PDA

View Full Version : Need New Boots

lamarbrog
3 February 2012, 11:09
My current pair of Vandal boots from Danner is beginning to become worn. The stitching on one has popped, and I'm beginning to get holes in the Vibram soles. They had a good run, lasting six months before falling to my propensity to wear boots out faster than any other living human being.

There are a few options I am considering... but other ideas are definitely encouraged.

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/14720/1600FQ000104L/Rocky-S2V-Ventilated-Military-Duty-Boot/
I like these because they're made in the USA, have Vibram soles, and are priced similar to what most companies import. The only issue I see is they don't appear to have much of a heel, which I am accustomed to and fond of.

http://www.danner.com/boots/desert-tfxr-gtxr-temperate-military-boots.html
These are getting excellent reviews on their website. I like that it appears to have more of a heel. The downside- they're imported, and don't have Vibram soles.

http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/product.php?current_product=16
These are made in the USA. I have not owned Belleville before, but have heard good things. Vibram soles, big plus in my book. Steel toe is the downside for me.

I am seriously considering (probably about 90% likelihood) of attempting to join the Marine Corps in the next month or so. A good pair of boots that I could eventually use in that role (compliant with uniform requirements) is a big plus, although not absolutely necessary.

Experience, thoughts, comments, complaints, criticisms, advice? Thanks.

zero7one
3 February 2012, 11:39
I have previously had a pair of Oakley SI Assault Boots, which were very comfortable, but not waterproof, and the sole wore out fairly quickly.

http://www.oakley.com/products/oakley-s-i-assault-boot-6-inch/11096-001A

I also had previously had a pair of Danner Telson's, which I do not know if they make anymore, but they are similar to the Strikers. They were very comfortable out of the box, were waterproof, and the traction held up well.

I am currently wearing a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops boots. They were extremely comfortable out of the box, are waterproof, and have a very aggressive tread that does not cake in the mud or snow. The tread also holds up well on slick surfaces, like wet interior tile floors. As for the waterproof ability, I stepped out of my patrol car into about 8 inches of water. I had to walk through said 8 inches of water for about 20 feet before I could get to "higher ground". The boots did not let in even the slightest amount of moisture. I have to say so far, these are my favorite pair of boots that I have had for both Military and Police work.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Warrior-Wear-Black-Ops-Boots,1063,20.htm

A little disclaimer about "waterproof". In using the term waterproof, I am really saying it as a matter of water resistance. There really is very little out there that is truly "waterproof", but the term seems to be thrown around freely. So as for the Blackhawk boots....they are very very very water resistant.

Hope that helps out some. Good luck in finding a pair that suits you and best of luck with your Marine Corps career.

neo9710
3 February 2012, 15:54
I have previously had a pair of Oakley SI Assault Boots, which were very comfortable, but not waterproof, and the sole wore out fairly quickly.

http://www.oakley.com/products/oakley-s-i-assault-boot-6-inch/11096-001A

I also had previously had a pair of Danner Telson's, which I do not know if they make anymore, but they are similar to the Strikers. They were very comfortable out of the box, were waterproof, and the traction held up well.

I am currently wearing a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops boots. They were extremely comfortable out of the box, are waterproof, and have a very aggressive tread that does not cake in the mud or snow. The tread also holds up well on slick surfaces, like wet interior tile floors. As for the waterproof ability, I stepped out of my patrol car into about 8 inches of water. I had to walk through said 8 inches of water for about 20 feet before I could get to "higher ground". The boots did not let in even the slightest amount of moisture. I have to say so far, these are my favorite pair of boots that I have had for both Military and Police work.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Warrior-Wear-Black-Ops-Boots,1063,20.htm

A little disclaimer about "waterproof". In using the term waterproof, I am really saying it as a matter of water resistance. There really is very little out there that is truly "waterproof", but the term seems to be thrown around freely. So as for the Blackhawk boots....they are very very very water resistant.

