PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MS3 versus MS2 Sling Review

Ryo
6 January 2012, 01:39
Magpul has finally released their MS3 - Multi Mission Sling System after what feels like forever.

First off I have to say I like using the single point sling system back in the day when Blue Force Gear came out with there HK hook style single point sling.
Naturally when the Magpul MS2 sling came out with all it's hype, I was extremely interested in it. It had it's shortcomings, but overall it was a better fit for what I wanted in a sling system.

The Items I saw the I didn't like about the Magpul MS2 sling was the following:
1. Strap Width - Long term usage of the sling it can start becoming uncomfortable to wear.
2. Sling Material - At first touch, the sling material seemed be smooth and soft, but with the common use of velcro in pouches, patches, etc, it was a velcro magnet. Over time of usage, it had thin strands of thread sticking out from the edges.
3. Snap Shackle (J hook) - The snap shackle with the paracord could easily get caught an open, causing your rifle to fall. I've personally had this happen to me with a AR with live rounds. Fortunately for me, the firearm fell in a safe direction, and safety selector was on SAFE. Apparently when I was switching to my camera, my fingers caught the paracord and opened the latch. Removal of the paracord stopped this from ever happening again.
4. Sling Length Adjustment - It was sometimes a struggle to adjust the length of the sling with the loop. I believe the reason was the thickness of the sling vs the metal edges of the bracket on on the loop.
5. Unlocking the Shackle - It was slightly difficult unlocking the large shackle. Not a bit deal, but it was annoying when I wanted to change from a single point to a two point sling.
6. Felt a bit clucking

As I write this, I wonder why I like the old MS2 sling.. I suppose it was the first sling that I had that could switch between a single point sling to a 2 point sling. Magpul seems to have addressed some of the issues that people have commonly voiced against the Magpul MS2 sling. The short comings I've seen in the MS2 sling seemed to be have addressed in the new MS3 sling.

Magpul MS3 versus MS2 sling Review

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9596mod.jpg

As we know one of the main advantages of the MS2/MS3 sling is it's ability to switch between the single point and two point sling system. I'm not going to go over the advantages disadvantages of the two point versus single point sling systems. I'm just going to talk about the improvements that Magpul made over the original MS2 sling.

1. Strap Width:
Apparently Magpul was listening to the complaints of the width of the sling. They changed the sling's width to be a 1/4" wider. I can't say that's a huge improvement, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Here are the specs taken on a Mitutoyo micrometer: (Note I threw in measurement of my Blue Force Gear single point sling to give another reference)

MS2 Sling Dimensions: 1" x 0.085"
MS3 Sling Dimensions: 1.255" x 0.087"
BFG Sling Dimensions: 1.4" x 0.097"

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9618mod.jpg

2. Sling Material
I am not a expert at materials for sling, I can only give my opinion of it. The MS3 sling is a much better material than the MS2 sling. MS3 sling is slightly more rigid than the MS2 sling, but not as rigid as my BFG sling. Both the MS3 and BFG slings are velcro resistance which is a huge plus over the MS2 sling. The edges don't fray, and get caught on velcro and/or rough dry hands.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9617mod.jpg
(Example of the velcro patches attaching to the Magpul MS2 Sling)

3. Latches/Connectors
The MS3 sling's latches are made of polymer and a metal alloy. The MS3 sling uses the same latch system for both attachment point unlike the MS2 sling. I don't know if the polymer is a improvement since polymer can break more readily than metal if not designed/mixed properly. However the awesome thing about the new latch is that there is a locking mechanism on both latches. The MS2 sling only has a clunky locking mechanism on the sling attachment point, and the shackle (rifle connection point) was a Murphy's law about to happen. The locking latch system on the MS3 sling is basically a slide lever which prevented the opening of the latch. It had a positive locking/unlocking feeling, and when in the lock position, the latch (when looking at the side position) doesn't even have a gap, unlike the MS2 connector which had a uncomfortable gap depending on the position of the locking mechanism.

The thing that is missing from the MS2 to MS3 sling is the pivot point of the MS2 shackle. It's hard to say if this is good thing or a bad thing. I'd say it's a non issue. Basically the MS2 sling's shackle has a pivot point. It allows the user to straighten out their sling if it gets twisted around.. but it also offers the chance of getting twisted. I say it's a non issue since most slings don't have this pivot point and it hasn't been a issue with them. Also once you lock it on, and it doesn't pivot.. it should be good to go no matter what, unlike the MS2 sling can have the possibility of twisting up while wearing it.

The reduction of size of the MS2 shackle that connects to the sling is a positive thing. It was a huge piece of metal.

