PDA

View Full Version : NFA SBR Process - 6 months?

MoxyDave
12 February 2012, 11:56
I recently submitted a Form 1 to build a short-barrel rifle. After a couple months I called the BATFE to verify receipt, and asked for an ETA. They claim it will take 6 months to get my paperwork back.

Naturally they cashed my check right away ...

Of course you have to be patient with this sort of thing, but I'm curious:

What is your experience with Form 1 (SBR) applications? Are they taking the full 6 months they're allowed?

Hatter
12 February 2012, 12:18
There was a thread on this IIRC. Not explicitly on the SBR process but a few members had made comments and it turned into a bit of a tracking thread for NFA paperwork timelines. I know my Form 1 took about 4 or 5 months FWIW.

Rodman24
12 February 2012, 14:39
Wow. I submitted a Form 1 and 4 on March 16, 2011. The Form 1 was back in 61 days and the Form 4 was back in 100.

Hmac
12 February 2012, 15:43
I've never had a Form 1 go longer than 3 months, but rumor has it that within the last year or so the processing times have gone way up.

NFATracker.com has changed their reporting to just the last 6 months of data. You might find it useful to sort through http://www.nfatracker.com/reports.aspx

micah197
12 February 2012, 16:43
I sent my Form 1 in the beginning of July and received back beginning of December

restfortheweary
13 February 2012, 05:22
My most recent stamp took just over 5 months. The previous form 1's were around 90 days.

MoxyDave
13 February 2012, 13:40
Thanks for the info. I'll check out that site.

inch man
8 April 2012, 08:39
my form 1 for my sbr was pending as of 10-29-11. i received my stamp 4-5-12 , 5 months not bad. what else can you do, be patient.

MoxyDave
30 June 2012, 14:44
I finally got my tax stamps. I submitted 2 Form 1s exactly 7 months ago. At around 6 months I received a letter indicating they wanted "proof of Articles of Incorporation". These articles are publicly available on our Secretary of State website for any company in the state. I'm not sure why they couldn't just look that up themselves; it takes about 30 seconds. Undaunted, I printed out the Articles and sent them back via Certified Mail. At first I was upset thinking this would reset the clock and take another 6 months, but when I called a helpful secretary told me that I would not "lose my place in line". Sure enough, another month later I received my 2 tax stamps.

So yeah, over a half a year and $400 later I can finally make my SBRs. What a great use of taxpayer resources!

FortTom
1 July 2012, 15:38
Not trying to start a "political" thread here, but my advice would, if you have plans for a build and need a stamp, that you get it in as soon as possible. I believe that the outcome of the election, if it goes a certain way, will bring back all previous bans, and a complete stop to issuing NFA stamps for anything. Again, not trying to make a political statement, but just hedging my bets. I've got all the NFA guns I'll ever need. That's part of the reason that my last, and possibly final build, was founded on a mid length, unsuppresed general purpose rifle. Also, I've been buying more 30 round mags than I have been stocks. If I'm proven wrong, no harm no foul, I'll just have a bunch of extra magpul 30 rd. mags.....guess you can't have too many...huh?[:D]

FT

markm
2 July 2012, 06:10
Not trying to start a "political" thread here, but my advice would, if you have plans for a build and need a stamp, that you get it in as soon as possible. I believe that the outcome of the election, if it goes a certain way, will bring back all previous bans, and a complete stop to issuing NFA stamps for anything.[:D]

If it were to reach that level, I'd quit asking a corrupt government permission to be free. Kinda like during the old Assault Weapons Ban... I completely ignored that nonsense.

Rodman24
15 September 2012, 14:17
Form 1 mailed on March 5. Approved on September 6. Received form back on September 15.

devinsdad
24 November 2012, 13:25
I've got 4 months into my current Form 1 with no end in sight. I thought about the election posing issues with the ATF but so far, nothing new has happened. I do however, think this is temporary and another ban or outright outlawing certain types/firearms is in the works. While I hope not... in not much of an optimist.

LanceCriminal
10 January 2013, 19:12
I submitted mine last August, so I am hoping for some word here February or March. My buddy sent his in around June/July, and just last week got a phone call about them wanting the rest of his trust (I sent all of mine in, he must have just sent his certificate in or something), so it looks like 7 months is about the number for the moment.

knedrgr
21 January 2013, 21:18
I just got my Form 1 approved last week.

Sent it in middle of July 2012.
Check cashed end of July 2012.
Paper entered into system beginning of August 2012.
Stamp received middle of January 2013.

It was 1 week over the 6 month mark. The clock started when they enter your paperwork into the system.