Hope that helps out some. Good luck in finding a pair that suits you and best of luck with your Marine Corps career.

I have the same boots (since August) and so far so good. But, it took a little time to break in. The souls are wearing a little faster than I anticipated but very comfortable once they wore in. Also takes a pretty good polish! I keep on saying I am going to post up a little review but I jus havent yet.

brit
3 February 2012, 16:15
You can always use what the Corps is using, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/93427/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A6%257C72%253A5841&rt=nc&_nkw=danner+rat&_catref=1&_dmpt=US_Men_s_Shoes&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

zero7one
3 February 2012, 16:41
I have the same boots (since August) and so far so good. But, it took a little time to break in. The souls are wearing a little faster than I anticipated but very comfortable once they wore in. Also takes a pretty good polish! I keep on saying I am going to post up a little review but I jus havent yet.

Which pair of boots are you using, the Blackhawks? For me the break-in was about 2 days before they felt just right.

neo9710
3 February 2012, 19:14
Which pair of boots are you using, the Blackhawks? For me the break-in was about 2 days before they felt just right.

Affirm. Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops Boot (8.5). Took me about a week to feel right. Now - very comfortable! It was the top of the boot that gave me the most problem. I agree with you on the tread. I took a picture of the bottom of the boot so I can keep track of the wear but I must have deleted it!:mad: Haven't had to walk through any extremely deep water (less than 8 inches) but definitely held its own. The Protected toe has taken a little bit of a beating but its still ticking. Had to clean the bottom off a couple of times - bristle brush - no problem. Also comfortable in the office. Let me see if I can snap some pics tomorrow..

lamarbrog
3 February 2012, 22:49
You can always use what the Corps is using, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mens-Shoes-/93427/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A6%257C72%253A5841&rt=nc&_nkw=danner+rat&_catref=1&_dmpt=US_Men_s_Shoes&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

I just contacted the seller about the pair of used 10W boots that show up first here.

The model number doesn't appear on the Danner website, but searching Google suggests these are cold weather boots. If they were temperate or hot, I'd order them in a heartbeat. Houston, TX isn't really compatible with anything cold weather, though.

If that doesn't turn out, the BlackHawk boots look appealing, although I'd probably get them in coyote tan rather than black. I like that they have Vibram soles. Are they imported?

brit
3 February 2012, 23:04
Lamar, I live over in New Braunfels, and I can definitely tell you that the temperate or cold weather boots would turn your feet into swampy stinkers. I would highly recommend hot weather boots if given the choice. Apparently, even the Temperate are uncomfortably warm in temperatures over 60.

lamarbrog
3 February 2012, 23:19
The Vandals I am wearing now are rated as being temperate weather boots... they're warm at times, but are also plenty warm for the winters here. Good all-purpose boots. I just wish they had lasted longer.

What kind of life should I be expecting from boots? Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I just know I had a pair of Wolverines that I got used from my Dad, and I wore them for nearly three years. I reattached the outsole twice in this time, and eventually the midsole just disintegrated from age. Given the time he wore them- these boots had to have seen at least three years of use, maybe four.

I have a pair of Corcoran field boots I bought used for $40. They had definitely seen some major use when I got them, and I have put about a year on them with no appreciable increase in wear. I just don't wear them often because they are a little too big, and have no padding at all.

Since those two pairs- I wore out a pair of Ariat Sierra Saddle ropers within about three months. Totally destroyed the toe caps, I was pulling chunks of the interior out on a daily basis, and the "Duratread" was losing large pieces. Comfortable, but disappointing durability.

Traded those in for a pair of Double-H ropers. Reheeled them three times over the course of about six months. The leather stretched so badly I could barely keep them on my feet.

I began popping stitches on these Vandals around the 2 month mark. Five months in revealed the initial holes in the sole.

It really seems that about two months is all I can expect from a pair of boots.