There is a increase in size of the shackle that connects to the rifle. I wouldn't consider it a negative thing, but a thing to note. There is however there is a angle change of the shackle since the MS2 and MS3 connector opening is perpendicular (90 degrees) from each other. So if your using a ASAP plate, it doesn't line up straight using the MS3 shackle liike it does with a MS2 shackle. There will be a 45 degree twist in your sling. I don't notice any negative effects of transition between the weapon side and support side of the firearm, but I haven't used the sling that much. I really can't see the change in angle being a issue

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9599mod.jpg
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9603MOD.jpg
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9608mod.jpg

4. Sling Length Adjustment
The MS3 sling adjustment is pretty much similar to the MS2 sling. It does feel like it slides a bit more smoothly probably do to the angle of the edges of the polymer bracket on the loop are less aggressive as the metal one on the MS2 sling. Note I have not used the MS3 sling to see how well it hold up to the pressures of real usage in real life, competition, or in training. My MS2 sling's adjustment has held up in all the training classes, & competitions I have attended.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/Magpul%20MS3%20vs%20MS2%20sling/IMG_9614MOD.jpg

Over all I really like the new sling. It's definitely a positive direction for the MSx series of Magpul slings. My MS2 slings will probably be taking a back seat until I can find anything I don't like about the new Magpul MS3 sling.
Hope this helps.

Stickman
7 January 2012, 11:39
Very nicely done, this should answer questions from a lot of people.

TripleBravo
7 January 2012, 11:43
Yea...good work. I just got an MS3 here and was about to start on a similar post. Yours is much better than what I had in mind.

I for one, found the MS2 unusable. The MS3, at least on initial impressions, seems very good. I have noticed that it seems a little short. I think a well built shooter might find it too tight...especially if it's going to be worn over armor or a plate carrier.

BrimstoneGuns
7 January 2012, 16:01
Haven't used mine hard yet, but I like it so far. Solid work throughout, great hardware and of course, versatility. My only complaint is that the loop adjuster, as mentioned, still does not move easily at all if you want to tighten it up. Loosening works flawlessly, so you can go from two point carry to shooting quickly, but cinching it back down is really stiff.

That's a fairly minor issue to me, and they did say it was designed to be a single point first, with a two point option. If you plan to shoot from a single point sling, and want the option to carry two point, I think it should work great!

JohnnyRambo
22 January 2012, 09:31
The MS2 was a great concept but the hardware had problems. Many people including myself had the clamp give way and drop the rifle. (Mine happened to go muzzle brake to big toe, ouch!)

Magpul realized this and went back to the drawing board for the MS3. They designed and made all parts of the MS3 in house now so they do not have to rely on others hardware anymore. Smart move!

After testing the MS3 it is by far my favorite 1-2pt sling ever. The wider strap helps disperse weight a little better and does not dig into my shoulder as much. The design and function work flawlessly with their ASAP sling plate adapter as well as their MSA and RSA adapters for rails and handguards.

I have no affiliation with Magpul. Just an avid product tester and firearm enthusiast who likes to test everything I can get my hands on. Always in search of the best there is. Magpul did a super job with this one. I anticipate we will see many more ASAP plates installed on lowers this year :)

Pros- Design, Function, Quality
Cons- None

tactical online
24 April 2013, 13:45
airsoft crap links removed by Eric

what's your opinion?

Ryo
25 April 2013, 09:12

what's your opinion?

I would not buy it from wagpual and put it on my rifle for a few reasons.

1. It's probably more for airsoft clones rather than for a real rifle. I wouldn't want to risk it breaking and freefalling my loaded rifle.
2. It's a Chinese copy.. support the company who designed it.
3. Support American companies. Made in the USA.

Eric
25 April 2013, 14:25

what's your opinion?
My opinion is that you're trying to illegally rip off American manufacturer's designs and substitute low quality crap to unsuspecting customers.
The fact is that you're banned.

I was going to delete the post, but figured it might be a good reminder for folks. If you're finding an on-line retailer selling name brand gear at a price-point that is unusually low, there's probably a reason. This one was an easy catch, especially with the IP address traced back to China.

MikeDVB
4 May 2013, 10:11
I just wanted to sign up and thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was looking for a decent first sling for my AR-15 and when searching for reviews came across this post.

I ordered this sling from Amazon and look forward to it arriving!

UWone77
4 May 2013, 13:24

what's your opinion?

OP, great review and spot on. I found back in the day the MS2 sling left me wanting much more, most of which has been solved by improvements with the MS3. I think Magpul has nailed it with the MS3 QD as it negates the need for an ASAP plate, which wasn't my favorite attachment point or end plate.

I don't know why people continue to buy Chicom knockoffs to save a few dollars. Just because it feels and looks the same, does not make it so, as if one could "feel" quality. Support American companies and their intellectual property instead of sketchy overseas operations.

And Eric, you are just much faster on the ban hammer than the rest of us.