PDA

View Full Version : 300AAC Quiet, or loud?

lawngrizzly
17 February 2012, 19:35
Hey everyone! I have a question about the noise of a 300AAC, or even the sunsonic 300. I hunt with my AR, in a somewhat suburban area. It's a 16" 5.56 and I'm runnin some Marine rounds, the 62 gr. BTHP matches. Anyways, this thing is quite loud , and am thinkin it would be nice to get an upper that is a little quieter. I have a 5.7x28, but I can tell it's just a pinch quieter. I'm hunting coyotes with this rifle, so the 5.7x28 isn't quite enough energy for a humane kill, in my opinion. So, who has hsot this caliber, and could you please give ur honest opinion? Thank You. BTW, I will NOT be runnin a supressor.

tac40
7 April 2012, 13:12
I've used both the 110 and 220 grain from Remington. The 110 load would be close to the sound level of the 556, whereas the 220 is a bit softer. I shot the 220 without ear protection. While this was not a scientific measured read with a sound meter, rather standing in the Texas plains hunting wild pigs. The landscape was quiet and the fired 220 grain round was tolerated by everyone within a few feet from me. At a Haley Strategic Partner AR class, Haley and few others shot it and walked away with a smile, the comment was this thing is quieter then the 556. No suppressors were used. If I can, I'll get a sound meter next month.

Stickman
19 April 2012, 16:07
I wouldn't think it enough to really make much of a difference. I base that on hundreds of thousands of rounds of 5.56, and only 6-7,000 of 300BLK.