PDA

View Full Version : Who has swiched bewteen Handstops/Vertical Grips/Foregrips

neo9710
20 December 2011, 20:29
Just my curiosity....What do you prefer? Handstops? Verical Grip? Foregrip? Nothing??

Who had one, thought another would work out better, and then switched back? More important..WHY?

BobinLaConner
20 December 2011, 21:29
I have one with each so maybe I can give my input for you...

My first gun came with the vertical foregrip (Daniel Defense) and I liked it, but being into tweaking things I thought I would try the Angled Foregrip from Magpul anyway. It's only money right? I tried both and went back to the vertical foregrip for the time being. I shot with it for a while and then finally decided to order the vertical foregrip from Larue Tactical that has adjustable plugs to change the length. The Larue grip is perfect and is still on my first gun set up for varmint shooting with a scope and a bipod...works great for what I like.

Fast forward and I'm on the 2nd gun (another DDM4) and I set this one up for a lightweight CQB rig. It also came with the Daniel Defense vertical foregrip too and worked fine, but I remembered I had the Magpul Angled Foregrip in my gun box and decided to give that another try. On this gun it just seems like a perfect fit. Mostly because I have it set up with the Surefire light on top of the rail (in front of the front sight post) and the angled foregrip puts my left thumb in perfect position to access the light switch.

So...I guess they both work but just depend on what feels right. I think the best advice I can offer is to start using whatever you have and then see what you like or don't and if there is any feeling of "something not being right". I do like the Larue foregrip since it has an adjustable length and also has the quick release for attachment to the rail which is nice for quick adjustments. If you want to get another foregrip, I say just buy it, they are not too much. You might switch them out every so often anyway just to keep things fun. Whatever you pick, they all work reasonably well so you can't really make a bad choice with any of the reputable brands, it's just personal preference. Good luck and have fun with it.

Stickman
20 December 2011, 22:03
I've used just about everything, including the above mentioned ones, and I'm currently using a Gear Sector hand Stop, it just works out well for the way I use it.

Paulo_Santos
21 December 2011, 07:55
I've tried just about everything also and I keep coming back to the Grip-Pod for my personal AR. For work, I can use anything. I've learned to adapt to anything.

c0nspire
21 December 2011, 08:16
I've used them all. I think it has a lit to do with rail length, rifle weight and what's most comfortable and controllable for you. I have had both 9" and 7" railed AR's, and am working on a 12" railed upper now.

The vertical grip (I too use the Larue FUG because of the QR capability) is what I use on the 7" rail (although I must say I was very impressed with the simple, cheap Magpul vertical grip - light and comfortable). The AFG just seems to cramp my hand/wrist into an awkward position on the shorter 7" rail. Then again, I'm 6' 1" and I know some shorter shooters do not have such an issue with the AFG (my wife much prefers the AFG at 5' 4"). Do note: the AFG was never intended/designed to be used on such a short rail.

The AFG on the 9" rail seemed like it would be comfortable. I really had the wrong rail for that setup (round tube and heavy), so I didn't stick with it for long.

My goal for the 12" rail upper is to run hand-stops only. I have several of the Larue handstops and I am a big fan, I simply cannot find any way to mount them on my 7" rail that is comfortable for me personally.

In my opinion: the vertical grip is going to give you the most positive grip-purchase. If you want to put backwards pressure into your shoulder for controllability, nothing will top the vertical grip. I still think this is probably the best option for most shooters.

The AVG is really only useful if you use the "beer can grip" - thumb along the top rail (or at least high above the bore axis). I do find this to be the best grip on the rifle for me personally, however it just doesn't work for me on the 7" rail - too cramped. This is a large part of my stepping up to a 12" rail. The AFG also does not provide the same grip-purchase. If you want to put additional positive pressure into your shoulder, go for the vertical grip.

I think once I have the 12" rail, I may not find the AVG to have much advantage over a simple hand-stop. I'll be trying them both in a number of combinations.