Maybe I should just get in touch with some footwear companies to evaluate their products? I'd make a great torture test.

lamarbrog
4 February 2012, 00:16
Update:

Rocky S2V: Ruled out upon finding that the soles are advertised as being truly "flat front to back" without a "pronounced heel". It may be good, it may be bad, but I haven't worn shoes without a heel since I was about 12- I don't want to have to learn how to walk again.

Danner FTX GTX Mojave: I can't get over the fact that they don't have Vibram soles, are imported, and still cost that much. Imported, Vibram-less Danners should not cost more than Vibram-soled, USA-made Rockys. Seems to be the definition of paying for a name.

Belleville 550ST: I wish they offered these without the steel toe, as I worry it will be uncomfortable. Aside from that, I would probably get these.

BLACKHAWK! Warrior Wear Desert Ops: While they are likely imported, they are priced well and have Vibram soles. Even better, we're a dealer for BLACKHAWK! at work, so I can get even better pricing. Currently in the lead. (Thanks for the suggestion zero7one.)

A new contender:
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Footwear/Coyote/Taclite-8-Coyote-Boot.html
Thoughts on 5.11 boots? I've never heard people talk about their footwear.

brit
4 February 2012, 04:43
Concerning work boots, as an EMT, I go thru a pair of work boots a year. My last two pairs of boots have been Bates side zips from Academy, but I think I'm gonna try to find a pair of Blackhawks next time around. The Bates are good boots for the 70 bucks I paid for them, but I think I might look around a little more next go-round

I have a pair of Wolverine lace-ups that are about 10 years old and have been re-soled that are in decent shape, the leather hasn't stretched much. I also have a pair of Red-Wing slip-ons that seem to be a little more prone to stretching. They both have Vibram soles and are pretty comfortable for a guy like me who has a high arch.

I have a pair of Danner RAT Hot weathers arriving today. I purchased them from an Ebay seller who got them from the Danner Outlet store. They have extremely small blems, so for $210 less than MSRP, I think it's a great deal. They're meant to get dirty anyhow right?

Good Luck, it sounds like you have a beast-like effect on boots. Keep us posted, I'd love to hear about your upcoming torture tests. :)

Eric
4 February 2012, 07:11
Straying a bit off topic, but if you get down to the Portland area, make a trip to the Danner Factory Store (http://www.danner.com/factory-store/). I've picked up a couple pair of seconds, and the blems are just about unnoticeable, but the savings are substantial.

lamarbrog
4 February 2012, 09:12
Straying a bit off topic, but if you get down to the Portland area, make a trip to the Danner Factory Store (http://www.danner.com/factory-store/). I've picked up a couple pair of seconds, and the blems are just about unnoticeable, but the savings are substantial.

That's convenient, I'll just pick up a pair the next time I'm at an Occupy protest there.

Just kidding. The factory seconds that are being sold on eBay are very appealing, though. Blems don't bother me- they'll definitely have blems once I get a hold of them.

Edit: Ordered a pair of Danner RATS #15670X off of eBay. Blems. $175 shipped. No steel toe, Vibram soles, USA made, and reasonably priced. Recraftable. Only downside is no GORE-TEX, but they'll probably dry fast anyway if they get wet.

I might also order a pair of 5.11 Taclite 8" Coyote Boots through my work. Won't hurt to have a second pair.

brit
6 February 2012, 17:56
I've been wearing those Danner RAT Hots all day, and they are awesome. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

It sucks that I have to put on my old beat-up Bates to go to work tomorrow.

Seanhagerty
6 February 2012, 21:17
The Rocky S2V are the ost comfortable boots I have ever worn. Worn ever day for about the last two years and no apparent wear. They have started cutting boot laces on one boot, thats troubling. I may replace them because of just that.

lamarbrog
6 February 2012, 22:28
The Rocky S2V are the ost comfortable boots I have ever worn. Worn ever day for about the last two years and no apparent wear. They have started cutting boot laces on one boot, thats troubling. I may replace them because of just that.

