PDA

View Full Version : Cheap vs. Inexpensive

zero7one
15 February 2012, 23:31
Sometimes individuals use the words "Cheap" and "Inexpensive" as if they are interchangeable. In my opinion, something is cheap if it is made up of inferior materials and is of low quality. Something is inexpensive if it is made of quality materials and good craftsmanship, though it does not cost an exorbitant amount of money.

For example, an Aero Precision Lower Receiver. The 7075 T6 aluminum forged MIL-SPEC AP Lower retails right now for approximately $85, though at one point it was selling for around $70. Now there are some companies out there that are selling their lowers in the $300 range. Does that mean that the AP lower receiver is inferior and cheap, or is the quality of the lower meeting or exceeding the industry standard at a more inexpensive cost?

http://zero7one.defensemk.com/Aero_Precision/zero7one_Aero_Precision_001.jpg

I personally own an Aero Precision Lower Receiver. I actually used it for my duty patrol rifle for about 2 years and had approximately 4,000 rounds through it during that time period. Not once did I experience a malfunction or any catastrophic failure. Was I pleased with the quality? Absolutely. Was I pleased with the price? ABSOLUTELY!

Does this mean that a $85 lower receiver will give you the same features of a $300 lower? Not necessarily, however I just want to make sure that someone with a smaller budget can still find high quality parts for a more reasonable cost.

Now on the flip side of things...

There are products out there that as instructors at our range, will not authorize for use on our duty rifles for Officers to carry. We have seen time and time again an Officer bring their latest toy out to the range to slap on their rifle, only to have it snap off within the first hour of training. Was this product inexpensive? Probably. Was this product cheap? Absolutely.

For the sake of these companies that make the products not allowed by our department, I will not mention them by name in this setting. Those companies make products that may work well for certain types of shooters and they will continue to work well for those shooters because they will not put the equipment through the constant stress that LE/MIL do.

For the purpose of this thread, I would like to hear what products you have found out there that were INEXPENSIVE (not cheap), yet performed to a standard that you would feel comfortable in using in a life threatening situation. If you mention a product, please let us know what types of torture tests or environments the product has been through and any information you have backing your products durability.

Fireman
15 February 2012, 23:38
Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport, low cost but high quality.

zero7one
15 February 2012, 23:42

Agreed with the M&P-15 series. I was very pleasantly surprised with the M&P-15's that our Department went to as our issued gun. For a Carbine-length gas system, it shoots smooth and accurate. Would not have been my top choice, but it definitely does the job, does it well, and it a money saver when you are buying into the hundreds of rifles.

mallowpufft
15 February 2012, 23:55
I haven't been able to spend much time with it yet but so far I've been pretty impressed with my PSA lower. I've got just shy of 500 rounds through it without a hitch. Don't know if I'd trust my life to it, yet, but I'll certainly trust a coyote's life to it :).

TomInProv
16 February 2012, 05:02

I wouldn't call it cheap, but it doesn't have a dust cover, and for having the name m&p, it doesn't have the attachment stepdown on the barrel.

I've never been able to fire mine more than 30 rds without a red hot barrel, while I have another much higher quality upper that can shoot a hundred rounds without overheating.

I would say the m&p sport lower is great, however, the upper leaves much room for improvement.

MoxyDave
16 February 2012, 10:23
Absolutely agree about Aero Precision / PSA lower receivers. I bought several when they were $50 and they all work perfectly.

Fenix Flashlights are inexpensive, yet very high quality. I have had one on my keyring for many years and it's been tossed around and beaten up a lot over the years and hasn't failed.

I'm sure I'll think of more as the day goes on ...

markm
16 February 2012, 12:56
[:D]
Those ASP cuffs are CHEAP!

zero7one
16 February 2012, 15:22
[:D]
Those ASP cuffs are CHEAP!