LanceCriminal
30 January 2013, 16:25
Just got my SBR stamp approved. I used a money order, and never inquired when it went in the system.

Mailed early August 2012
Money Order cashed ???
Entered System ???
Approved 25 Jan
Received 30 Jan

Still awaiting word on my Suppressor. Mailed it at the same time, so should hear back from Virginia Arms this week or next.

AZSBR
9 March 2013, 19:54
I sent for three stamps last year in AUG 12, 2012 and just received the stamps back on Feb 25th. I'm still waiting for my SBR sent Oct 12th 2012

UWone77
9 March 2013, 19:58
I also sent in 3 stamps last year:

AAC 762SDN-6
Sent:1/2/12
Approved: 6/20/12
Type: Trust
Examiner: Sandra Snook

AAC Aviator & AAC Mini
Sent: 4/1/12
Approved: 10/19/12
Examiner: Sandra Snook

UWone77
9 March 2013, 20:02
Sending in 3 more this year:

Surefire FA212
Sent: 1/29/13
Approved:
Examiner:

Huntertown Arms Guardian 9
Sent: 3/4/13
Approved:
Examiner:

Surefire SOCOM SB556
Sent 3/9/13
Approved:
Examiner:

Stryker medic
21 June 2013, 03:19
Does anybody has any updates on the lead time to get the stamp approved?

UDT
21 June 2013, 06:29
The latest I have heard is 6 to 9 months.

UWone77
21 June 2013, 17:02
The latest I have heard is 6 to 9 months.

That's what I keep seeing. I guess I didn't want my new cans till the end of the year anyway. [BD]

Stryker medic
25 June 2013, 02:45
Ive heard a different story though. People and LGS had been saying that since ATF had added a lot of trainees and staff in the last couple of months, it had been a lot faster.

UWone77
25 June 2013, 04:08
Ive heard a different story though. People and LGS had been saying that since ATF had added a lot of trainees and staff in the last couple of months, it had been a lot faster.

The added staff is offset by the increased work load and applications, which is why we are still seeing 6+ month wait times.

AceTacArms
1 September 2013, 11:41
My SBR took around 7 months.
I sent other form in MAR 2013 and still waiting and from the sounds of it might take more then 9 months.

MoxyDave
1 September 2013, 11:58
I called recently to inquire about a pending suppressor stamp and was told it would be 9 months ... we shall see ...

UWone77
1 September 2013, 19:09
I called recently to inquire about a pending suppressor stamp and was told it would be 9 months ... we shall see ...

When did you send it in Dave?

MoxyDave
2 September 2013, 00:13
When did you send it in Dave?

I sent it in on 3/2/2013. I was expecting 6 months like most of my previous stamps. I must have sounded incredulous on the phone with the nice lady.

UWone77
2 September 2013, 00:32
I sent it in on 3/2/2013. I was expecting 6 months like most of my previous stamps. I must have sounded incredulous on the phone with the nice lady.

I sent one in on 3/9 so I'm right there with you!

Ast
2 September 2013, 10:22
I think 6 months may be a bit optimistic. I mailed off my form 1 on Jan. 3rd--got approved on Aug. 15th.

MoxyDave
1 October 2013, 12:21
Does anyone know how the govt. shutdown will affect NFA reviews? In other words, are my NFA items "on hold" until the retards get back?

Jerry R
1 October 2013, 17:11
Can't say for sure, but if I were a betting man I would think anything to help our community would be deliberately placed on hold or slow-down.

UWone77
1 October 2013, 21:54
Considering I'm over 9 months on a stamp I Submitted in Jan, it wouldn't be surprising.

Computalotapus
2 October 2013, 04:31
Considering I'm over 9 months on a stamp I Submitted in Jan, it wouldn't be surprising.

Ugh just picked up an M&P 9 with the threaded barrel and seriously considering a can for it. Might as well do the paperwork now I guess

gatordev
2 October 2013, 15:53
The NFA branch was already suffering from overload, so I'm sure this isn't helping. As of ~month or two ago, they were down 3 examiners from their new allotment. 6 people apparently left but they hired 3 more. Like UWone, I submitted paperwork on Jan 2 and I'm still waiting.

I'm guessing they're having the same issues as everywhere else right now. Not gun-related, but on the .mil side, stuff is still getting processed (some stuff, but not everything), but now there's only 1 (or none) person doing the processing as opposed > 1 before. Everything is taking longer and therefore less efficiently. I have a couple of my guys stuck in limbo because they can't get paid until their paperwork is processed, but the processing is taking forever.