My biases against "feels like a tennis shoe" and "flat front to back" are the only thing preventing me from getting the Rocky S2Vs. Aside from those design aspects... USA Made, Vibram soles, and a reasonable price are all very appealing. I may end up with a pair eventually, but right now I am too conventional to make that leap.

I decided against the 5.11 Taclites after taking a closer look at a coworker's pair. They are constructed like a tennis shoe on the sole.

I'm going to see if I can find some of the BLACKHAWK! Desert Ops to look at in person. They're imported, but aside from that fit the bill nicely if they're built like a boot.

These Danners are on their third lace on the left boot. Replacing laces with paracord sheathing has fixed the problem temporarily.

lamarbrog
12 February 2012, 23:20
Update: My brand spankin' new pair of factory second Danner RAT boots, hot weather edition, no Gore-Tex arrived Friday. I wore them all day at work Saturday. Today, in an effort to let them air out and rest in hopes they will last, I wore my old pair of Danner Vandals today. I don't think the Vandals are as comfortable. My feet hurt.

It's unclear how well they will hold up in the long run at this point, but my first impressions on the RATs is very good. The quality appears to be excellent. One strange thing is the sole kind of bows outward in the middle/center. It takes some getting used to. I have not had a chance to see how slip resistant the soles are. They treads are the perfect size for collecting .40S&W brass.

I'll wear these for a few months and provide an update on how they are doing. As of now I have high hopes. Thanks to everyone for their input.

charrca
13 February 2012, 20:45
Another company to check out is Matterhorn boots. My current pair of duty boots are matterhorns and they're great, waterproof, insulated, tech toe, made in usa, and meet navy boot requirements (more restrictive than most). I had a pair of danners a couple pairs ago and these compare favorably.

lamarbrog
13 February 2012, 22:15
Another company to check out is Matterhorn boots. My current pair of duty boots are matterhorns and they're great, waterproof, insulated, tech toe, made in usa, and meet navy boot requirements (more restrictive than most). I had a pair of danners a couple pairs ago and these compare favorably.

Interesting. They appear to be affiliated with Corcoran. I have an old pair of Corcoran field boots in black leather that, aside from being a size too large, I am happy with. I'll definitely look into MAtterhorn products as well.

bluesgt380
20 February 2012, 14:49
Just got a pair of the Danner Melee.... very nice light weight boots.

lamarbrog
21 February 2012, 22:46
These will probably be the last pair of Danners I ever buy.

Upon hearing of the company's good reputation, I bought the Vandals. I liked the feel, but popping stitches after two months while simply being a student is not exactly durability, and that isn't hard use even. I blamed it on them being imported.

Got these RATs, and albeit they are blems off of eBay, they are made in the USA. Retail at $340, and even for blems I paid $175. I've had them just over a week, and the fabric sides are already unraveling at the seams. The stitches are not coming undone, the fabric is just of such poor quality it's coming apart after 10 days of use. (They were not even worn all ten of those days, and I spent much of a few of those days sitting at a desk.)

I'm really just sickened by their quality. I've had WalMart tennis shoes last longer. A receipt is required for warranty service, so I'm SOL on the Vandals. The RATs I bought off eBay, so that's a no-go through Danner I'm sure. Since it is the actual material the boots are made of coming apart, and not an assembly issue, I probably can't get them repaired very effectively.

I guess I'll just wear them until they fall apart (at this rate, I'm guessing that will by sometime in the next few weeks) and then decide what to try next. I like the look of the Wellco USMC, and also the Corcoran Desert Tan Marauder.

Mamba6
22 February 2012, 13:14
I had two pair of Danners that I used in Afghanistan. They were very comfortable right out of the box, and had no break in time. But their wear out date was short - around two months. Also, they both developed holes in the stitching on the swell on the side of my foot were my pinkie toe attached. The stitching snapped and the tan suede started to separate.

