PDA

View Full Version : ar-15 build

ar-15man
12 February 2012, 14:36
i am looking to build and AR, but i want to build one with and 18" barrel, would like to go with something fluted stainless in 5.56x45 with standard length gas system but all i can find is 223 wylde. does anybody know of a company that makes a barrel that i am looking for.

Rodman24
12 February 2012, 14:51
Can you explain your requirement for a rifle length gas system? Noveske has a lightweight 18" barrel (intermediate length) and I once read that they would flute a barrel for you before they do the rifling. You might want to call them to verify.

EDIT: Not suggesting that they would flute a lightweight barrel, just that they offer a lightweight option.

ar-15man
12 February 2012, 20:57
it doesn't have to be a rifle length i would go with intermediate length or even carbine but i want the fluted 18" for sure i will check with Noveske to see what they can do.

Hatter
13 February 2012, 05:31
What you're probably running into is that the market might not support the 5.56 chamber in 18" barrel lengths. I think the 18" bbl is used more for distance shooting or SPR builds. If accuracy is the name of the game the 223 Wylde chamber tightens the weapon up at the point of ignition. If you're not concerned with the chamber why the extra 2"?

I'm sure you can probably find an 18" bbl with 5.56 chamber but this may be why it isn't as common.