I'm getting the feeling this will last more than the few days I originally thought, unfortunately.

UWone77
2 October 2013, 15:53
Ugh just picked up an M&P 9 with the threaded barrel and seriously considering a can for it. Might as well do the paperwork now I guess

Send them in early and often.

After I get back these next 4, I think I'm done for awhile. The last one I sent it ... if I'm lucky may get approved next August. Ridiculous.

mustangfreek
3 October 2013, 02:28
Im hoping washington will give SBR's a chance this year, its looking like a possibility that it might make it to a vote <--fingers crossed

MoxyDave
9 October 2013, 15:21
I just called the ATF to ask about my paperwork. They have a recorded message stating that due to the shutdown they are "unable to answer routine calls at this time", but you can leave a message if you are a Federal Agent. Wonderful. Why do I pay taxes again?

Computalotapus
9 October 2013, 15:33
Im hoping washington will give SBR's a chance this year, its looking like a possibility that it might make it to a vote <--fingers crossed

Michigan has the SBR petition going around. We are all hoping we can get it to vote as well

MoxyDave
25 October 2013, 11:52
Today I called to check on my Form 4 application. They told me it was approved in March, and I could expect a 15 month wait beyond that. This is up from 12 months when I called last time.

I think this might be my last stamp. This process is absolutely retarded.

NFA Wait Times Explode (TTAB) (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/foghorn/nfa-wait-times-explode-no-relief-in-sight/)

gatordev
25 October 2013, 14:41
"Approved" or "Pending?" I'm thinking you meant Pending, as once it's approved, it just needs to get mailed out.

Out of curiosity, when did you mail it in? I don't have my serial number handy to call and check for my suppressor and I'm curious how long it took to go Pending for you.

MoxyDave
26 October 2013, 16:18
You are correct, the current status is "Pending". I sent it in early February, so about a month for them to cash my check and get to "Pending".

rob_s
26 October 2013, 17:30
15 months? Jesus.

At what point does this become a conspiracy to kill the NFA market?

KevinBLC
26 October 2013, 17:46
Today I called to check on my Form 4 application. They told me it was approved in March, and I could expect a 15 month wait beyond that. This is up from 12 months when I called last time.

I think this might be my last stamp. This process is absolutely retarded.

NFA Wait Times Explode (TTAB) (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/03/foghorn/nfa-wait-times-explode-no-relief-in-sight/)

Mother of .... and that's a 2012 article you linked.

I was thinking about getting my first can, but 15 months?

mustangfreek
26 October 2013, 18:44
Mother of .... and that's a 2012 article you linked.

I was thinking about getting my first can, but 15 months?

Me too, but no funds and who knows how long/hard this process will be if/when they take away the trust option.

Computalotapus
26 October 2013, 18:46
15 months? Jesus.

At what point does this become a conspiracy to kill the NFA market?

We talked about this at work. And the process of CPL is about the same. You can submit your CPL paperwork and we here have 45 days to get an answer but what they didn't tell you is 45 days from when they meet in it not the submission of the paper work. It will get approved at the meeting but they still sit on it for 43 days before you hear if you are approve or not.

I understand the ATF is undermanned but 15 months to process paperwork what I'm thinking is more of "we got your money we are going to make you wait as long as possible before you get your stamp"

I will be filing for a stamp soon. And I'm sure by the time it clears I will most likely forgot I applied for it and it will be like Christmas when it comes

MoxyDave
27 October 2013, 13:10
I will be filing for a stamp soon. And I'm sure by the time it clears I will most likely forgot I applied for it and it will be like Christmas when it comes

Hah that is the only good part about this. Any day now could be Christmas!

However, they'll probably push it out to 5 years by the time you get your paperwork in ...

gatordev
27 October 2013, 16:46
I understand the ATF is undermanned but 15 months to process paperwork what I'm thinking is more of "we got your money we are going to make you wait as long as possible before you get your stamp"

From a bureaucratic/GS worker standpoint, this just doesn't make sense. They don't care about your money because they don't see it and there is no incentive to make things faster OR slower. The worker bee at the desk is just trying to move paperwork from the IN basket to the OUT basket. I genuinely believe the NFA examiners are on our side...or at least on neutral ground. They're just trying to stop the never-ending siege of paper.

