the SPARC and placed it inside a bucket. Using tap water I placed the SPARC directly underneath the stream of water. I allowed the water to pour over the SPARC from all angles. Once the bucket was full, I placed the SPARC inside the bucket and allowed it to sit for five minutes. Once the five minute test was complete I removed the SPARC and observed that the red dot was still functioning. Using high pressure air from an air hose, I blew the water away while attempting to blow the water droplets into the interior workings of the optic. I inspected the interior of the optic once the exterior of the SPARC was dry. I did not observe any water droplets inside the optic, nor was any fogging visible.

I remounted the SPARC and fired 20 additional rounds at a fresh target. All rounds were in a tight grouping and the initial zero was maintained.

TORTURE TEST #4:
I removed the SPARC and placed it inside a freezer. I left the SPARC inside the freezer for three hours, periodically checking the SPARC for continued operation. After the end of the three hour test, the SPARC continued to work. Upon pulling the SPARC out of the freezer, the exterior of the housing and lenses were coated with a thin layer of frost. I used the provided cleaning cloth and wiped the frost off of the lenses.

I remounted the SPARC and fired 20 additional rounds at a fresh target. During this reconfirmation of zero, the temperature difference (~80 deg F outside) caused the lenses to slightly fog up, though extreme temperature differences that caused the lenses to fog up are not realistic in a real-world application. At the end of the reconfirmation of zero, the groupings were tight and initial zero was maintained.

TORTURE TEST #5:
I left the SPARC mounted to my AR-15 and used a heat gun to heat the SPARC until it was too hot to touch. During the heating process the rubber covers began to smoke. None of the rubber portions of the SPARC became deformed during the heating process. The red dot remained on throughout the test.

I fired 20 additional rounds at a fresh target. All rounds were in a tight grouping and the initial zero was maintained.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
While traveling to and from the range during the test period, I stored my AR-15, with SPARC attached, in the trunk of my patrol car to simulate the rifle being carried in the trunk of a patrol car for normal duty use. The SPARC retained zero throughout all days of testing. I also conducted a rapid fire drill from distance of 7 yards with 30 rounds. All 30 rounds were within the head portion of a standard department qualification target.

After the initial zero was set, the windage and elevation knobs were not adjusted.

http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_006.jpg