With the dozens of boots I have worn, I would recommend OTBs or Rocky IVs. They both have great service life, are very comfortable, and have little break-in time. The OTBs I really prefer because they are extremely lightweight and drain decently well.

Also, Belleville makes some good boots. I would recommend them except that they are heavy. Really heavy compared to the above boots. They do have excellent Vibram soles though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

lamarbrog
22 February 2012, 17:58
What's ridiculous is that these are sold as being "recraftable"... which I take as meaning you can resole them. No way these are going to last long enough to need new soles. For a boot that retails at $340, they should not be falling apart after a week.

brit
22 February 2012, 19:16
Instead of bitching about it on the internet, why don't you contact their customer service dept.?

lamarbrog
22 February 2012, 21:07
Instead of bitching about it on the internet, why don't you contact their customer service dept.?

Their customer service department can't do anything more than tell me "for warranty service, return your boots with the form printed off our website and a copy of your receipt" when I ask if they will warranty them without a receipt.

Besides, boots of the reputation and expense of Danners (of which I have two pairs now) should not need warranty service after such limited use.

To put the icing on the cake, now the stitching on the RATs is unraveling, too.

Mark7
22 February 2012, 21:44
I've owned 4 pair of Danner's over a 20+ year career- I don't have a bad word to say about them, I learned prior to buying my 1st pair from a buddy in the military to only buy Danner's that are made in America. Sorry to hear about your experience with the Vandal's- looking at their web site I see that the Vandal's are part of the 'Import" line.

lamarbrog
22 February 2012, 21:48
The Vandals lasted two months before busting stitches instead of two weeks. Currently, the imported model has a more impressive track record.

skd_tactical
23 February 2012, 10:44
I have been wearing various models of LOWA's. My newest pair is the zephyr. The tread is soft but they lasted me a year in AFG. They fit like a hybrid sneaker hiker and I have no problems running in them. The ankle support is great too. I honestly love these boots and will buy a third pair when one goes down.

SOS

tpelle
25 February 2012, 12:12
For the guys that have Corcoran boots, can you tell me if they have a lining?

I've had Bates and Rockys, and the thing that wears out first for me is the lining, so I'm looking for boots that are just one layer of leather. My boots will have a lining in them - they're called socks!

Diesel44
22 May 2012, 21:52
The Danner Striker boots I wear for duty are the most durable I have ever worn.

lamarbrog
9 June 2012, 23:45
I finally found the receipt for the Vandals. I sent them back to Danner and they sent me a brand new pair no questions asked. We'll see how they hold up.

The RAT boots wore a LOT for that first month or so, but have since sort of stabilized. I am a bit disappointed in that, but at least they are functional. These are probably the most breathable boots I have ever worn. (Mine are the no-Goretex version).

A couple days ago I ordered another pair from the website where Danner sells their seconds. They're comfortable, effective boots- even if they do like like they're falling to pieces.

Eric
10 June 2012, 06:40
The RAT boots wore a LOT for that first month or so, but have since sort of stabilized. I am a bit disappointed in that, but at least they are functional. These are probably the most breathable boots I have ever worn. (Mine are the no-Goretex version). It's interesting that Danner and Bates were both awarded the contract for the USMC RAT boots. I picked up a blem pair of the Bates version for about $54 and they are okay, but the Danners looked to be the better boot. I needed a pair to beat up at the range so I can save my duty boots.

lamarbrog
10 June 2012, 09:31
It's interesting that Danner and Bates were both awarded the contract for the USMC RAT boots. I picked up a blem pair of the Bates version for about $54 and they are okay, but the Danners looked to be the better boot. I needed a pair to beat up at the range so I can save my duty boots.

It doesn't surprise me. I'm quickly becoming convinced that the only way to get boots of acceptable quality would be to have them custom made by someone who really knows what they are doing. It's cost prohibitive.

