PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defense 6720 or 6920

cajunfj40
27 January 2012, 08:22
Good morning,

This question is directed to the LEOs that use these on a daily basis. What are your thoughts on the Colt
6720 or 6920? This will be my first AR weapon. I currently use a FAL with an 18" barrel however, due to a shoulder
injury the weight is affecting my ability to run this rifle. I want to hear about the durability of the rifle and your
recomendations. I was thinking of an Aimpoint Micro, VLTOR Mod stock, and tango down grip. The rifle will be a
carried behind the back seat of the truck in a secure mount as well as on a four wheeler when not carried in the
field. Primary use is defense and predator control as well as loaning it to my brother for a patrol rifle when I am
not in state. I do love Colt. I am sure you could do better however I do not think you could do much better in the
price range as well as it being an approved rifle for the department.

Stickman your input would be very helpful with a link to your current rifle.

Paulo_Santos
27 January 2012, 15:02
you really can't go wrong with either one. The 6720 comes with a BUIS, so it is ready for optics, such as the Aimpoint T-1. With the 6920, you'd have to buy a BUIS. Everything else is virtually the same. The 6720 has a pencil barrel, but the 6920 is still slightly lighter.

Stickman
27 January 2012, 17:55
No question about it, I would go with the LW model, the 6720.

Eric
27 January 2012, 23:09
I would also go the 6720 route. It really gives up nothing to the 6920, except a bit of weight. It's a carbine that I wish I could justify buying right now. I have an older 6520 that was reworked to something similar to a 6720, but I'm stuck with the non-standard .170 trigger.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Colt%20AR15/IMG_8258.jpg

TripleBravo
27 January 2012, 23:49
I'm issued the 6920, and policy limits what I can modify or add to the weapon. I'd much rather run something different that better fit my needs. That said, for a first AR, it's not a bad choice.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Duty%20Colt%206920/Duty-6920-1500-B3.jpg

TehLlama
28 January 2012, 00:20
6920 is good, 6720 is best. Honestly, if you need more mechanical accuracy than a 6720 can offer you you need a precision rifle - for anything else the 6720 is arguably the best starting point.

cajunfj40
28 January 2012, 19:32
Thank you for the replies. One last question is do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes? I see the Colt 6720 with the Roger's stock right now.

Eric
28 January 2012, 23:58
do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes?. Yes.

Stickman
29 January 2012, 15:27
Thank you for the replies. One last question is do the lightweight law enforcement carbines on the market have the regular pin sizes? I see the Colt 6720 with the Roger's stock right now.

That stock would be the first thing that would go, I have no idea what Colt was thinking with that. I would much rather have a standard stock.

lamarbrog
6 February 2012, 10:18
I'd probably go for the 6720. BUIS instead of a carry handle, and the light barrel profile are winners.

Not sure what the perceived problem is with the Rogers stock. I haven't used one in live-fire, but I have handled one extensively. It's certainly no SOPMOD, but I consider it to be a definite upgrade over an M4 stock and would be in no hurry to change it. (Maybe there is an issue I am unaware of.)

markm
10 February 2012, 04:00
Colt has definitely lost their minds....

Casull
16 February 2012, 01:18
Pretty much. It's tough to understand. Luckily lots of nice stocks are on the market for such a nice rifle.

TehLlama
17 February 2012, 17:55
I suspect that Clyde or G&R Tac will start carrying the 6720's with MOE furniture and aftermarket FSP rails as a standard item once those are all available in-stock items. I really think starting off users couldn't beat a 6720, Centurion C4 FSP handguard, MOE Pistol Grip and CTR or IMOD stock.

Black Talon Defense
18 February 2012, 10:43
It really depends on you...

If you're extremely concerned about weight well, you can sacrifice barrel integrity for a light weight barrel. Depending on how much shooting you'll be doing this may or may not matter.
I have a 6920, highly modified. But, loved it straight out of the box. Colt knows how to build an AR... no doubt, they're the Gold Standard compared to by everyone out there.
I would urge you to go with the 6920. The Ma Tech rear sight that is used on the 6720... I don't care for, but my weapons are hard use weapons. A layer of protection for my sighting system means a lot.
I have an Aimpoint PRO mounted with Troy Back ups on a Daniel Defense Modular rail, I like the set up. However occasionally I participate in Era rifle matches and have retained the carry handle for those type of situations/competitions.
You really can't go wrong with a Colt unless you get something that is extremely proprietary, then you'll be limited on options down the road.

Dutch
1/*

Vern1968
18 February 2012, 11:32
Colt has definitely lost their minds....

I would think the reasoning behind it is that most of the buyers end up changing out the stocks anyway. MAybe a cost cutting deal?

m4brian
25 February 2012, 15:54

Who needs the weight. I just got one, but have not had a chance to shoot it. I do have a BCM identicle profiled upper, and it is plenty accurate, and balances better than my DDM4 in the same configuration. Light is good in a carbine.

On the Roger's Stock. It's a go. Unless you really like a STD M4 stock, it is completely SANE. It is made very well, and it locks up TIGHT. It IS a CTR which locks better - all good. It is also very light. I think it is a good choice.