PDA

View Full Version : How do you REALLY know your gear works? Heres a hint USE IT!

neo9710
1 January 2012, 17:13
I didn't mean it to sound the way it came out but - I mean it. Im a Sergeant and I always tell my guys to go out and practice on their own because you just never know what situation your going to be in, what your weapon is going to do, or even what you are going to do. This isn't just for LEO's - this is for everyone. My department, like most others, makes us (patrol officers) re qualify at the range bi-annually. I am of the mindset that its not enough. I hear it all the time, "maybe next weekend when I get a sec." Well, I attended a 3 gun event this weekend which strongly reaffirmed to even myself why this is so important.

I live in the DC Metropolitan area. There's not a lot of places to actually "practice." Last year, I started attending some of the 3 gun competitions in the area and beside the fact that they are fun - it shows me what I need to work on, what my gear is capable, and the most important thing - what I am capable of. You will be surprised on what pressure will do to the way you react. Even if it is just a stopwatch.

Yesterday, there was a competition in Virginia at the Cavalier in Montpelier VA. There was about 50 shooters there - anyone from the regular enthusiast to active/former military, LEO, competitors, etc. Well, I was amazed on how many weapons plain just broke down - and we were just in the first stage! At the stage we were at, we had to transition between pistol and rifle. In the middle of the stage, the shooting stops, the shooters looking and fumbling his rifle with the WTF look on his face. After about 10 seconds..we all start to yell "use your pistol! Use your pistol!" The shooter grounds the rifle and hes off with the rest of the stage. What had happened is that the casing exploded in the rifle and the pressure shot through the bottom of the magazine - jamming the rifle and sending the remaining rounds all over the floor. I didn't have the chance to see the rifle but I heard the guys say that his rifle didn't look damaged - luckily!

This wasn't the only failure - extractor issues, cycling issues to mounts that miraculously got loose...and this was just the first stage! But weapon failure wasn't the only thing I saw - gear failure and gear placement failure..from magazine pouches that weren't readily accessible and people were fumbling around trying to draw a new mag to slings that just came apart to people just completely loaded with gear that it actually looked painful to move!

So basically what I am trying to say is that you never know. Crap happens - and breaks! Take that weapon out and use it! See what works for you and just don't take what you see someone else do as gospel. And also remember - you get what you pay for. Take a course or two..or three. Ive changed my setup several times since my initial setup.

One thing I learned this go around - always bring a hat and sun tan lotion! No matter what time of year!

Eric
1 January 2012, 17:40
Great reminder. Far too often we see folks show up assuming that since they bought a cool new gizmo, advertised by a particular manufacturer and shown off by a high speed instructor, that it will work for them. Maybe, maybe not. Also, just because your kit was running fine when you last shot it, does not necessarily mean its good to go now. Mounts can vibrate loose and batteries can go dead.

neo9710
1 January 2012, 18:19
Great reminder. Far too often we see folks show up assuming that since they bought a cool new gizmo, advertised by a particular manufacturer and shown off by a high speed instructor, that it will work for them. Maybe, maybe not. Also, just because your kit was running fine when you last shot it, does not necessarily mean its good to go now. Mounts can vibrate loose and batteries can go dead. Its all fun and games when..lets say..a vertical grip comes off in your hand or your light hits the deck with a solid thump when you go activate it! I actually also race CCS Amateur (Motorcycles - Middleweight/Heavyweight) and the same thing..You will be amazed how many screws just happen to work themselves loose.

TehLlama
3 January 2012, 20:30
Loctite isn't the only magic trick for experienced users - we see that constantly on Table 1 shoots for qualifications.
Basic function checks, having lube in the correct places, and actually checking magazines for feeding are the overlooked things that instantly become apparent when testing stuff.

The muscle memory really is use it or lose it... even I'm behind the power curve on that.