I'm just going to start buying whatever boots I can get cheap that are a reasonably well-respected brand. I don't think paying more gets you a better product when it comes to footwear (after a certain point, obviously). Get cheap ones, when they fall apart in two months, get a new pair.

h0use
24 July 2012, 18:30
just got a pair of saloman quest 4d gtx. the best boot i have ever owned

Cameron
7 December 2012, 12:06
just got a pair of saloman quest 4d gtx. the best boot i have ever owned

That mirrors my experience too. I have had the Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots for several months now and they are excellent.

I had a recommendation to try the Salomon boots after being dissatisfied with Danner, Vasque, Merrel etc and after trying, not only their boots, but their trail running shoes and mid height boots I am sold on their quality and value.

lamarbrog
7 December 2012, 19:45
Wow, this thread is still going... guess it's time for an update.

I still have my Danner RAT boots. After the excessive wear they showed in the first two weeks- they actually haven't gotten substantially worse. Most of the wear that has become evident since that first few weeks is just cosmetic. The soles have gotten a good bit thinner- but I spend every day walking around on a concrete floor, so that's no surprise. No stitches breaking to speak of or further unraveling of any fabric. I ordered a second pair as a backup.

I recently ordered a pair of the non-Goretex Kinetic boots made by Danner. I've worn them for about a week now and am impressed with their comfort. They are imported, made in Vietnam so I hope they don't come apart quickly. I don't believe they can be recrafted. I'm really just breaking them in, and will probably return to my first pair of RAT boots after that and put these in back stock. Very comfortable, though, and light- they might get pulled out if I go on any longer duration backpacking trips. My only complaint so far is the color- they're practically white.

neo9710
27 June 2013, 17:42
I know this is an old thread but I thought id give you all a update on the Blackhawk boots - I finally wore them out and had to order a new set of boots. My feet started hurting(specifically my arches) a couple of days ago which made me really look at the boots. The souls are pretty much worn all the way down and the support is gone. I think I have had them since August of 2011 and they have taken a beating. I did put an insole in them which helped a lot. Stitchihng held up and so did the insulation. Kept me warm in the winter. They were one of the most comfortable pair of boots that I have owned...now I need a new pair! i ordered a pair of New Balance Bushmaster 6 Inch Black Boot. I believe New Balance bought out OTB. I did not go waterproof this time due to the fact of my assignment is mostly indoors. So, I will need to order a set of waterproof boots..

All and all..i got my money out of them..so thumbs up on these boots..

KevinBLC
27 June 2013, 17:53
Anyone try SWAT boots? I've been thinking about getting a pair of the side zip ones.

Cosmoline
28 June 2013, 08:39
Been wearing boots for over 35 years. I'm sure there are custom boots and mfg's that we have never heard of and of exreme quality. However, I have to say that I have never been disappointed with any Danner boots I have purchased. I have actually re-soled a few. I just picked up a pair of 453 gtx boots and am completed satisfied.
Boots are like trailers, seems like you need a more than one to suit different applications. One rarely covers all.

UWone77
28 June 2013, 19:34
Anyone have a decent recommendation on a low cut boot? During the summer months I like to wear "low - tops" instead of a full size boot.

Cosmoline
3 July 2013, 09:04
Anyone have a decent recommendation on a low cut boot? During the summer months I like to wear "low - tops" instead of a full size boot.

Check out the 453's i mentioned above, they are low. I heard the Merrills are good too, and a little less money.

Bree
28 August 2013, 13:43
Of course as a woman "need new boots" caught my eye. :) I'll check with my husband to see what he recommends and post it in here later.

UWone77
28 August 2013, 13:54
Of course as a woman "need new boots" caught my eye. :) I'll check with my husband to see what he recommends and post it in here later.

Great first post! [:D]

Bree
28 August 2013, 14:21
I thought this posted earlier, but I guess not.. so trying again..

I got excited seeing "need new boots" - as I am a woman! A woman married to a doomsday preparer! lol Learning a lot, but don't know about boots. Not these kind anyway. :) I'll ask him and post again soon.

