PDA

View Full Version : Any GREAT Deals on BILLET AR Lowers?

steelhammer
12 November 2011, 23:48
Hey Guys and Gals of Weapons Evolution, I need some help...

I’m looking to build a second AR lower in 5.56, and has anyone seen any GREAT deals on Billet AR lowers lately? I wanna keep this one a Billet but to do so and add all the extreme parts I want, the price of the lower has to stay under $170
Also, I’m NOT interested in a forged or polymer lower… ...this time.
Any help would be much appreciated.

zero7one
13 November 2011, 09:47
Rainier Arms has some blemished - due to shipping - TKS Engineering Billet Lowers (BLEM) that are regularly $210 for $125. Link Below.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2847

steelhammer
13 November 2011, 12:21
Rainier Arms has some blemished - due to shipping - TKS Engineering Billet Lowers (BLEM) that are regularly $210 for $125. Link Below.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2847

Thanks for that, looks like a great deal!
However, this billet lower is made from 6061 T6 aluminum, I think I'll hold out for a 7075 T6 aluminum.

GriffonSec
14 November 2011, 06:16
I was going to put the DDLES billet lower out there, it was 175, but it seems the price jumped up to 210. I was given one for some work I did for someone, and it's a nice lower, mates up stellar to the MUR upper. http://www.blackweaponsarmory.com/ddles-vg-1-t2-billet-ar-15-lower-receiver.html

If you can refinish yourself, you can't beat that Rainier deal on the TKS.

steelhammer
15 November 2011, 00:45
Thanks for all your replies. Seems to be a challenge, but I'm still looking.

Anarchy Arms
31 October 2012, 16:49
I know this post is old, but I figured I respond anyway in case that special deal you were looking for never materialized.

I own a manufacturing company called Anarchy Arms in Ca. We produce small run, high quality billet receivers cut from solid blocks of hardened 7075 aluminum. We sell our matched sets, cut from the same block, for 330 each. That includes the upper and the lower receiver.

Shoot me a note if you're interested.

zero7one
31 October 2012, 17:08
I know this post is old, but I figured I respond anyway in case that special deal you were looking for never materialized.

I own a manufacturing company called Anarchy Arms in Ca. We produce small run, high quality billet receivers cut from solid blocks of hardened 7075 aluminum. We sell our matched sets, cut from the same block, for 330 each. That includes the upper and the lower receiver.

Shoot me a note if you're interested.

Do you guys have a webpage, I'd be interested in seeing how your lower/upper sets look. And by the way, welcome to Weapon Evolution.

Anarchy Arms
1 November 2012, 09:33
We're a relatively new company and have primarily been selling locally. The website is in development right now.

Here is a photo bucket http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/Anarchy_Arms/library/

Ill send out the website when its complete.

Thanks!

AA

Anarchy Arms
2 November 2012, 16:18
We're a relatively new company and we've primarily been selling to local enthusiasts and local gun shops. We're fully licensed to sell both within California as well as across the US. We're getting ready to launch our website and FB page all other the other social media hoopla-la. I've attached some images for you to peruse below.

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/Anarchy_Arms/library/

Let me know if youre interested and please share with friends.

Thanks,
Chris

zero7one
5 November 2012, 09:36
We're a relatively new company and we've primarily been selling to local enthusiasts and local gun shops. We're fully licensed to sell both within California as well as across the US. We're getting ready to launch our website and FB page all other the other social media hoopla-la. I've attached some images for you to peruse below.

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/Anarchy_Arms/library/

Let me know if youre interested and please share with friends.

Thanks,
Chris

Looks pretty good...thanks for sharing.

Pork Chop
5 November 2012, 14:11
Love the looks of those receivers! Maybe on my next AR build. :(

Sent using TapaTalk app.

KevinBLC
13 November 2012, 14:38
Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer. What is the difference between normal aluminum lowers and billet lowers? Is there a benefit to billet? It seems like they are a lot more expensive.

Hatter
14 November 2012, 05:29
What you refer to as a "normal aluminum lower" would actually be better referred to as a forged lower. This lower is made using a forging process where as a billet lower is machined from a block or bar stock of aluminum. Google-fu will show you there are people who will pro/con the topic to death but I believe majority is cosmetic with very little structural difference between them. Anyone who knows better... please confirm.

KevinBLC
14 November 2012, 13:53
What you refer to as a "normal aluminum lower" would actually be better referred to as a forged lower. This lower is made using a forging process where as a billet lower is machined from a block or bar stock of aluminum. Google-fu will show you there are people who will pro/con the topic to death but I believe majority is cosmetic with very little structural difference between them. Anyone who knows better... please confirm.

Ok, sounds like you don't know the answer either then :) Anyone more knowledgeable out there to answer my question??

Aragorn
14 November 2012, 14:38
That was the answer actually. For the same thickness, a forged lower is stronger than a billet. Billet lowers are popular because they look different, and any strength they may have over a forged comes from the additional material, at the cost of weight.

The only exception I'm aware of is the VLTOR MUR. It's forged, stress relieved, heat treated, cryo'd, and THEN machined. However, it's an upper.

Strictly talking lowers, you're not gaining much, maybe some built in ambi features depending on what you get. AXTS has a crazy one that lets you lock the bolt open with the mag release.

KevinBLC
15 November 2012, 07:26
I guess my question was... why is a forged lower stronger than a billet? I thought they were both aluminum? What am I missing?

Hatter
15 November 2012, 10:25
Your question revolves around understanding material properties and the effects of processes on those material properties. This involves heat treatments, forging, cold working, casting etc.

Forged aluminum has material and mechanical properties on par with some low to mid grade steels. The "ballpark" answer would be that this is a result of grain structure in the material after the forging process is complete. This is why machining processes can actually temper materials by heating them and allowing them to cool slowly as compared to a quench and temper process with a much faster cooling rate (for example this provides different martensitic grain structures in steels, resulting in different strengths).

A deeper answer could be obtained from a literature search (I recommend Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design) regarding work processes of materials. The key characteristics being material ultimate and yield strength.