PDA

View Full Version : Best 7.62 caliber weapon????

jteamdelo
6 November 2011, 22:10
Hey everyone, so I am planning on buying my next weapon, I proly want to get an assault rifle style weapon in 7.62 caliber, and im not sure what to get, i was looking at the Arsenal Saiga's and also some ar-10's, and the armalite m-15's, just not sure what to get, i mean id really love to get a m1a but dont have the cash flow for a gun like that, what would you recommend??? Thanks again everyone!!!

Paulo_Santos
7 November 2011, 04:24
What are you using it for? Budget?

d90king
7 November 2011, 09:13
Really hard to help without knowing your budget, accuracy expectations and what you will be doing with it. Not all SA .308's are equal in todays market.

jteamdelo
7 November 2011, 12:28
I wanted to keep my budget around $1000, and just for messing around at the rang, but i would like to not lose out on accuracy
thanks

d90king
7 November 2011, 13:06
If I only had 1k I would probably lean towards a bolt gun... 1k doesn't go very far in todays SA AR .308 game. YMMV Maybe a .308 Vepr from Atlantic.

My advice would be to save up some more money so that you can buy a quality firearm instead of buying something you wont be happy with long term.

jteamdelo
7 November 2011, 14:21
If I only had 1k I would probably lean towards a bolt gun... 1k doesn't go very far in todays SA AR .308 game. YMMV Maybe a .308 Vepr from Atlantic.

My advice would be to save up some more money so that you can buy a quality firearm instead of buying something you wont be happy with long term.

what would you recommend then if i saved up?

Ryo
7 November 2011, 23:18
Yah.. 1k isn't a lot for a semi auto 308.
I would look at LMT MWS for value, but I've never run their system..

I'm running a SR-25 without issues so far.

Question, are you looking for a tack driver at long ranges? If so semi might not be the best choice. For 1k, you might be able to buy a good Rem 700 bolt gun.

Paulo_Santos
7 November 2011, 23:35
If it is just for the range, DPMS makes decent .308 ARs. RRA is another option. If you want something decent at a good price, I'd save up and build one around the Mega Arms Monolithic upper. If you just want a real nice one at a decent price, it is hard to beat the LMT.

But if you are looking for the best accuracy at an affordable price, you can't beat a bolt gun.

d90king
8 November 2011, 04:05
what would you recommend then if i saved up?

My preference would be a 16" OBR. The LMT MWS is also a fantastic system but I find it to be a bit heavy (it's a bit front heavy IMHO). If you are going to be static with it though that shouldn't be an issue. It is a great value in its market segment ($2200-$2500). I run two MRP's, one in 5.56 the other in 6.8 and have been very happy with them over several years and thousands of rounds.

KStang986
8 November 2011, 05:01
You should be able to find an inexpensive Rock River LAR-8 (bare bones model) for around $900-$1,000. However, you will need to purchase sights and/or optics for it. The LAR-8's accuracy is superb.

jteamdelo
9 November 2011, 15:42
Thanks again everyone i really appreciate all your help so far, i was looking into the Mega Arms MA-TEN Billet .308 Upper and Lower Set, and also really looking into a springfield m1a socom ii, they would be about the same price fully complete, what would you guys prefer???

Stickman
9 November 2011, 21:22
Thanks again everyone i really appreciate all your help so far, i was looking into the Mega Arms MA-TEN Billet .308 Upper and Lower Set, and also really looking into a springfield m1a socom ii, they would be about the same price fully complete, what would you guys prefer???

If you already shoot AR15/ M4s, I would go with the Mega .308 set. The skills from one transfer over to the other.

Ryo
9 November 2011, 22:39
Mega makes good products.

Fixit69
10 November 2011, 12:17
If it's just a toy with reasonable expectation for accuracy, dpms, RR, are decent for the price.

However, the socom is a nice piece of equipment. But almost double the price. So that might throw it out of the equation for you.

Me, I'd start saving for the socom... The two I have been able to fire were sweet, and accurate.

ETA: mega is awesome

KStang986
10 November 2011, 16:40
Eh, I've owned a M1A National Match before. Very heavy, cruddy scope mount options, accuracy was very average (1.5" out of a $1,700 rifle). Manual of arms was different and a little clunky. A couple of things that really turned me off (a) no bolt release unless you install an aftermarket bolt catch, (b) safety is in the damn trigger well (c) firing hand operated charging handle. In comparison, I'm achieving sub-MOA groups out of my cheaper Rock-River LAR-8. If you go on the hide, you'll find that .308 ARs tend to shoot very accurately for substantially less (7.62 DPMSs, LAR-8s, Bushmasters).

If you're an AR15 trained guy, I'd really recommend an AR pattern 7.62 rifle. I sold my M1A, but I'm definitely keeping my LAR-8. But I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the weapon.

biblenguns
19 November 2011, 12:18
I have had several .308s, bolt and semi auto. I recently bought a PTR91. It comes with a T.C. match barrel and is very accurate. The ergonomics for me are good,but I did extend the stock and I put a vertical grip on it. It shoots any thing I feed it and take down for cleaning is a snap.
They can be had from CDNN for less than a thousand. This is a real battle type rifle and I love mine, the recoil is tame especially compared to a bolt gun. I recently bought a low profile scope mount from R.T.G for thirty bucks and mounted a four power Nikon scope on it.
The big plus is that mags can had for 1-3 dollars each, I have about twenty that I got from Old Grouches Surplus. A downside is that unless you install a port buffer for about thirty dollars , it will mangle your brass and throw it into the next county
I was looking at Cetmes but from what I have seen it is hit or miss with them, Hope this was helpful.

Striker071
20 November 2011, 19:29
FN Fal.... for the price...

MilitaryArms
21 November 2011, 17:41
I'm going to go off the reservation here and say, if you're saving your pennies, the SCAR 17S is one of the most refined .308 rifles I've ever owned. I've owned or own just about every .308 semi-auto rifle that's been popular such as the M1A, FAL (both original and domestic), HK91, AR10, etc. and without hesitation I can say the SCAR 17S bests them all. With Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr loads I was able to shoot less than 1" (5 shot groups) at 100 yards with my rifle. It's so light weight you would think it was a 5.56mm rifle.

The down side?

1) Expensive
2) Lack of spare parts
3) Mags are hard to come by

But I consider it to be the ultimate .308 military style rifle on the market right now.

Army Chief
22 November 2011, 03:18
I do not yet own a SCAR 17, but my experience with the SCAR 16 is such that it (17) would also be my first choice in a 7.62mm rifle.

AC