Deckard
28 August 2013, 19:29
I have Lowa Renegades that I hike every week with they are comfortable, light, and never got a blister in them, however they squeak a lot. I've been eying Salewa MTN trainiers because of the casual look but can't find a good review on them.

Jerry R
29 August 2013, 07:52
I bought a pair of uninsulated Chippewa Ultralights back in 1970 - I will be wearing them Sunday on a dove hunt. They are still in great shape. I don't wear them every day, but they are my "go to" boots for all fair weather hunting and range trips. I have no idea what their current quality is, but my pair just won't die ! I also have a pair of Danner Frontier 400 Gram boots for my cooler weather hunting. They have also been an excellent choice. I don't do December/January hunting any more - way too old - blood too thin.

Oh, and Welcome to WEVO Bree - glad to have you here.

Bob Reed
31 August 2013, 05:48
Hello,

Last year I bought a pair of Sage Colored - Corcoran 10" inch Marauder Boots and their very lite weight and really keep my feet cool, comfortable & dry down here in hot, humid Florida.

The boots are well made and their holding-up well, and they run true-to-size. http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=87146&CategoryID=28

BTW: To my eyes, the 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon section on my boots (and their laces) appear more Foliage Colored than Sage (if that matters) - but it might just be my aging eyes. Also, the chips coming off the mills & lathes don't imbed in the soles when I wear them to the trade school where I teach machining, and this is a big plus for me (or anyone else) that's around a lot of machining.

UWone77
11 July 2014, 13:04
Resurrecting an old thread here... I need some new boots, but want some low cut ones for duty. Anyone know of some decent ones? Last pair were low cut Oakley's, they were okay, but nothing special. Lasted about 2 years.

Computalotapus
11 July 2014, 13:37
Seriously look at some Original Swat boots.

GaSwamper
12 July 2014, 05:37
Check out Worx through Red Wing. I hate Red Wings but I get gov. issues through them and came across these several years ago and their the most comftorble I've used besides maybe a Timberland. They feel broke in off the shelf, light composit safety toe, side zip, high or low top, with or without Gortex.

UWone77
13 July 2014, 19:21
Check out Worx through Red Wing. I hate Red Wings but I get gov. issues through them and came across these several years ago and their the most comftorble I've used besides maybe a Timberland. They feel broke in off the shelf, light composit safety toe, side zip, high or low top, with or without Gortex.

Checked them out, but didn't really see any styles with a polishable toe. They do look comfortable however.

I checked out the Original SWAT boots and am looking at the Chase Low or the Metro Air 5" Size Zip.

I'll look around a bit more and see what else is out there, I probably have another few months on the current boots.

GaSwamper
13 July 2014, 19:27
Checked them out, but didn't really see any styles with a polishable toe. They do look comfortable however.

I checked out the Original SWAT boots and am looking at the Chase Low or the Metro Air 5" Size Zip.

I'll look around a bit more and see what else is out there, I probably have another few months on the current boots.

Oh man I didn't even think about that, sorry.

DutyUse
12 September 2014, 00:10
It feels like my Danner Pronghorns are permanently attached to my feet. Definitely would not want to road march in these, but their comfortable in the woods and most terrain in my area.

Spitfire147
17 September 2014, 11:42
Resurrecting an old thread here... I need some new boots, but want some low cut ones for duty. Anyone know of some decent ones? Last pair were low cut Oakley's, they were okay, but nothing special. Lasted about 2 years.

Is this for duty use where you need to meet uniform requirments? If so I use the Danner Acadia in 8" but they also have the Patrol in 6" Best thing about these boots is not only do they look great and can be polished/shined but they can be resoled as needed and will most likely last many years. My acadia's are going on 7 years now with 4 resoles.

Otherwise my favorite boot hands down is the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I can't begin to say enough good things about them. Just my opinion, happy shopping!!

Doc2Go
11 October 2014, 23:44
Carolina Boots, all the way.

