PDA

View Full Version : Single stage or 2 stage Trigger? Stickman and other SBR expert opinions appreciated!!

Leo77
18 October 2011, 22:56
I'm trying to decide on a Single stage or a 2 stage trigger for my First SBR?
I want the best accuracy possible but also want a rapid fire trigger this is a 10" SBR and this will also be used for Home Protection/CQB.
Thanks Much

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2011, 05:16
For me, I prefer the two stage any day over a single stage. However, I would get a tactical/combat two stage trigger. The only ones I'd consider are the Geiselle.

Nuclear_Arms
19 October 2011, 09:47
I personally don't think it really matters if it's an SBR or not. What are you more comfortable shooting?

All of my rifles have two-stage triggers. The only guns I've enjoyed shooting single stagers were precision bolt guns.

Hatter
19 October 2011, 11:55
I personally don't think it really matters if it's an SBR or not. What are you more comfortable shooting?

All of my rifles have two-stage triggers. The only guns I've enjoyed shooting single stagers were precision bolt guns.

I agree with Nuclear. I know there are also a lot of 1911 shooters that prefer to transition from rifle to pistol and utilize a single stage trigger in both. Personally I've found that I like to be able to roll into the meat of a two-stage trigger and am comfortable with that control. To mimic this on my 1911's I typically run heavier triggers (always greater than 4 1/2 lbs).

Depending on your experience you may wish to start with a lesser priced single stage trigger before going to the more expensive two-stage such as Geissele. However, if you have experience and think you'll want a two-stage you may want to jump into the Geissele. It would be my recommendation as well.

a0cake
19 October 2011, 15:13
As far as "rapid fire" goes, most users will find that the average time it takes to fire a given amount of rounds is extremely similar when using both a standard mil-spec single stage trigger and a quality 2 stage like a Geissele SSA. If the two stage is found to be slower for a particular user, it will not be to an extent that it will matter in anything but the most competitive sport shooting environment. In a HD scenario, the difference would mean nothing.

I'm with Paulo_Santos in that I universally prefer two stage triggers. In a CQB environment, you simply pull all the way through the first and second stages. The Geissele triggers have a short reset (especially the E versions), so follow up shots are fast. In a long range engagement, the two stages gives you total control over the break.

My favorite trigger is the Geissele SD-E. The SD series triggers have a flat bow. This allows more precise control and makes the pull weight feel lighter than what it is. The SD-C is almost exactly the same as the SSA, it just has a flat bow. The SD-E is the equivalent of the SSA-E, with the same difference.

I don't find the E series triggers to be a liability on a fighting rifle. Many will tell you they are too light to use in a CQB environment and should only be used on long range platforms. I disagree. If you let a shot off with a Geissele E series trigger that you didn't intend to, it is because of a training deficiency, period. I'm NOT SAYING that those who prefer a heavier trigger are untrained. That is their personal preference and many skilled shooters subscribe to that belief. I'm simply saying that a light trigger such as the E is NOT DANGEROUS OR IRRESPONSIBLE to use on a general purpose rifle.

Having made my preference for 2 stage triggers clear, I'll say that there is nothing wrong with single stage triggers if that's what you are used to or if you want to have the same style trigger on your rifle / handgun combination. If you decide on a single stage, the Spikes Tactical Enhanced Trigger would be a good place to start. It's not noticeable lighter than a standard USGI trigger, but is smoother with less of the "notchiness" that you see in standard triggers.

But, again, IMO, Geissele is tops. If you want a slightly heavier 2 stage trigger that breaks "like a carrot" and has a slightly longer reset, go with the SSA or SD-C. If you want a lighter trigger that snaps "like an icicle" and has a shorter reset, go with the SSA-E / SD-E.