PDA

View Full Version : New build, 1st time out.

Sinkhole
12 January 2012, 14:52
So i recently completed my 1st build and took it out to the range yesterday. I put 100 rnds.of AE XM193 through the rifle and noticed a few things. The 2nd rnd failed to feed this was a one time mishap. I did however have 3 failures to lock open on a empty mag. I was using 3 different 20rnd PMAGS. It did this on the 2nd mag and the 4th and 5th. The finger on the bolt catch is engaging the follower properly but I did notice 2 fresh little nicks in the top of the bolt catch. Funny thing is I can not manually reproduce the bolt catch problem. The gun fires and extracts flawlessly, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's slightly short stroking or if the Magpul B.A.D. Lever as anything to do with it.
The other thing I found was I had to crank my windage adjustment way over to the left, 21 clicks, just get it on paper at 50yrds and It's still shooting 2-3 inches to the right. Any thoughts?

Here is what make it up.
S&W M&P Lower Receiver
RGUNS Stainless Steel LPK
DPMS Upper Receiver
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle, Mod 4
DMPS BCG
DPMS Upper Parts Kit
DPMS 16" Carbine 5.56mm 1:9 HBAR Barrel
PSA Mil-Spec Buffer Tube, Spring and Buffer
Magpul MOE Stock
Magpul MOE Hand Guard
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard (aluminium)
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul ASAP
DPMS Ambi-Safety
Magpul B.A.D. Lever
YHM Black Plated Gas Tube
Troy Ind. Folding Rear Sight from my Ruger SR556SC
KNS Gen2 Anti-Rotation Pins

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/Sinkhole3000/AR-15%20Build/IMG_0003.jpg

Paulo_Santos
12 January 2012, 15:06
Remove the BAD lever and test again. Use and mark your mags. Use the lightest buffer you have. If the problems continue, start checking for gas leaks. If you are shooting that far off to one side, it is most likely an alignment issue with the FSB.

Sinkhole
12 January 2012, 15:40
I will try it with out the lever. All my mags are already marked and it did it with 2 out of 3 of them, but I have never had an issue with them in my SR556SC. I bought the barrel with the FSB already pinned in place for DPMS. I'll just used a laser bore sight to see what that shows and that verified what I was seeing at the range.

John Hwang
13 January 2012, 00:19
Sounds a little under gassed. Is it charging smoothly when done manually? Sometimes the guns need to run a bit and all the moving parts to work itself in if they don't fit perfectly from the start.

It sounds like the barrel or FSB is off.

TripleBravo
13 January 2012, 00:23
Reference the FSB...did you instal the barrel in the upper receiver? It's not completely clear from your parts list.

Sinkhole
13 January 2012, 05:08
Reference the FSB...did you instal the barrel in the upper receiver? It's not completely clear from your parts list.

Well sort of, my vise needs to be replaced, so it was installed by a reputable gunsmith. It was not a factory built upper.

Stickman
13 January 2012, 12:06
It sounds like you are looking at an undergassed shooting session with an overtightened barrel.

I would pull the BAD lever and see how it shoots. If that does not solve the issue, drop in a lighter buffer, you don't mention what type you have.

I'm guessing you have already checked the carrier key to make sure its tight, and that your weapon was cleaned and heavily lubed before it was fired.

Sinkhole
13 January 2012, 14:38
It sounds like you are looking at an undergassed shooting session with an overtightened barrel.

I would pull the BAD lever and see how it shoots. If that does not solve the issue, drop in a lighter buffer, you don't mention what type you have.

I'm guessing you have already checked the carrier key to make sure its tight, and that your weapon was cleaned and heavily lubed before it was fired.

The gun shoots fine outside of shooting way to the right. I did check the carrier key, it is tight and stacked properly and the gun was lubed properly. I also suspect the B.A.D. Lever may have something to do with the failure to lock open. This (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-moe-stock-kit.html) is the PSA/MOE stock kit my wife bought me for Christmas, although the buffer that came with the kit is not black. It appears to be a plain Jane mil-spec buffer. It's identical to the one that came out of Ruger SR556SC. I may have to bring it back to the smith that installed the barrel and have them check it out.

Stickman
13 January 2012, 15:16
That says nothing about a milspec buffer, its states it is a PSA buffer. In what was it is identical to the other buffer, in its appearance, its weight, the mechanical weights inside, or in some other manner?

Sinkhole
13 January 2012, 15:33
That says nothing about a milspec buffer, its states it is a PSA buffer. In what was it is identical to the other buffer, in its appearance, its weight, the mechanical weights inside, or in some other manner?
They are identical in outward appearance, The Ruger buffer weighs in at 84.2 g and the other is 83.8 g, both have a mechanical weight inside and both have the same outside dimensions.