PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Mossberg-Zombie Lever Action?

TripleBravo
20 January 2012, 18:36
OK...I may catch crap for this, but I just don't get the whole zombie thing. To me and others of you that read this forum, firearms are tools not toys. Zombies aren't coming. When I hear all the zombie talk, I cringe because I feel it moves into the guns are toys realm and away from the serious real world business they're designed to handle.

With my personal opinion on this in mind, you might understand why I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw this new lever action rifle at the Mossberg booth. A lever action with a railed fore-end and a telescoping AR styled buttstock topped with a zombie marked up Leupold scope....really?

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/SHOT2012-Mossberg/Mossberg-leveraction-Zombie-1500-B3.jpg

(Don't ask me about this rifle, because I had no desire to ask any questions or get any specs.)

ICANHITHIMMAN
20 January 2012, 19:59
I just threw up

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2012, 05:27
LOL. For the longest time, I thought it was just an Internet joke when guys talked about zombies. Boy was I wrong. Some of these guys are DEAD serious. (pun intended). LOL.

The-S
21 January 2012, 06:06
While I agree with you on the ridiculousness of the zombie theme, if you step back and look at it from a buisness plan its genius. There is money to be made in stupid ideas like this. Our youth isn't brought up outside hunting and learning about guns, they are playing video games with unrealistic scenarios and gear. Almost reminds me of all the "tacticool" gear that was and is bought up by the keyboard commandos.

When I look at this gun I see a great chance for a brush gun. Remove the stock for a one of your choice, replace the optic with desired optic of choice and figure out a way to utilize the rails for a practical purpose. It might be a small good choice for some people.

neo9710
21 January 2012, 07:20
Hmm...

At first, I thought that all this talk about zombies was just a way to deflect all the issues that have arisen with gun ownership. I also never paid much attention to it (I have better things to do). But Hornady came out with the "Zombie Max" ammunition and that hit me like a brick. "REALLY?! ZOMBIE AMMO?" Got to give it to the marketing guys though...But I would like to know what their sales figures are for the Zombie stuff. The-S has a point - its designed to hit a specific genre. Is that thing REALLY going to come up for sale as-is or is it something they just put together for the SHOT show to get attention?

TripleBravo - If the Zombie sticker wasn't on the Leupold, what would be your impressions of the rifle?

BUT - Let me first put this out there..I am in TOTAL agreement with you on this. Ill admit, I like a good Zombie movie here and then but thats where it ends...

Aragorn
21 January 2012, 12:59
I tend to use the word "Zombies" as a broad generalization for all things catastrophic. Break down of society, another Katrina, a solar CME, foreign invasion, all things no matter how unlikely that would result in an extended living situation under immanent threat from other people. For me, all these things get rolled up into a ball and labeled as "When the zombies get here." Also can help get on topic about these things with people who would otherwise consider these topics to be a faux pas. Mention the break down of society and people stiffen up, mention zombies and it's an in vogue scenario.

As for the lever action.... just add a PEQ, an M203, a light, and a worn out cowboy hat and you've got the ultimate zombie clown survival implement. :P

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2012, 16:59
Alright, you guys leave me no choice.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/picb.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/pica.jpg

neo9710
21 January 2012, 17:37
Alright, you guys leave me no choice.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/picb.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/pica.jpg

LOL! Thats going on a couple of lockers next weeek...

Aragorn
21 January 2012, 18:05
Do you suppose he's running a SSA (sauce selection accessory) to compliment his tactical chicken nugget dispenser?

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2012, 18:09
Do you suppose he's running a SSA (sauce selection accessory) to compliment his tactical chicken nugget dispenser?

Without a doubt. LOL. I think 3B is going to ban us all for this. LOL.

Hmac
21 January 2012, 20:28
You guys have seen this video...?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?feature=mhee&v=q362H-xg0ZA

Paulo_Santos
21 January 2012, 21:19
That video was good. Funny that he had to post that it was a joke and guys are still commenting. LOL.

Hmac
21 January 2012, 21:48
That video was good. Funny that he had to post that it was a joke and guys are still commenting. LOL.

He made a followup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9QxE3sUaw

I confess... I had to order the tactical bottle opener for my Picante rail system. I know some guys that will get a real hoot out of that.

Paulo_Santos
22 January 2012, 05:26
LOL.

neo9710
22 January 2012, 09:07
He made a followup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES9QxE3sUaw

I confess... I had to order the tactical bottle opener for my Picante rail system. I know some guys that will get a real hoot out of that.

A+

Thread lock coming soon...

Jerry R
22 January 2012, 11:27
They should have put the extra large loop-lever on so you could "twirl" it for that speedy next round into chamber !!

evocatus
22 March 2012, 10:28
Hello Everyone---I'm a total noob to this forum, but not to this subject...

IMHO, the Zombie thing is a (winkie, winkie) reference to a general feeling of impending societal collapse that will send the formerly cared for class (the Zombies) into a rampage...

Since we dare not mention or identify these people by name, we must give them a conveniently euphemistic name...Therefore, Zombies...

