PDA

View Full Version : New build-barrel advice

Andrew
7 February 2012, 10:56
Im in the process of building my first AR with a JD Lower, Magpul stock, and all quality parts. Living in California, I'm limited to a 16 inch barrel. I know very little about barrels (other than chrome lining, rifling, etc). I really like the look of the very thick barrel. Can someone please let me know what the barrels are called, like the Rock River "bull barrel," and if they are significantly heavier than their thinner counterparts, as I want to keep the rifle light. money not an issue. what are the best manufactuors of these types of barrels and what type of suppressor looks best on them. also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of these thicker barrels. Thanks in advance for the help from a Nebie. BTW-rifle is for close combat and shtf situations.

krinkle
7 February 2012, 15:05
Being in CA, you can have a 14.5 inch barrel with a properly pinned and welded muzzle device that gives your barrel an OAL of 16". For more info on this I'd suggest joining and reading the calguns.net message board. Also being in CA you can not own a suppressor unless you are a FFL 07/02 SOT as far as I know, you could check with OC Armory in CA, they sell suppressors to people outside of CA and to LE.

As for the 'thick" barrels they are called a variety of things, including "heavy" and "bull." Often you will see "Match" barrels with this look as well. I'm sure others on the board can give you more information on this, but I'd suggest taking these questions to calguns.net since you are in CA and our state gun laws are very different than the rest of the country.

Paulo_Santos
7 February 2012, 17:28
If your rifle is for close and SHTF, I'd get one as light as possible and also chrome lined. The bull barrels are rediculously heavy and the are stainless steel. I'd contact Rainier Arms or Bravo Company and see what they have.