My ultimate preference is for hand-stops only. I never really cared for the look of the vertical grip or the AVG hanging off the rifle, and I shoot from a bag most often so there'd be less to get in the way, plus the rifle becomes lighter.

nobodyspecial
21 December 2011, 09:28
I have tried many different handstops and VFG combinations. What I have founf that I like best is a modified KAC vfg cut down into a stubby configuration. It is very light, very strong and can be used as a hand stop, which is what I usually do, with my hand gripping the rail in front of it.

neo9710
21 December 2011, 17:40
I actually have the Larue Grip on my AR right now. A co-worker let me give his AR a try and his has handstops which I liked. Recently, I started using my grip more as a handstop than a grip..Ive seen a couple of guys keep on flipping between setups and thought I'd ask people here.

Ryo
22 December 2011, 07:56
I've used. All 3 and currently using mostly handstops from KAC. I do still plan to use my old AFG since it does serve a purpose.

Quiet-Matt
22 December 2011, 12:58
I keep coming back to the TD stubby vert grip on the SBR due to the cramped conditions, but I find that nothing is better on the longer rails. Keeping the gun un-cluttered and having the ability to move around on the gun as needed is the way to go for me. Hand stops worked ok for me, but I absolutely loathed the AFG.

lmtrocks
23 December 2011, 23:27
I used an Ergo handstop on a gun and it's about perfect for what it does. I have found that a reduced (read optimized) Magpul RVG works well on rifles though.
http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn346/gunguyshots/PC080013-1.jpg

skullworks
24 December 2011, 13:40
I bought the MOE-kit from Brownells a while back (the one that includes handguard, two rails and the VFG) and after playing around with it for a bit I realized that though I did like the VFG I had no use for it as I've adopted the support hand forward position that pretty much everyone is using these days, and also since I don't carry any lights, lasers etc up front. Anywho...

What I did switch to was something you might find amusing; the MSA (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG504). I mounted it as far to the rear as I could in the mounting slots on the MOE handguard, and now (without a sling attached) it works as an indexing point for my support hand - fits right into the palm of my hand where it starts to come off the handguard (see pic below).

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/3785/oberland052.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/oberland052.jpg/)
(As soon as the STR-stocks start shipping that A2 is gooooone!)

TripleBravo
26 December 2011, 23:10
When I was first issued my duty Colt 6920, I used a full size TangoDown vertical grip. I quickly learned that griping this completely with my support hand did not work well for me, so I switched to a stubby TangoDown vertical grip and modified into a kind of hybrid grip with two fingers forward of the vertical grip and two fingers on the vertical grip. As hand stops became available, I tried these, but still found the stubby grip to work best for me.

The 6920 is a carbine system, and since it is a duty weapon, I'm forced to live with it and have very little latitude when it comes to modifications. So I continue to shoot with this set up because it works best for me on a 7 inch carbine rail.

My ideal set up though utilizes a rail at least 12 inches long, and allows me to get my support hand out further.

For years I resisted trying an AFG simply because I though they were so damn ugly sitting on the gun. Ultimately this was a big mistake born from nothing less than stupid vanity. I finally realized that if I was going to continue to dislike the AFG, I had better actually try it first.

When I did, I realized that it really worked well for me and my preferred shooting style...when mounted to a sufficiently long enough rail.

This is actually my favorite set up to shoot now:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Rainier%20Arms%20Evolution%20Rail/rifle-grip-blk-01.jpg

Eric
27 December 2011, 11:48
I've ditched my VFG and run my carbines slick, for the most part. The full sized grips, for me, tend to be something that simply gets in the way and adds weight. I have been using a Gear Sector hand stop that works well to give me a low profile index point and ledge to press the stock into my shoulder.

neo9710
27 December 2011, 14:22
When I was first issued my duty Colt 6920, I used a full size TangoDown vertical grip. I quickly learned that griping this completely with my support hand did not work well for me, so I switched to a stubby TangoDown vertical grip and modified into a kind of hybrid grip with two fingers forward of the vertical grip and two fingers on the vertical grip. As hand stops became available, I tried these, but still found the stubby grip to work best for me.

The 6920 is a carbine system, and since it is a duty weapon, I'm forced to live with it and have very little latitude when it comes to modifications. So I continue to shoot with this set up because it works best for me on a 7 inch carbine rail.

My ideal set up though utilizes a rail at least 12 inches long, and allows me to get my support hand out further.

