PDA

View Full Version : I started a middy, need advice

AR-10
21 November 2011, 13:35
What's up guys, I just started a Recce clone and I have a Nordic/Lilja barrel on the way, it's a 16" mid-length gas, 1:8" twist with a Wylde chamber.

I have a few questions:

1) What carbine buffer should I start out with? I'll be feeding it 77gr Black Hills.

2) Is it possible to have a low-profile gas block pinned like an FSB? If so, who can do this?

3) Will a 10" DD Lite Rail be long enough to cover the gas block? I'm looking at the Vltor GB-2SS but I'm not sure how long it is.

Thanks!

Rodman24
21 November 2011, 15:16
1) It looks like Noveske uses an H in their 16" mid-lengths. I don't have a mid-length so I can't speak based on experience.
2) Rainier sells a LPGB pinning jig (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1398). So you can do it, if you so choose.
3) Looks like a 10" should cover a 1" gas block. Link (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-VLTOR-VIS-p/bcm-urg-16md%20bfh%20vis10.htm)

Eric
21 November 2011, 15:42
What carbine buffer should I start out with?
Mid-length systems differ from one manufacturer to another, but they just about always require less weight than a carbine system. I've been using an H and found it to be reliable, but some folks prefer to run a standard carbine buffer.

Striker071
21 November 2011, 16:17
It will stick out just a hair in front of most 10 inch rails.

If you get the Pinning Jig I would give Rainier a call for advice.

I have the dimple jig for the screws but have avoided the Pinning Jig because I can't seem to get good info for where I can get the hones and the proper pins. Totally my problem.. I understand... but it doesn't make any sense to get the jig and not have the proper attachments for the drill to make it worth while.

TripleBravo
21 November 2011, 16:27
...I have the dimple jig for the screws but have avoided the Pinning Jig because I can't seem to get good info for where I can get the hones and the proper pins. Totally my problem.. I understand... but it doesn't make any sense to get the jig and not have the proper attachments for the drill to make it worth while.

I actually get mine from Grainger. The instruction download on the product page at the Rainier Arms website lets you know exactly what you need. Grainger has all the bits and straight or taper pins you need, but I'm sure there are some other sources.

Striker071
21 November 2011, 16:47
Thanks for the info. Grainger it is. I have one about 20 mins from me

AR-10
21 November 2011, 17:41
What!

I might just send all of my parts to Rainier, I just looked at the gunsmithing page.

AR-10
21 November 2011, 18:08
I am hijacking my own thread:

I just got a '79 Wingmaster and look at what I found when I stripped it:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7223/img1553au.jpg

The right side shell latch is no longer attached to the receiver, this doesn't fall out when I take apart my other 870's...?

Editing to update:

Apparently the channel in the side of the receiver is staked but this piece worked it's way loose.

I found an inexpensive staking tool and I am ordering one, looks like a must have item.

John Hwang
22 November 2011, 09:28
Answers below

What's up guys, I just started a Recce clone and I have a Nordic/Lilja barrel on the way, it's a 16" mid-length gas, 1:8" twist with a Wylde chamber.

I have a few questions:

1) What carbine buffer should I start out with? I'll be feeding it 77gr Black Hills.
Either Carbine of H buffer will work fine. Some midsystems will not produce enough gas for the H buffer but that's pretty rare. The H-buffers were originally designed for carbine gas systems but now everybody thinks it's a must have even on a mid gas system which is not the case. Every upper/rifle will be different and it's a case by case basis but as a rule of thumb, we recommend a H buffer with a Carbine gas system and either a carbine or H buffer with the mid.

2) Is it possible to have a low-profile gas block pinned like an FSB? If so, who can do this?
We can do it but it's very easy to do if you have a drill press and a jig.

3) Will a 10" DD Lite Rail be long enough to cover the gas block? I'm looking at the Vltor GB-2SS but I'm not sure how long it is.
The front of the gas block will stick out slightly on the 10" Rail system.

Thanks!

AR-10
22 November 2011, 15:17
I think I would rather send it to you, this is not something I am confident in doing and I doubt I would use that jig more than once.

I want this upper to be assembled and test fired by someone who knows what they are doing, the lower I can handle myself. [BD]

AR-10
23 November 2011, 13:49
I'm still waiting on the barrel but my upper showed up today:

http://i43.tinypic.com/vfv8et.jpg

It had to tap the takedown pin into the receiver, not sure why it's such a tight fit.

It doesn't seem to be the lower, because I test fit the upper on a different lower and it was just as hard to push the pin in.

I'm hoping it loosens up over time, cause I've never felt one this tight before - I needed a punch to push the takedown pin back out.