The much bigger question is why does the process outside of the NFA branch take so long? If you run a NICS on me and I've already submitted multiple NFA forms in the past, why does it still take the same amount of time to check me out? From my understanding, this is out of the NFA's hands and goes to the FBI (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you've checked me multiple times already and I don't have a hit on the NICS, just give me my weapon. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Interestingly, NFA Tracker is telling me I should have received my suppressor paperwork by now. It will be interesting to see if it continues to say that or if, after another month or so, the data starts to show that there are delays. With any luck, maybe I'll have it for Christmas when I go home. It will have been 357 days at that point.

UWone77
27 October 2013, 22:59
Called the other day, and confirmed... I was told 15 months from the date it goes pending.

Maybe I'll get to shoot my Surefire 762 Mini sometime in 2015.

Computalotapus
28 October 2013, 03:02
Crazy talk...but I'm gonna submit my paperwork anyways. Do I need to resubmit for every suppressor I want to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

UWone77
28 October 2013, 04:29
Crazy talk...but I'm gonna submit my paperwork anyways. Do I need to resubmit for every suppressor I want to purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Every suppressor will require a separate Form 4/tax stamp/application/CLEO sign off (if you go that route)

Basically, it's a pain in the ass. How about we just get cans over the counter after the NCIC check. I'll be happy to fork over Uncle Sam's $200 cut then.

rob_s
28 October 2013, 04:44
From a bureaucratic/GS worker standpoint, this just doesn't make sense. They don't care about your money because they don't see it and there is no incentive to make things faster OR slower. The worker bee at the desk is just trying to move paperwork from the IN basket to the OUT basket. I genuinely believe the NFA examiners are on our side...or at least on neutral ground. They're just trying to stop the never-ending siege of paper.

The much bigger question is why does the process outside of the NFA branch take so long? If you run a NICS on me and I've already submitted multiple NFA forms in the past, why does it still take the same amount of time to check me out? From my understanding, this is out of the NFA's hands and goes to the FBI (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you've checked me multiple times already and I don't have a hit on the NICS, just give me my weapon. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Interestingly, NFA Tracker is telling me I should have received my suppressor paperwork by now. It will be interesting to see if it continues to say that or if, after another month or so, the data starts to show that there are delays. With any luck, maybe I'll have it for Christmas when I go home. It will have been 357 days at that point.

The individual paper-pusher may or may be on "our side", but his bosses, bosses' bosses, and on up answer to people with an agenda.

As you point out, in 2013 it is asinine that this process continues in the exact same way as it has for nearly 100 years now. But then, we are talking about the same govt that can't get the healthcare website working and that's something they WANT to do. Think about what a disaster it would be if it was something they had an interest in blocking?

Hmac
28 October 2013, 04:54
It would make a lot of sense to do that for suppressors and SBRs and let the dealer sell the Federal stamp, as well as post offices, or even removing those weapons from the NFA altogether. Unfortunately, getting rid of the extended background check, (photo, LEO sign off, and fingerprints) would require a legislative change to the NFA. I don't see any congressional movement likely that would have the appearance of making it easier to legally obtain these weapons.

gatordev
28 October 2013, 15:32
The individual paper-pusher may or may be on "our side", but his bosses, bosses' bosses, and on up answer to people with an agenda.

A fair point. I just try to temper my frustration and direct it towards the right direction, and blaming the individual examiner isn't where the problem lies. As you said, it's bigger than that.

Maybe I'll get to shoot my Surefire 762 Mini sometime in 2015.

I'm just hoping they still have one in stock when I go home for Xmas...and I can get the same price you did. I figure I might as well start the process then since it will be a while. Much easier than trying to do it through Silencer Shop and adding another period for the Form 3.

UWone77
28 October 2013, 17:20
A fair point. I just try to temper my frustration and direct it towards the right direction, and blaming the individual examiner isn't where the problem lies. As you said, it's bigger than that.

I'm just hoping they still have one in stock when I go home for Xmas...and I can get the same price you did. I figure I might as well start the process then since it will be a while. Much easier than trying to do it through Silencer Shop and adding another period for the Form 3.

Silencer Shop did have a good deal on the SOCOM Mini $1181! http://www.silencershop.com/shop/surefire-socom762-mini

I'm pretty satisfied with the guys at Gun Gallery though. They responded very quickly and didn't hesitate to work with me on the price. After I gave them my FFL's point of contact, the Form 3 paperwork was already handled before I even contacted my FFL to confirm they were in contact with them.

gatordev
28 October 2013, 18:00
That's good to hear. Hopefully they'll be as proactive with someone there in person trying to get the same thing (and having to pay state tax)...assuming they have one in stock.

gatordev
30 October 2013, 14:40
Finally got a hold of my FFL back home and he said he had my Form 4 with an August date on the stamp. Hurray. Sounds like it showed up a week or two after I was there on leave. Oh well.