I have been wearing Corcoran 10" side-zip jump boots for about 25 years, now. I usually buy two pair at a time, directly from the factory. I know the zips aren't supposed to be for paras, but you can don them in about six seconds flat. Very, very convenient. About $120 a pair direct from the manufacturer, and Made In USA. You know those USAns, they make some pretty good stuff! lol

Wearing them all the time, year-round, for great traction, and they will last 3 to 5 years (about 1,500 to 2,000 wearings, or 20-30,000 hours). Not water resistant, but do breathe as only real leather can. You could have them resoled, but I haven't. Long before there is unacceptable tread-depth, I wear holes in the uppers; right where the shift peg on a motorcycle would be engaged (inboard, lower instep). Drop a good pair of shock insoles in them, and you are comfortable all day long. Silent and highly spit-shineable, too.

Get the lug sole, and it is very close to non-marking, is oil resistant, and keeps you upright on ice. The close fit of the shank lends itself very well to an ankle holster for a compact pistol or sheath for a knife, without printing too badly. Much better than the synthetic boots for CQB, armoured vehicle crews, foot-to-hand combat, or stomping a mudhole in someone's ash. The cap toe is not as protective as a steel or composite safety toe, but is worlds better protection for the toes than the thin "engineered genuine leather" in other designs. Especially if you kick things...and I do. Hope that helps.

-Doc

Titan74
28 October 2015, 13:27
Have a good look at Haix boots.

Haix is the european market leader in shoes for MIL, LE, EMT and FD users - and not without a good reason. The company is based in Germany and the quality of their products is extremely high. Their boots are comfortable (usually zero break-in required) but very tough, I've had my oldest pair of Haix boots in moderate-to-heavy use for 5 years already and they are still good to go. Before I used to wear out a pair of boots in 1-2 years. Someone actually wore Haix military boots (the model usually seen in AFG) for a marathon, and he claims he didn't get any blisters or black toenails.

din
28 October 2015, 22:10
http://i.imgur.com/5EHLq.png

Titan74
28 October 2015, 22:53
Haix deserves it. When the other boots mentioned are long gone, Haix boots are still going strong ;) (I did check the date, just did not pay enough attention to the year...).

tact
29 October 2015, 02:37
Hair didn't last very long at all for me.

Agree with the Solomon recommendations. I have been using the 4D GTX Forces. I am in pretty rough country all day and they've held up very well.

If you need to polish the boots I'd recommend the Rocky S2V. They are an excellent boot that'll take a lot of abuse as well, they are just a bit heavier than the Solomons.

Titan74
29 October 2015, 03:37
Hair didn't last very long at all for me.

That happens to the best of us. Perhaps you could grow a beard? :)

My experience with Salomon was at first very positive, but the shoes lasted only about an year in my use (and they started to squeak, which is annoying). My other favorite shoe brands are Meindl and Lowa, but I haven't had any boots from Lowa so can't comment on them.

Which model from Haix you had and did you contact Haix for their warranty repairs? I've been so satisfied that I have now 6 pairs: 2 pairs of military boots (P6, P9), 1 pair of safety boots (X21), sneakers (Black eagle) and office shoes (C1). Black eagle is the least tough and even it is better than other sneakers. X21 feels indestructible, P6 is my favorite for general use from streets to medium terrain.

Joelski
29 October 2015, 03:40
I love my Reebok First Responders. Best footbed in the business if you have wide feet. They come in black, or desert and most importantly, are available for wide flippers.

rubsy74
6 November 2015, 21:47
i have a pair of thorogood "the duece" . they are the most comfortable tac boots i have ever owned. i have them for about 7 months now and i use them everyday. the stitching are in good shape and the soles have a lot left on them. i like these boots alot. i even bought another pair .

voodoo_man
29 May 2016, 06:55
Resurrecting this thread...

Got these Blauer 6" Clash LT boots for duty.

http://i.imgur.com/nYKoJkt.jpg (http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/05/new-duty-boot.html)