PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Optics SPARC Torture Test Review Discussion

zero7one
13 October 2011, 15:28
http://zero7one.jalbum.net/Vortex_Optics/zero7one_Vortex_Optics_SPARC_006.jpg

Discussion thread for the Vortex Optics SPARC Torture Test Review

Click Here for the Review (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3413-Vortex-Optics-SPARC-Torture-Test-Review&p=31946#post31946)

Eric
13 October 2011, 19:48
When I tested the Vortex StrikeFire, I found out that it was fairly easy to bump the NV button and have the dot disappear (it took me a bit to figure out what I had done...I figured I broke it). Any similar issues? Will this be the new duty optic and if so, is it replacing something else?

brit
13 October 2011, 20:06
What's the round count on this particular model?
Do you envision putting 1-2k rounds thru it in the future?

The torture test was quite impressive. Thanks for the review.

zero7one
13 October 2011, 21:49
When I tested the Vortex StrikeFire, I found out that it was fairly easy to bump the NV button and have the dot disappear (it took me a bit to figure out what I had done...I figured I broke it). Any similar issues? Will this be the new duty optic and if so, is it replacing something else?

The position of the NV button is an issue, though it is a minor issue, it is still something to be aware of possibly occurring. I am currently running it on my duty rifle and it only occurred while trying to climb into a tight crawl space in a detached garage. Other than that, I have not bumped it. It has replaced my EOTech 512 until I find a justifiable reason to switch back.

zero7one
13 October 2011, 21:55
What's the round count on this particular model?

As in, what is the round count that the manufacturer expects the optic to be able to handle over the life of the optic, or how many have I run through it? As for the manufacturer specs on that....I am not sure. As for me, I have put about a total of ~300 rounds into this optic.

Do you envision putting 1-2k rounds thru it in the future?

Absolutely. I have about 3,000+ rounds through this particlular rifle and I have a 3 day rifle course coming up in the next few months where I will have many many more rounds run through.

brit
13 October 2011, 23:53
I should have clarified, I was wondering how many rounds you had put thru your rifle with the sparc mounted. 300 is a good start considering the torture involved. I think this, combined with a high round count class is enough to provide a solid basis for any recommendations you offer. I'm looking forward to reading more about this test.

Thanks again.

CCK
14 October 2011, 11:18
What kind of battery life is to be expected from this optic?

Chris

TripleBravo
14 October 2011, 12:14
Great review and torture tests!

TripleBravo
14 October 2011, 12:16
What kind of battery life is to be expected from this optic?

Chris

Chris,

It's right in the specifications at the beginning of the reveiw...

Battery Life (Max Brightness): 120 hours
Battery Life (Min Brightness): 3400 hours

CCK
14 October 2011, 18:55
Chris,

It's right in the specifications at the beginning of the reveiw...

Thanks!
I read past it twice!

CK

twheel
14 November 2011, 22:52
It's been awhile since I had reason to reply on here about anything, but:
I really have to throw a little weight behind the SPARC. For what it is , it's really an excellent sight. YMMV
I have a 6920 and am totaly old-school about iron sights. My buddy used me as a benchmark and got a 6940 with an XPS. Very nice,, almost converted me to red dot. I fired his rifle alot with his buis' both up and down,, the co-witness was too busy,visually, for me. But I did see an advantage. So I started to think and came up with a solution that I could NOT be happier with. I retained the A frame and carry handle and mounted my SPARC low, on top of the carry handle. With a quarter inch change in cheek weld, I go from irons to 2X red dot,,, very nice.
One thing I would mention is that when I recieved my SPARC in the mail, I played with it a bit before mounting it, and was a little bummed because of what I saw as a halo effeect around the outer edge from 9 thru 3 o'clock at any setting above about 3. But i also thought that the sight seamed biased way low. After mounting it and firing it, I was right, it was about 1.5 feet low at 50 yards, out of the box. I made the adjustment (very accurate and distinct clicks, nice), the click-count was accurate and the sight awesome. The red "halo" went away until about illumination level 5.
The sight goes way above "light level" 5 but it's dot starts to get fuzzy and the light level is really too much. I can't think of a time when I'd want to go above about a 3 and routinely shoot it at 1 or 2. 1500 rounds so far, including a 24" gong at 300 yards, off hand with boring repetition. New life for old eyes.

Short story made long,,, for $199 good luck getting a nicer red dot at 2 MOA and 2X..... If you do, let me know.
--twheel

twisted75gr
15 November 2011, 06:16
I've also been running the SPARC. It has served well when wondering the 25acres, and needing a quick on target incase of Hog, Cyote, ferral dog (have used it on one recently). Has taken a few bumps when slung and I'm sliding down a steep creek side, negotiating rocks, or on ATV.

I leave it on the entire time I'm out N about. 7 months months and still on the original battery. I keep two spares in the grip. I guess I'm into the battery life couple hundred hours, since I've left it on over night etc...BUT the six hour shutoff is a great feature, which has saved battery life.

I ONLY use low setting, have not needed it any brighter even when the afternoon sun was behind me whne watching couple hogs pass through. Have been caught in the rain while back and the gear got soaked...all good. Also had to run the hose over the rifle when it got muddy....all good.

Love how well the caps are tethered with rubber covered wire, as to not worry about them when I was zeroing or to adjust for range out in the element. I absolute with irons, zeroed at 50yards.

I'm sold.

zero7one
15 November 2011, 10:32
twheel and twisted75gr...thanks for your feedback.

twheel
15 November 2011, 19:58
I really enjoy adding when I can add,, other than that I tend to hold my tongue,,lol.

I do have a request for feedback though. Has anyone got any intel on how well/poor the "killflash" lens cover works? I have ZERO experience with this or similar kit.
I'm interested from a "don't give the "zombies" your position" position. But the cover almost has to cost some light transmission, and the SPARC doesn't have alot of spare light to give.
Just a shame-less request for intel.
--scott