That was January to August. It will be interesting to see if the two lowers I submitted in April takes longer than 8 months with the shutdown. I'm pretty sure they will.

knedrgr
6 November 2013, 17:26
Just called the NFA the other day, waiting on my Form 1 for a G17 SBR. And I was informed it was approved on October 2nd, 2013. So it appears that it was approved while on furlough. Waiting for them to forward a copy to my new address, since they don't forward mail... Boooooo

Sent it in at the beginning of February, and approved at the beginning of October. So exactly 8 months.

nitteo
10 November 2013, 08:00
Sent in a Form 1 for my Pap M92 SBR this week. I guess ill have it by 2015. fml

gatordev
3 December 2013, 16:00
I'm pretty satisfied with the guys at Gun Gallery though. They responded very quickly and didn't hesitate to work with me on the price. After I gave them my FFL's point of contact, the Form 3 paperwork was already handled before I even contacted my FFL to confirm they were in contact with them.

Thanks for the gouge on your deal. I talked to Neil today (after some emails) and ended up grabbing a SOCOM Mini. I'll do the paperwork in a couple of weeks when I go home for Xmas. And then only a month or so left until I'm back to a place where my guns can be as short and/or as quiet as I want. Oh, and Surefire is finally shipping my SR-25 brake! It's like Christmas. Oh, it is!

UWone77
3 December 2013, 16:06
Thanks for the gouge on your deal. I talked to Neil today (after some emails) and ended up grabbing a SOCOM Mini. I'll do the paperwork in a couple of weeks when I go home for Xmas. And then only a month or so left until I'm back to a place where my guns can be as short and/or as quiet as I want. Oh, and Surefire is finally shipping my SR-25 brake! It's like Christmas. Oh, it is!

That's great news.

I just got the call my Surefire 212 FDE can just got approved. No time to pick it up until next week through. I submitted my paperwork January 29th so it only took 308 days to get it through the NFA process. Once my SOCOM SB gets approved and my Mini-762 clears the form 3, Then it'll be Christmas for me.

gatordev
3 December 2013, 17:05
Yikes. You must have just "missed" the window on your 212. Mine (same same, 212 FDE from Rainier) was submitted January 2nd and approved sometime in early August. Looking forward to going and picking it up when I get home.

Again, thanks for the ammo to work the deal.

UWone77
7 December 2013, 13:08
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/1456052_497007720413167_657846479_n_zpseac55f2e.jp g (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/1456052_497007720413167_657846479_n_zpseac55f2e.jp g.html)

gatordev
7 December 2013, 17:40
Show off.

...two more weeks 'til I get home...

UWone77
8 December 2013, 14:45
Show off.

...two more weeks 'til I get home...

I forget, is there a stamp waiting for you when you get home? Or are you just starting that new purchase?

gatordev
8 December 2013, 15:53
I forget, is there a stamp waiting for you when you get home? Or are you just starting that new purchase?

Both. My FDE -212 stamp is waiting for me. That's why I enjoyed your pic. A SOCOM Mini will need paperwork when I get there. Sadly they're not on the eForms yet, so I'm sure it will be a leisurely wait. I guess I need to research if a buyer can still do a Form 4 eForm even if the seller/FFL doesn't normally do one. Maybe I'll just bring my wife's iPad to the store with me...

UWone77
8 December 2013, 18:14
Both. My FDE -212 stamp is waiting for me. That's why I enjoyed your pic. A SOCOM Mini will need paperwork when I get there. Sadly they're not on the eForms yet, so I'm sure it will be a leisurely wait. I guess I need to research if a buyer can still do a Form 4 eForm even if the seller/FFL doesn't normally do one. Maybe I'll just bring my wife's iPad to the store with me...

Gator,

There is the FA556-212 somewhere under there ;) Can't wait to see pictures of yours brother!

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/UWone77/543963_582854795119978_889684952_n_zpsa4f86dfa.jpg (http://s849.photobucket.com/user/UWone77/media/543963_582854795119978_889684952_n_zpsa4f86dfa.jpg .html)

gatordev
9 December 2013, 18:04
Gator,

There is the FA556-212 somewhere under there ;) Can't wait to see pictures of yours brother!]

I was actually perusing covers today while trying to kill time at work. Here's a VERY quick and dirty from last year when I got to play with it a bit while doing paperwork. Please excuse the very incomplete MK18. It will be much more correct (for a semi-auto) in a few weeks.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/gatordev/MK18Surefire_zpsf20e75bd.jpg