PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Phase 5 REVO SAS

Austin Tatious
21 February 2012, 12:13
First of all, just wanted to say "Hello". Been lurking around here for a while, and finally got an account set up. Seems like a very welcoming atmosphere, not like some other forums out there, with a lot of great experience and opinions.

Anyway, I'm looking at doing my first AR build in the near future. I have done a lot of research on components, in addition to swapping out parts on my current AR to find what I like or don't like. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Phase 5 REVO SAS sling attachment point.

http://www.phase5tactical.com/products/ar15-m16/revo-sas-revolving-sling-attachment-solution-

It seems a bit pricey to "test" out, and with a fairly unique concept, I question the durability, functionality, etc. for duty use. I haven't been able to find any decent reviews, or much literature on the product in general. I currently run a Magpul ASAP. I like the ability to transition without binding my sling up, and the ASAP and REVO seem to address this issue. I don't really have any complaints about the ASAP, other than it can sometimes be difficult to get my sling hooked up since the ring has a tendency to move and bounce around. Just looking for any thoughts out there. Thanks, guys.

Aragorn
21 February 2012, 17:53
Never tried the phase 5, but if you're after something similar to your ASAP minus the ring, this might be worth checking out.

http://www.ikickhippies.com/

zero7one
21 February 2012, 18:06
Austin T - Welcome to WEVO. I'm glad that you found us.

As for the REVO SAS...I have not yet had the chance to handle this end plate/sling mount yet, and I too am interested in seeing how it pans out. I run the MS3 sling and ASAP on my duty rifle. I would like to handle it to see how freely the loop swivels around. It seems like the loop can only swivel on one single plane where the ASAP is a little more forgiving in what direction the sling is moved. Also I would like to see why a custom machined castle nut is needed. What function does is serve? And can the endplate/mount be "staked" to prevent the castle nut from backing out? I also wonder if the castle nut is tightened enough, if it would prevent the sling mount portion from being rotated.

I'm curious about when you are trying to hook into the ASAP that the ring bounces around. Are you running a Magpul MS2 or MS3 sling? Or do you run another sling that does not have the attachment point about 3" above the rear hook?

Austin Tatious
21 February 2012, 23:40
Never tried the phase 5, but if you're after something similar to your ASAP minus the ring, this might be worth checking out.

http://www.ikickhippies.com/

Thanks for the recomendation, Aragorn. I have seen quite a few people running this, and have heard mostly good things about it. It is definitely a possibility.

Austin T - Welcome to WEVO. I'm glad that you found us.

As for the REVO SAS...I have not yet had the chance to handle this end plate/sling mount yet, and I too am interested in seeing how it pans out. I run the MS3 sling and ASAP on my duty rifle. I would like to handle it to see how freely the loop swivels around. It seems like the loop can only swivel on one single plane where the ASAP is a little more forgiving in what direction the sling is moved. Also I would like to see why a custom machined castle nut is needed. What function does is serve? And can the endplate/mount be "staked" to prevent the castle nut from backing out? I also wonder if the castle nut is tightened enough, if it would prevent the sling mount portion from being rotated.

I'm curious about when you are trying to hook into the ASAP that the ring bounces around. Are you running a Magpul MS2 or MS3 sling? Or do you run another sling that does not have the attachment point about 3" above the rear hook?

I should have been a little more clear about the ASAP. The issue with the ring moving is only when I'm trying to initially attach my sling, and it doesn't really classify as a problem. I run a few different slings, one of which is the MS3. With the MS3, it attaches fairly easily. I have a couple other slings that have mash clip style attachments, and they can be a little tricky, as the ring has a tendency to shift and move when I'm trying to get it attached. Again, not really an issue, but that was what I was trying to describe.

I have similar questions about the castle nut and swivel operation. Like I said earlier, haven't really been able to find any reviews, so thought I would throw it out there. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Paulo_Santos
22 February 2012, 07:03
It depends on where you like to mount the sling. For single point or combat style two point slings, I prefer to mount the rear section of the sling directly where the end plate goes because it is better for transitioning. That's why I prefer the Noveske End Plate. So it is a matter of where you want to mount the sling.

Quiet-Matt
22 February 2012, 16:11
I don't know what type of sling hook you are using. I use HK hooks for my rear attachment points. I got tired of the ASAP ring and cut it off. I used a wedge and a screwdriver to open up the ASAP enough to allow easy attachment of the HK hooks and webbing. Works great, and still allows the sliding action of the original ASAP design for transitions. Might be something to try before you cough up the cash on something new.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-D6Usm_NDbAA/T0WDuFTw57I/AAAAAAAAJWs/RNHj5TCfmTQ/s720/IMG_0533.JPG?gl=US
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DoyTAaZ9PkI/T0WDv6PPI4I/AAAAAAAAJWw/O8_9O20Hvws/s720/IMG_0534.JPG?gl=US

-Matt