Those of us who are preparing ourselves and families for the potential troubles ahead frequent these forums for many reasons; among those to inform and instruct ourselves about the tools we'll need...

Whether this specific "tool" is appropriate or not I'll leave to those who made and purchase it; I have my own thoughts on the matter...

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth...Thanks for listening/reading...

"7.62 Stops Jihad On Contact!"

Creeky73
22 March 2012, 16:38
I gotta agree with 3B on this one...I don't care much for promoting firearms for anything less than serious business. It is one thing for firearms companies to sell more weapons, accessories or ammo as a result of a current popular trend. It is another thing altogether for those companies to promote the trend to fatten up their bottom line. Zombies, bleeding targets...all this stuff does is give anti-gun nuts more "ammo," if you will, to say that we are all freaks who want to shoot something, anything, and make it die. Not saying that you can't have your fun at the range, but it seems irresponsible to me for some companies that I really like to be jumping on this bandwagon. I don't feel that it helps the shooting sports in any possible way.

Aragorn
22 March 2012, 21:34
I gotta agree with 3B on this one...I don't care much for promoting firearms for anything less than serious business. It is one thing for firearms companies to sell more weapons, accessories or ammo as a result of a current popular trend. It is another thing altogether for those companies to promote the trend to fatten up their bottom line. Zombies, bleeding targets...all this stuff does is give anti-gun nuts more "ammo," if you will, to say that we are all freaks who want to shoot something, anything, and make it die. Not saying that you can't have your fun at the range, but it seems irresponsible to me for some companies that I really like to be jumping on this bandwagon. I don't feel that it helps the shooting sports in any possible way.

Oh I don't know about that. Keep in mind that for a great deal of shooters, they're in it for the entertainment value as much as anything. Not everyone takes this as (though I hate to use the term) "seriously" as most of us here. Seems to me no worse than having Safe/Dead/Undead selector markings. Markings that people were asking for. I think it's hokey and ridiculous, but it's not meant to appeal to people like me.

As for companies promoting to make more money... isn't that the whole idea behind having a business? From that perspective, if people are asking and willing to pay, wouldn't it be ridiculous NOT to cater to that group of people? It's like teenagers and clothing, the appeal and sensibility is lost on me, but by God they buy it.

Along these lines, 7.62 Precision is taking it to a whole new level.

http://762precision.wordpress.com/custom-duracoat-firearm-finishes/zombie-killer/

As for anti-gunners... I think that's largely immaterial. Not that I'm discounting them, I just don't think a glow-in-the-dark bio-hazard sticker on your stock is anything they could hope to make a substantiated claim with. If they want to say it's a mentality issue, someone needs to point them in the direction of all those people doing "Zombie Marches".

Creeky73
22 March 2012, 22:28
Oh I don't know about that. Keep in mind that for a great deal of shooters, they're in it for the entertainment value as much as anything. Not everyone takes this as (though I hate to use the term) "seriously" as most of us here. Seems to me no worse than having Safe/Dead/Undead selector markings. Markings that people were asking for. I think it's hokey and ridiculous, but it's not meant to appeal to people like me.

As for companies promoting to make more money... isn't that the whole idea behind having a business? From that perspective, if people are asking and willing to pay, wouldn't it be ridiculous NOT to cater to that group of people? It's like teenagers and clothing, the appeal and sensibility is lost on me, but by God they buy it.

Along these lines, 7.62 Precision is taking it to a whole new level.

http://762precision.wordpress.com/custom-duracoat-firearm-finishes/zombie-killer/

As for anti-gunners... I think that's largely immaterial. Not that I'm discounting them, I just don't think a glow-in-the-dark bio-hazard sticker on your stock is anything they could hope to make a substantiated claim with. If they want to say it's a mentality issue, someone needs to point them in the direction of all those people doing "Zombie Marches".

I fully understand how businesses work and how they make money. My point was that, if you believe that the zombie stuff isn't very good for the shooting sports (which obviously you and I have a differing opinion on this) then it would seem irresponsible for firearms companies to have practices that, while making you money in the short run, may damage the reputation of the industry as a whole in the long run. Do I really think it will have this kind of far-reaching impact? No, but we're just opining here, right? As for anti-gunner's being immaterial, I just don't see it that way. Sometime in the very near future, we could very well start to see some serious ramping up of proposed gun control measures. If that happens, the first thing the politicians will do is try to win in the court of public opinion. And in the court of public opinion, all you have to have is an opinion, and it doesn't have to be an educated, well-informed one. And this is really what I am afraid of. Propaganda and lies will get enough of the public behind it, and next thing you know we have Brady Bill part 2.

I get that this is all stretching..really I do. my overall point is, I would rather see these respectable companies do nothing to blemish the image of the shooting sports, and I would rather us firearm owners not gravitate towards those sort of items. That's all :)

itschris
23 March 2012, 06:34
I totally agree with you B. This whole silly nonesense has really gotten out of hand. You know have what used to be really credible companies like Spikes selling all kinds of different lowers with any number of stupid rollmarks just perptuating the silliness of it all.

I agree, it cheapens things and diminshes the stigma that should exist that a firearm is something serious and not a toy.

