PDA

View Full Version : Storing the BCG: Help!

chazthebiker
24 February 2012, 12:19
I finally got to go home for one day here a couple of weeks ago. My weapons are stored in an area away from the house in an uncontrolled temperature environment. I noticed some pitting starting on the carriers, so removed the BCG's from the rifles and placed them in a tupperwear container, covered them with a quart of synthetic motor oil, and sealed the container. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I only had a few minutes to tend to my weapons and this was the quickest solution I could find for the problem at the moment. My barrells are all stainless steel, so I was not worried about them. Gave them and the actions a quick shot of lube and put them back in their cases. The BCG's were my primary concern at the moment.

My home is unattended for months at a time, hence the storing of my weapons in a hidden area.

Thanks for any advice!

5pins
24 February 2012, 13:35
What kind of cases are you storing them in? I have seen several guns stored in cases that have had bad rusting issues. Some cases seem to trap moister.
Putting the BCGs in oil should take care of them.

Quib
24 February 2012, 14:00
Your method of preservation should be fine. I've stored spare bolts and carriers in a similar manner, but used a good coat of Break-Free LP in a zip-lock bag.

Casull
24 February 2012, 19:03
+ 1 on the oil/lube & zip bag.

doubleactiononly
25 February 2012, 22:31
Depending on what you may consider "extreme" protection for extended storage periods, you can also use cosmoline. Id put that into a category along the lines of "archiving" your firearms. LOL
And can be a pain to clean out of nooks and crevices. But it just matters how much protection youre really looking for.

TehLlama
26 February 2012, 13:32
I've been stuck storing complete rifles like that - it does work, even in really adverse temperature/humidity environments.

5pins
26 February 2012, 18:25
Has anyone tried the Brownells storage bags?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1154/Product/TRIPLE-TOUGH-trade-PREMIUM-STORAGE-BAGS

chazthebiker
26 February 2012, 19:01
Each rifle has its own Pelican 1720 Case. I probably should get some dessicant packs to throw in. There were just a couple of tiny pits forming on one of the bolt carriers. I think those cases are good to go, and I may have panicked a little. My only concern with storing the BCG's in motor oil would be deterioration of the "O" ring... but that worry is probably unfounded. The area is normally very low humidity, but does experience extreme temperature changes at various times of the year. That said, I do not know what the ambient humidity was when I closed the rifles up a few months back. I sort of planned ahead a little when I built the rifles; knowing they would be stored a lot I used stainless barrels on all of them. Yup, that was the main reason (95%) I chose stainless. It really had little to do with accuracy or any other reason. I will check out Cosmoline and those special bags. Thanks for the tips guys!

chazthebiker
26 February 2012, 19:05
5PINS, I hope somebody gives a response as to those bags.

chazthebiker
26 February 2012, 19:18
Your method of preservation should be fine. I've stored spare bolts and carriers in a similar manner, but used a good coat of Break-Free LP in a zip-lock bag.

That is a good idea Quib. Better than my quick fix for sure. I actually thought of that, but did not know whether the lube would eventually eat through the bag or not. No issues with that? Sure would be a lot less messy when I need to get them back out.

lamarbrog
29 February 2012, 10:30
Marine Grease from WalMart is pretty hearty stuff when it comes to corrosion protection and staying in place. I've used it before when putting stuff away for a while and not wanting it to rust up in this SE Texas humidity.