For years I resisted trying an AFG simply because I though they were so damn ugly sitting on the gun. Ultimately this was a big mistake born from nothing less than stupid vanity. I finally realized that if I was going to continue to dislike the AFG, I had better actually try it first.

When I did, I realized that it really worked well for me and my preferred shooting style...when mounted to a sufficiently long enough rail.

This is actually my favorite set up to shoot now:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Rainier%20Arms%20Evolution%20Rail/rifle-grip-blk-01.jpg

Off my original topic - that rail looks great..

sadmin
28 December 2011, 06:53
I started with Bobro vert grips, tried the AVG which wasnt for me, and have settled happily on Gearsector hand stops.

TehLlama
28 December 2011, 22:31
I've done the full migration from VFGs, to stubby VFGs, to AFG, to hand stops, and now it's mostly bare VTAC Extreme rails, or DD Lite/OmegaX rails with LT handstops.
I've relegated AFGs to use with M4's where I want that bit of forward extension.

All the controllability and recoil management I need is coming from the thumb wrapping around the top, and running exclusively 12:00 light mounting solutions simplifies that a lot.

JohnnyRambo
30 December 2011, 07:54
Depending on what is most comfortable to you:

I like the Grip Pod system. You can find them from $40-$85 for the military version if you look in the forums. It is excellent as a vertical grip. Plenty long, maybe a little too long. But the bipod feature is what makes it better than others. Anytime I need to zero a rifle I go prone, deploy the bipod, and sight in quickly. It is a solid grip as well as bipod. And can be easily taken off when not needed and stored in a mag pouch or range bag. The sides are flat to accommodate tape switches.
Pros- versitile , easy to install and remove
Cons- heavy, long

The Magpul AFG and AFG2 are excellent also. Feels very natural when you hold it. Perfect for those who like the 3gun/over the top style forearm hold style. Light weight, well made, and comfortable. Blue thread lock is already on the screws from the factory so you can install it and be good to go without having to add loctite.
Pros- price, ergonomics
Cons- none

Gear Sector handstop is my favorite of the handstops. It is machined and coated to perfection. It contours the same as most rail covers so it fits flush and is very comfortable.

Gear Sector Vertical Grip is small and perfect. Light and strong. Will last forever. Some guys don't need to wrap their whole hand around a vert grip, and this is perfect for them.

LaRue Tactical handstop is nice also, great shape, but requires that you lock it in with rail covers on either side to install it.

Overall the Grip Pod is my personal favorite at this time. Since it has dual function, and flat sides for tape switches it does it all.

Try them all, and see what is best for you. Whatever does not work you can sell on the EE.

HeavyDuty
30 December 2011, 08:30
This is a timely topic for me. I followed the typical VFG > handstop > bare progression but am actually thinking about going back to a VFG on one carbine.

I've gotten very used to the extra hand space afforded by a midlength and prefer them with nothing at all. However, this has also gotten to the point that I feel cramped up on a carbine length handguard, even with a small handstop all the way forward as an index. There just isn't enough room for me.

I have a LaRue VFG lying around that I may pop on the carbine to see if that helps. I wouldn't be using it as an index but as a grip - it's worth a try and cheaper than reconfiguring the carbine!

I did try an AFG when they first came out, but they're not for me.

m24shooter
10 June 2012, 08:38
I've run several full sized VFGs, stubbys, the AFG, and hand stops. For rifles I prefer the standard VFG, they just feel better to how I shoot them. For carbines, I've switched over the Gear Sector handstops. I've got two of them on my middy, and it feels extremely natural for how I shoot that platform. Had a newb shoot with it yesterday, and she just naturally adopted it. IME, they provide a good index point that positions my support hand right where it needs to go for light manipulation and control.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/526907_367461506642147_758688890_n.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/575298_367462353308729_457281480_n.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/547362_367461289975502_348217317_n.jpg

FortTom
10 June 2012, 09:43
I've used just about everything, including the above mentioned ones, and I'm currently using a Gear Sector hand Stop, it just works out well for the way I use it.

Exactly the same thing here, and now also using the Gear Sector hand stop. I wouldn't say that one type is better than another, I guess it's just a matter of personal choice. I find other fore grips, etc..get in my way. I might be in the minority, but they just seem to work better for me.

