PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide: Mk12 Mod1 or Scar 17

rmhtexas
2 December 2011, 22:46
Long time listener, first time caller.

Not sure if I posted this in the correct section, excuse my error if I did.

I can't decide on my next rifle. I'm stuck between a HCS Mk12 Mod1 upper on a KAC lower, or a Scar 17. I know they are kind of two different platforms but have some overlap in intended use. Both would sport Nightforce optics, 1-4 on the Scar and 2.5-10 on the Mk12. I already have AR platform a Colt 6920.

Intended use would be mainly for fun, very occasional boar and coyote hunting, maybe use for classes (precision shooting for mk12 and tactical carbine for Scar 17, but already have other options for each) and SHTF (Gerneral catagory of uses that I can justify spending the money on a firearm. I don't think zombies will rise from the dead, aliens will invade, the world is ending in 2012, or the Canadians will invade).

Here are the pros and cons as far as I can figure them

MK 12 Mod1
Pros:
-Commonality of parts, mags, and ammo
-HCS upper is mil spec, and built by the guy who helped design and built them for Crane (I know mil spec does not always mean better and there are maybe other options that are available but i am kind of like collecting mil spec or close to mil spec stuff).
-MOA or better accuracy

Cons:
-Dedicated long range platform
-Lack of penetration on thick skinned targets (boars)

Scar 17
Pros:
-More versatile in range of use
-it the new, latest and greatest battle rifle

Cons:
-proprietary parts and mags
-need to stock pile ammo
-over penetration (not planning on using it from HD but still have some 110 TAP on hand for grins)
-Wondering POI problem and supposedly hard on optics (not sure if these are real problems or internet hype).

Both are about the same price and ammo for both seems to be the same as well. I know the obvious answer is to get both, but the cash is there for only one.

So am I missing anything between the two? Which would you get if you were me? Anyone have any experience with either?

Thanks for the replies,
RMH

Paulo_Santos
3 December 2011, 06:04
Looking at your requirements, you can use your Colt for SHTF and tactical classes. For boar hunting, you can use both 5.56 (barnes 55, 62, or 70 GR TSX) or .308. For coyote hunting, the 5.56 would be better. The .308 is overkill. Personally, I lean towards the MK12.

TehLlama
4 December 2011, 21:02
If boar is a priority, I'd make the decision on whether or not the 70gr TSX load will suit your needs. If not, I'd look into 6.8SPC before writing off the AR15 magwell, but with the right placement the a 5.56 Barnes load is really impressive.

I was faced with the same dilemma, and found a deal on a Centurion Mk12 upper, and I haven't been the least bit disappointed. The NF 2.5-10x is THE optic to use (using the Leupold 3-9x right now, but after seeing how much more I like the NXS's MilDot and MRAD paired setup, and how handy the ZS is, I'm sold on that.

The HCS, Centurion (twins), as well as Noveske and BCM offerings are all tack drivers, and the HCS bundle with some of the handguards listed are the best deals running.

lamarbrog
5 December 2011, 16:21
I'd probably go for the Mk12 if it were me.

If you want .308, I'd look into the LMT MWS (British L129A1).

rmhtexas
14 December 2011, 16:40
So I desided to go with the Mk 12. Ordered the Mod 1 upper from Kevin at High Caliber Sales yesterday, very nice guy. Cant wait to get it. Im thinking of running a red dot of some kind in addition to the nightforce optic to address my concern over its lack of versatility at close range, maybe a dr. optic mounted on the rail and hanging off to the side or above the scope on the foward scope ring.

ColdDeadHands
25 December 2011, 08:24
Check out the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25 - 4, The illuminated dot is super bright, 1.25 works great for close range and for further out you can dial it to 4x. It also has zero stop turrets. I've had the chance to fondle one recently and will put one on my next AR.

d90king
29 December 2011, 04:35
So I desided to go with the Mk 12. Ordered the Mod 1 upper from Kevin at High Caliber Sales yesterday, very nice guy. Cant wait to get it. Im thinking of running a red dot of some kind in addition to the nightforce optic to address my concern over its lack of versatility at close range, maybe a dr. optic mounted on the rail and hanging off to the side or above the scope on the foward scope ring.

Did it arrive yet? Look forward to seeing the finished product.

rmhtexas
14 January 2012, 13:54
It did arrive, the upper looks great. I'm going to get a Knights lower and a Nightforce 2.5-10 optic for it. I might piggyback a small red dot on it too. But that will had to wait until after I get my tax return. I ended up finding a FN SCAR in fde that I couldn't pass up. So I guess I ended up going with the ultimate solution to my dilemma, I got both. Now I just need optics for both. This hobby is addictive. I'll try and get some photos up of them once the are finished.

RMH

TehLlama
14 January 2012, 23:27
I'd even consider 45* sights, the Surefire Dueck's or the KAC Folding Offsets. I bet I know which one you'll shoot more, but the one you enjoy more is still tough to call.