Agreed. I have a pair and they are the backups to my backup's backup.

lamarbrog
23 February 2012, 12:17
I have been really happy with my Galco M5X. It's part of the Matrix series of holsters. The M5X is the OWB Paddle holster, they also make an OWB Belt holster, an IWB holster, and an OWB Level 2 holster as part of the Matrix line.

The M5X secures with three teeth on the paddle and feels far more secure than my Blackhawk SERPA (now retired) or my Desantis Kydex Paddle (I still like this holster, and use the Glock 17 version for my FNP-9)

The M5X does not have a mechanical lock, but the pistol is held very securely in the holster with two adjustment screws for variable tension. I've been using it now for about six weeks, and it is showing no structural wear. The whole thing is molded thermoplastic and is riveted together.

Downsides are that cant is not adjustable. I find that the slight forward cant is very comfortable, and lack of adjustment there has not been an issue. The surface is scuffed easily, but I have heard black boot polish will make it look like new, although I have not found this necessary yet.

For $33, it's hard to beat.

doubleactiononly
25 February 2012, 20:39
This may be a given to most. But as an inexpensive but high value, Ill have to say Breakfree/CLP.
I was raised with Hoppe's and Rem oil. So that was my main stay for decades. As I got older and into more high power platforms, Ive tried numerous expensive "lead/copper cutters". None were ever really worth the over bearing cost to me. Not that they didnt work as intended. My budget just could never sustain the purchasing of them. So I stayed with what I knew, Hoppes.
But reading and rereading the use of clp by the more knowledgeable members and staff here and around other sites I finally started to use CLP. And for the cost and what it does, it is now my preferred choice for maintaining my hardware. Like I said, I know there are many, many other products. But as the topic is cheap vs. inexpensive, the price and availability of it , IMHO, Breakfree/CLP is hard to compete. Just my opinion.

lamarbrog
25 February 2012, 21:30
This may be a given to most. But as an inexpensive but high value, Ill have to say Breakfree/CLP.
I was raised with Hoppe's and Rem oil. So that was my main stay for decades. As I got older and into more high power platforms, Ive tried numerous expensive "lead/copper cutters". None were ever really worth the over bearing cost to me. Not that they didnt work as intended. My budget just could never sustain the purchasing of them. So I stayed with what I knew, Hoppes.
But reading and rereading the use of clp by the more knowledgeable members and staff here and around other sites I finally started to use CLP. And for the cost and what it does, it is now my preferred choice for maintaining my hardware. Like I said, I know there are many, many other products. But as the topic is cheap vs. inexpensive, the price and availability of it , IMHO, Breakfree/CLP is hard to compete. Just my opinion.

Along the same lines, regular old 10W-30 motor oil is awesome as a cheap and effective lube. On the range I work at, 30 weight is what keeps our fleet of rentals running, including the M16s which often go over a month without cleaning. You get a really funky smell for the first few shots, but after that smell burns off it is great.

I have often considered pouring in a few tablespoons of something else per quart so it is a "proprietary formula", putting it into nifty little drip-bottles, and printing up some labels with ninjas and attractive women on them and selling it for $10 per bottle. I could even find some retired Navy SEAL to be my spokesman and brag on how awesome it is. Then, reality hits me, and I realize that the market for miracle oils that do nothing better than 10W-30 is already saturated.

TehLlama
26 February 2012, 13:45
it doesn't have the attachment stepdown on the barrel. \

Huh? Really?

Understand the actual cost involved in making certain items - it's possible to produce an in-spec lower receiver for around $50 - factor in liability, overhead, and some margin of profit and an $85 lower is about right unless you're adding a different feature set.
Conversely, the cost to actually QC the lower parts kit items and actually throw out the ones that don't meet the tighter spec DOES matter - the sub-$60 LPK's are lacking in all my experiences, and since there is a finite stream of those parts coming from the OEM's, one has to conclude that the rejects from the more selective companies wind up in the cheaper LPKs.

It's worth the effort to learn what's involved in certain parts, especially ones whee metallurgy matters so you can actually tell the difference between parts that can be bought inexpensively, and parts where buying cheap means buying twice.