FT.

sgtjosh
15 June 2012, 23:57
I started with a Magpul foregrip. I only ever used it as a hand stop anyway...so I went with a LaRue Handstop and index clips. I dig it. Everything I need without the bulk.

Hmac
16 June 2012, 04:46
On my 16 inch Noveske and 11.5 inch SBR, I started with AFG's. Couldn't really find anything that worked better for me on the SBR despite trying the Magpul VFG and a Gear Sector hand stop, so the AFG is back on and works great with the decreased rail space. I liked the VFG better than the AFG on the 16 inch, tried the Gear Sector on it, now I have a Gear Sector stubby I'm going to try.

http://SSEquine.net/sbr6s.jpg

usmcvet
12 July 2012, 17:45
I like the tango down stubby w/o QD on a rail and all my guns now have MOE hand guards and MOE VFG. I tried the AFG on a 7" rail I thought it sucked, it was gone very quickly.

rob_s
13 July 2012, 02:22
I've come full circle. Well,mostly. Started with a full size VFG, went to a stubby VFG, then various hand stops, and now I'm back to the stubby. Only time I use a hand stop now is on Brazilian hand guards and then I mount them forward and hook it with my booger-picker.

I found that using a small stop against the heel of the hand or the pinkie finger out my hand, and therefore my arm, at a bad angle.

rob_s
13 July 2012, 02:24
I like the tango down stubby w/o QD on a rail and all my guns now have MOE hand guards and MOE VFG. I tried the AFG on a 7" rail I thought it sucked, it was gone very quickly.

As useless as I find the AFG to be, it is even more so on a 7.0 handguard. It's debatable on a 9.0 as well. I got a lot of people at our drills nights that were bolting things on their rifles without any sense of what they were doing that wound up trying to hold the AFG like a VFG.

Hatter
13 July 2012, 07:17
As useless as I find the AFG to be, it is even more so on a 7.0 handguard. It's debatable on a 9.0 as well. I got a lot of people at our drills nights that were bolting things on their rifles without any sense of what they were doing that wound up trying to hold the AFG like a VFG.

I'm between the AFG and the stubby. More trigger time will tell which one wins. I use the AFG as simply a support to move my ring an pinky finger away from the handguard. I use the stubby in the same way that my thumb is over the top and it move my smaller two fingers down.

It drives me nuts when people hold the vertical grip like a pistol grip or just hold on to the AFG as though it were the grip for hand placement in lieu of the hand guard.

My .02

Paulo_Santos
13 July 2012, 08:30
I've come full circle. Well,mostly. Started with a full size VFG, went to a stubby VFG, then various hand stops, and now I'm back to the stubby. Only time I use a hand stop now is on Brazilian hand guards and then I mount them forward and hook it with my booger-picker.

I found that using a small stop against the heel of the hand or the pinkie finger out my hand, and therefore my arm, at a bad angle.

Brazilian Handguards? Where have I been? I never heard of these. When I hear the word Brazilian, I just think of thongs, hot women, and rodizio. LOL.

markm
13 July 2012, 09:44
Brazilian Handguards? Where have I been? I never heard of these.

Maybe they're those fr00ty tubes with top rail sections that all the "operators" are running these days. ;)

Paulo_Santos
13 July 2012, 09:52
Maybe they're those fr00ty tubes with top rail sections that all the "operators" are running these days. ;)

I remember when all you had to do was throw the word "Euro" in front of a product and it would sell like crazy. I guess the new thing is Brazilian. LOL.

rob_s
14 July 2012, 08:26
Brazilian Handguards? Where have I been? I never heard of these. When I hear the word Brazilian, I just think of thongs, hot women, and rodizio. LOL.

Brazilian meaning "slick". ;)

CMK12
8 August 2012, 17:15
Nearly full circle here as well. I have no form of grip assist on my rifles now. Just wrap my paws around the rail and go. For my uses, prone off a pack or berm or simply trying to control the muzzle, every form of grip assist I tried got in the way. The hand stop was the least intrusive.

Malice
9 August 2012, 07:58
I have the AFG on my rifle and have been very happy with it. I had a broomstick on my service rifle and truthfully ergonomics are better with the AFG. I like the idea of the grip-pod but think its WAY too long for my needs.