PDA

View Full Version : URX III weight & questions

patriot_man
15 November 2011, 22:52
Does anyone have the weight of the KAC URX III rail (rifle length) without the rail panels and barrel nut? All I could find were the weights with steel barrel nuts and rail panels attached.

I heard from a buddy of mine that the sides of the URX III bend and flex with a tight grip. Is that true and has anyone managed to bend theirs permanently or break theirs? Not trying to build a safe queen here, just something that will take the abuse and not having to worry about breaking down and having to replace while staying light weight.

Thanks!

Stickman
16 November 2011, 23:59
I have a hard time believing someone is gripping the URX III rail hard enough to damage it.

patriot_man
17 November 2011, 00:45
That's what I thought as well.

I contacted KevinB on M4carbine he told me that there is minimal flex if the URX is installed right but that still doesn't really comfort me that the URX III rifle length will handle abuse well.

I am currently debating a RIS II which I've run before except with the FSB cut out or the URX III. The weight difference between the two are 4 ounces with the RIS II being respectively heavier. I honestly thought that the URX III would weight far less than 4 ounces seeing as how much material is being taken off. Still trying to find a middle point between weight and durability.

TehLlama
17 November 2011, 06:47
The plastic handguards on an M16 will flex, but they're pretty difficult to break, even for Recruits. I wouldn't be the least bit worried on durability.
On weight calculations, keep in mind the front sight (included on URX-II/III) also has some weight.
For me, I still preferred the ease of rearranging the handguards, so I went with the RIS-II non-FSP, and I'm probably going to standardize on the 12.0 Lite for all my other applications. I like my various URX-II and URX-LW units, but the Lite and Omega-X profile mattered to me more than the exact weights - having an LT hand stop in the right place with a small number of index clips makes a rifle that is in fact 11oz heavier than my wife's feel just as handy.