Aragorn
23 March 2012, 10:49
Oh don't get me wrong, I largely agree with you. Just saying I can see how and why it came to be.

Also, to quote myself

As for anti-gunners... I think that's largely immaterial. Not that I'm discounting them...

Again, don't get me wrong. The word I used there was "that's" and not "they", and what I was getting at was that by itself, a zombie theme is a pretty weak straw for them to grasp at. Not that the anti-gunners themselves were immaterial. If we're standing on pages, we're on the same one. [:D]

BrimstoneGuns
31 March 2012, 18:10
I totally agree with what you all are saying, it's important to remember that firearms are weapons, not toys. And while I do have customers who are LEO's or military, I think you'll find that the majority of products today are going to ordinary civilians who will most probably never use these in a true life or death situation. And as been mentioned elsewhere, there is a massive crunch in this industry. In my business, and in speaking with my customers, it's not even economy or election related. Firearms are going main stream for the first time ever, and it's because of stuff like this, or shows like 'Top Shot' and 'Sons of Guns'. We aren't seeing a spike in sales, we are just selling to a vastly larger market than we have before! And when Joe Blow buys a zombie rifle, it's something he can show his buddies, or tell his wife about, and it's non threatening. It allows them to purchase a black rifle and actually engage in shooting sports without their friends and co-workers thinking they are secret squirrels or anti government anarchists.

You don't have to buy a zombie gun, and of you're a LEO, it probably shouldn't be your duty gun ;) For exactly the reasons stated! But we should be at least tolerant of this movement. We are seeing gun ownership, the firearms industry, and pro-gun laws exploding like never before, and it's because firearms are going main stream, it's because we suddenly have the financial backing and the market of more citizens than ever before. I would respectfully submit that this zombie and gamer stuff has had the opposite effect of the concerns stated, it actually makes it more difficult for anti gun people to attack us. If someone purchases a black rifle labeled 'Zombie Hunter', that person is viewed as just having fun, rather than being a gun nut, in the publics eye.

Don't get me wrong, guns aren't toys! But when suburban dad suddenly becomes an avid 3-gunner, and will probably never be in a real self defense situation, you have to admit that the line blurs a little.

Rather than bashing this crowd I think that we should be welcoming these new shooters, and help them learn how to safely and responsibly enjoy their new sport. That's my real concern, that people are just jumping in without education. But assuming that works okay, let's be honest, those of us who are 'serious' about our rifles are really able to ride the wave being generated by everyone else.

Thats just my take on it, and what I've seen in my small slice of the industry. Your experience probably varies, and I'm always willing to change my opinion. Thanks for reading!

BrimstoneGuns
31 March 2012, 18:11
Wow, sorry that was so long guys. It's hard to tell how carried away you're getting on an iPhone!

LawDawg007
31 March 2012, 19:53
Great discussion! Other forums I have visited would have resorted to name calling and YELLING.

Eric
31 March 2012, 23:17
I totally understand why many manufacturers are doing this, but it's clearly not the type of product most of us will ever use. If the increased sales put dollars in the manufacturers operating budget, this is a good thing.

chazthebiker
14 April 2012, 21:32
I guess I can see both sides. I do, however, think Brimstoneguns has a very good point. I absolutely used to cringe when reading a post with the word Zombie or seeing a product marketed to those who use the term. However, since reading some prepper forums I have come to understand that for the serious minded prepper a "Zombie" is a figure of speech representing those in society who are not prepared, will not be prepared, and refuse to think about being prepared for possible disaster. They are those who see no danger on the horizon. As long as Old Navy and Kohl's are still having sales and as long as the paychecks keep coming... they are content with whatever else happens in the world. They are the uninformed, the ignorant of history, and traitors to our founding principles. They are the roving hoards who will try to take what isn't theirs once disaster does strike.

That is what I have gathered. While I still cringe a little when I see "Zombie" in a post or on a product, it helps to know what that means from the prepper perspective. I won't buy the ammo, I won't buy the products... but my disdain is largely assuaged.

chazthebiker
7 June 2012, 21:46
WOW!!!!
Maybe we should all stock up! Zombies are real!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/zombie-bullets-in-high-demand-following-flesh-eating-attacks/

Unfortunately... the Zombie craze seems to be going mainstream after the latest news reports of cannibalistic crazies. Somebody in marketing just won that trip to Hawaii.

Can't believe it.

Then there's this disturbing news from Bulgaria. http://www.kgoam810.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=113&itemid=29860369 With the popularity of Twilight and this news, how long will it be before someone starts selling silver bullets?

Wait, that's for Werewolves, right?

Wow.

quizmaster559
31 January 2013, 22:28
It all started at F.O.B.'s in Afghanistan. We were looking for a way to make fun of the horrible realities of war. Instead of preparing the F.O.B for the Taliban we started saying how we were going to prepare for a zombie invasion. We got the idea from other units. According to the stars and stripes there was a Lt. that thought it would be more fun to prep for a zombie invasion than the possibility of human invasion. He started drawing up battle plans as if it were zombies and the whole thing exploded across the military and eventually to forums and the internet.