PDA

View Full Version : TAD Ranger Hoodie

Stickman
6 November 2011, 08:34
I've got my preliminary thoughts up in the below Army Times link, if there is anything you guys want to see addressed or questions I can answer let me know. I was recently up on Mt Rainier with this and found ti to work much better than I had thought it would.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/10/19/triple-aught-design-tad-ranger-hoodie/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/tad-ranger-hoodie/Stck_6309-A-1024-MT.jpg

d90king
7 November 2011, 09:07
Did they open up the pit area a little on the 2011 model? That was rumored to be happening... I have a 2010 version and like it A LOT but I could use a tiny bit more room in the pits when layering. Very, very warm, highly water resistant and very rugged and durable in my experience.

I also just picked up the 2011 Shagmaster hoodie which is also another great product. I ran the Shagmaster at the 3 day LAV HD class at Blackwater and it was perfect. I was able to wear it under my Brokos and LMAC w/ level 4 plates with no issues. For the 2011 edition they got rid of a lot of the bulk and IMHO got it just right. Also worth taking a look at.

Here are a couple pics illustrating fit even with some kit.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/340003_10150514136784186_503914185_11174646_847576 460_o.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/326150_10150514141754186_503914185_11174691_178456 2519_o.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/328519_10150514253764186_503914185_11175599_115201 5413_o.jpg

Ryo
7 November 2011, 23:20
How water resistant is it? That's probably one of the main reason why I haven't looked at this model.

TripleBravo
8 November 2011, 12:28
Pay attention to the zipper. My made in the USA TAD Shagmaster zipper works great. My made in China TAD Stealth Hoodie zipper fights me every time...PIA.

d90king
9 November 2011, 03:40
How water resistant is it? That's probably one of the main reason why I haven't looked at this model.

It is actually very water resistant in my experience, especially for a fleece. I have trained in the rain on several occasions and was very surprised and pleased that it never bled through. Its not a shell but is very resistant considering the material.

skd_tactical
9 November 2011, 06:35
TAD is one of my guilty pleasures. I just ordered the Loden Green Ranger for myself - checking the UPS Tracking it should be here today!! I am on the border line between a small and a medium. I have always had to wear the medium b/c I can't stand tightness in the Armpit. If they really did let it out a bit I may be able to downsize to a small. I'll keep you posted how it fits compared to my 2008 and 2010 TAD stuff (yeah I know, I have a problem - I buy a new, different piece each year to complete the system - Luckily I started with the Hardshell and worked my way down.)
As for Water resistance it works really well for a light rain. I take it training with me all the time, I mostly use the hoodie's as a mid layer though.
I just spent a month in the Mojave Desert and I used the Merino Half zip (btw I love this thing, perfect base layer) and my Ranger Hoodie LT even on the cold nights and was just fine.

My wife is quickly catching on to TAD as well as they makes more and more female gear. TAD has changed the cut somewhat on the Women's Line. My wife is always a TAD small (Valkyrie Hoodie LT, Artemis Sweater), but with the new Valkyrie Hoodie she had to bump it up to a medium. (it fit her skin tight - which I thought was great, but not for an outer garment.) The sleeves are also shorter and it has more of a TNF cut to the hem. Great design - no complaints but she was really really bummed I made her return the small - I'm sure that'll be a fight in the future.
The Valkyrie LT in small (Black) vs The Valkyrie in small (Loden Green)
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg35/skdtactical/photobucket-987-1320848605614.jpg

SOS

tac40
9 November 2011, 08:48
Thanks for posting the review. Time to go by TAD Gear and see what's up.

neo9710
9 November 2011, 19:26
Ive been looking at them also (but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet). Can you tell us how bad a holstered weapon will print out the side? I carry a Glock 26 and I just want to see bad it is going to stick out the side. Also, how much does the jacket ride up? Especially if you are carrying a sidearm!

Ryo
9 November 2011, 22:42
Ive been looking at them also (but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet). Can you tell us how bad a holstered weapon will print out the side? I carry a Glock 26 and I just want to see bad it is going to stick out the side. Also, how much does the jacket ride up? Especially if you are carrying a sidearm!

It covers my M&P9C without issues, but I guess it would partially depend on your size.

d90king
10 November 2011, 09:22

I have found it to be a non issue carrying a G19 RTF2 in a Raven Phantom with pancake wings.

neo9710
10 November 2011, 18:59
Hey Stick - the jacket looks more brown than green..or should I say Louden Green...

d90king
11 November 2011, 06:17
Hey Stick - the jacket looks more brown than green..or should I say Louden Green...

I think its just the lighting for the pic and the combo with the brown pants that is giving it that appearance. Mine is definitely more green than brown...

BravoHotel
14 November 2011, 19:59
TAD -- one of the few gucci brands I'm truly fond of. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine and always love Fridays...even though my checkbook doesn't. Recently picked up the latest Shagmaster...really lovin' it so far. My favorite other piece is their Pratorian Hoody. Got the Artemis for the fiance as well...she's slowly beginning to understand my addiction.

In terms of their bags...love my Fastpack Litespeed and my Dispatch bag (which also has a nice back pocket for my CCW weapon).

Nuts and bolts -- TAD is usually GTG.

Stickman
17 November 2011, 00:02
My wife is quickly catching on to TAD as well as they makes more and more female gear.

SOS

How does it fit her? I'm kicking around the idea of grabbing some of their stuff for Mrs. Stick.

skd_tactical
21 November 2011, 18:02
Stick,
Her medium Valkyrie fit a little larger/ looser than the small Valkyrie LT. It works out b/c there is more room for a base layer, but until it gets cold enough she has preferred her small Valkyrie LT over the medium Valkyrie. The Mrs. is definitely in between a small Valkyrie and a medium. I contacted TAD about the new sizing and they were very happy for the feedback.
As for my Medium Ranger hoodie, it too fits a little baggier than my Ranger Hoodie LT. Maybe this is just a common theme among the full weight versus the LT models but I'm not sure. I fit a medium Ranger Hoodie LT perfectly, but I am still very comfortable (and I don't feel like I'm wearing a smock) in the regular Ranger Hoodie. I find the Ranger hoodie is very form fitting too, and still easily falls into the athletic cut category.
Both of us have found that the full weight hoodies are SIGNIFICANTLY warmer than the LT models, to the point if it isn't under 25 degrees we both grab our LT models.

SOS

2ATA
22 November 2011, 06:03
How do the sizes run on these?

I'm looking to order the Ranger and I am right on the line, measurement wise, of L vs. XL.

skd_tactical
22 November 2011, 08:40
They have a slim/ athletic cut - other than the newest ranger hoodie - they have historically been high cut in the armpit. I'm 5'10", 165lbs and need a medium due to the high cut armpits.

SOS

neo9710
29 December 2011, 14:01
Hey Stick -

Hows the review coming?

Stickman
30 December 2011, 10:17
Hey Stick -

Hows the review coming?

It is being written currently, this item did extremely well. Good materials used, high quality of workmanship, and an outstanding fit. There are cheaper ways to get a fleece jacket, but its not going to look or feel the same.

neo9710
30 December 2011, 13:35
It is being written currently, this item did extremely well. Good materials used, high quality of workmanship, and an outstanding fit. There are cheaper ways to get a fleece jacket, but its not going to look or feel the same.

They just came out with their Stealth Hoodie which appears to be a softshell, a combination of their Ranger and Stealth Hoodie. Maybe that will be sitting on your doorstep soon! Great way to start a new year!