PDA

View Full Version : AK Forward Grip Attached to Barrel.

Vern1968
6 February 2012, 17:05
Anyone ever heard of such a beast? Yeah I know it gets hot up there, but may not be a bad idea if done properly. It would be nice to have one without the "donkey d*#k" type setup. Just forward of the regular lower grip would be cool. Just a thought. Thanks guys.

lamarbrog
9 February 2012, 22:49
Never heard of one, as you say, it gets hot up there.

While it "may not be a bad idea" I'm not really seeing what makes it a good idea. Why not get a MI rail and put an AFG on it if you are trying to avoid a "common" VFG set up? Maybe there's something I am missing, but I just don't see the point.

Vern1968
10 February 2012, 09:27
Never heard of one, as you say, it gets hot up there.

While it "may not be a bad idea" I'm not really seeing what makes it a good idea. Why not get a MI rail and put an AFG on it if you are trying to avoid a "common" VFG set up? Maybe there's something I am missing, but I just don't see the point.

The MI rail is very cool. I have a co-worker who mounted it on his Romanian. He has a Magpul RVG on it and it is too close to the mag and can't be place too far out because of the rail length. I just prefer the grip being a bit farther out on te barrel. I'm running the stock K-var lower grip with the Ultimak and it's a great setup. Shot it for the first time last weekend and know first hand how hot the barrel gets and that was without any rapid fire. I ordered a pair of Mechanix gloves the next day. I am loving the platform of an AK. The simplicity of the design is genius. Looking to get an AK74 in the near future and make a folder out of it. 5.45x39 is a great round and at $249 for 2160 rounds of mil-surp make it very affordable to shoot. Thats less than 9 cents a round. Love the right up on the AKBC also on this site.

Creeky73
13 February 2012, 16:44
Might I suggest that perhaps you like the idea (or possibly just looks, even) of a vfg more than you will like it in actual practice? I was hell-bent on having them on my AR's at one time. Bought an $80 Bobro and one of the railed Magpul pieces when they first came out. Both of these units now reside in my spare parts box full-time. And as you are finding out, trying to make them work right on most AK setups has its own set of challenges. If you are looking to control barrel climb, a good muzzle brake is a good place to start. A friend of mine had his Saiga threaded for a Tropix brake and it made a night-and-day difference. Looked very mall ninja with its "persuasion points" but it was very effective, and a very noticeable difference.

lamarbrog
13 February 2012, 22:11
Might I suggest that perhaps you like the idea (or possibly just looks, even) of a vfg more than you will like it in actual practice? I was hell-bent on having them on my AR's at one time. Bought an $80 Bobro and one of the railed Magpul pieces when they first came out. Both of these units now reside in my spare parts box full-time.

When I recently got my Knight's RAS I put the included VFG onto it just to try it out. After about a week of playing around with it, and just finding it generally an annoyance more than anything, I took it off.

I do my best not to think poorly of other gun owners, since we're all on the same side, especially when they're into "tactical" stuff. However, when I see someone with a VFG my initial impression is "mall ninja". The folks you see using VFGs tend to have a completely decked out Olympic, DPMS, or RRA and no idea how to use it. Very rarely do I see experienced shooters using a VFG, and when they do it is usually as a hand-stop or as an improvised AFG.