PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount AR15

tigerdan
15 January 2012, 08:00
Hi all,

I'm after a one piece scope mount for my 14.5 AR15. Normally, I would use it with 1-4x variable, low power scope, such as Vortex Viper PST, Leupold Mark 4, NF NXS...etc. I've heard great stuff about the larue SPR mount. Without a doubt, they have the reputation for good quality and ability to hold zero. They are also known for leaving scratches on your rifles. So, I'm actually looking for one that can be as good as larue mounts, but won't leave mark on the upper receiver.

I have my eyes on ADM and Bobro. I've heard their QD clamps won't scratch the receiver at all. Is that true? I'm also open to suggestions for other scope mounts, as long they won't scratch my pristine rifle. Thanks.

BG1960
15 January 2012, 08:29
I must be doin' it wrong. I have the LaRue on my LAR-8 and it hasn't scratched it a bit.

tigerdan
15 January 2012, 11:03
Yes you did. Most likely you haven't tighten up your larue mount, so there isn't enough friction applied to the underside of the rail to leave any scratches behind. Larue made some of the first ever reliable mounts that are proven to be practical. But their marring problem is already well established, provided you secure it properly. I just need to know whether the newer ADM and Bobro will also leave scratches like LT does. Thanks.

Rodman24
15 January 2012, 11:30
I have both LT and Bobro mounts (extended versions) and they are both solid. That being said, I do prefer the Bobro. There's a single QD lever that automatically adjusts to the rail, and will not mar the finish. The LT needs may need to be adjusted to firmly attach, and that is when the marring occurs. I don't think that's such a big deal, but... Also, I heard someone say that the adjustment nuts on the LT can loosen over time, but that doesn't seem like anything that a little Locktite can't fix

Also I prefer the ring mount orientation on the Bobro. The bottom half of the ring is an integral part of the base and the top section bolts down to the base. Another difference is that the Bobro base is a little over an inch shorter. I'm not sure that will make any real difference in your set up, but just FYI. The space between the rings is the same.

Like I said, no real issues with LT, but the Bobro has my vote.

I can't help on the ADM.

EDIT: I was turned on to the Bobro by a very respected member of this forum. He told me that I wouldn't regret it, and he was right.

tigerdan
15 January 2012, 11:49
Thanks for your sound advice...! Just to clarify, this is not one of those LT vs ADM or Bobro vs LT thread. I just need some opinions to help choosing the most suited mount for what I need. Some people might choose over the battle proven LT and live with the scratches left behind. But I have my own priorities for a scope mount. As long it holds zero just fine, I'm willing to trade off the track record just for the piece in mind that my rifle will not be scratched whatsoever.

Bobro mount sounds good to me. Just need to see what other people think. Thanks.

Quib
15 January 2012, 12:19
I just need to know whether the newer ADM and Bobro will also leave scratches like LT does. Thanks.

The ADM Mount will not scratch your upper receiver like some report to have happen with LT mounts.

Paulo_Santos
15 January 2012, 14:01
Bobro and ADM will not mark your rails. Bobro mounts are top notch. ADM is also a great mount.

csmith
15 January 2012, 15:02
If you're afraid of scratching your gun you're doing it wrong. This is a tool potentially used to take another person's life, not a Harley.

Aragorn
16 January 2012, 13:42
If you're afraid of scratching your gun you're doing it wrong. This is a tool potentially used to take another person's life, not a Harley.

Nothing wrong at all with choosing equipment that preserves the finish on your firearm, or with caring about how it looks.

I had a bobro that was wearing a nightforce nxs 1-4x24, and while it didn't scratch the sides of the rails, the tops of the rails did eventually start to show wear from constant mounting/dismounting of the unit. Leaving the mount in place will likely have more effect on the preservation of the finish than the selection of the mount, but if I was to buy again, I would buy another bobro.

fmkenner
3 March 2012, 14:38
Yes you did. Most likely you haven't tighten up your larue mount, so there isn't enough friction applied to the underside of the rail to leave any scratches behind. Larue made some of the first ever reliable mounts that are proven to be practical. But their marring problem is already well established, provided you secure it properly. I just need to know whether the newer ADM and Bobro will also leave scratches like LT does. Thanks.

Not sure about the Brembo or ADM mounts, heard good things. I can speak for my LaRue mounts, they are adjusted properly and don't scratch my upper. I am an owner of 3 mounts.

TangoSauce
3 March 2012, 15:03
I'd go for LaRue or Bobro. I know some folks that like DNZ, but I can't speak on them.

TangoSauce
3 March 2012, 15:10
Also, I wouldn't worry too much about little scratches in general. Cerakote it if you're worried, generally speaking. I'd just leave the mount on the rifle anyways such that it wouldn't matter. This little marker does not match perfect, but it helps for small scratches and dings, especially on the rail.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-266-birchwood-casey-super-black-touch-up-pen-matte.aspx

jhjfdf
3 March 2012, 15:27
I use a "cheap" Burris PEPR DQ Mount for my 1-4x.
Also I like the Bobro, friend of mine got it on his SIG.
If you dont have to think about the price i personally would pick the Recknagel ERA-TAC Mount http://era-tac.de/en/mounts/one-piece-mounts.html
Great support, they even made a version with the QD lever on the other side on request for a friend because its hard to load the Steyr AUG with the DQ lever on the left side.

TehLlama
13 March 2012, 22:14
I have one LT that has eventually left on spot without finish on the upper, and one that doesn't leave a mark - both lock up correctly. I've given up and gone to all LT mounting hardware because of the relative simplicity of the mount, and I consider it the role of the upper receiver to mount a barrel, handguard, and optic on, nothing more.