PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever "Antiqued" An AR15?

tpelle
25 February 2012, 08:42
I admit, I'm a retro-grouch kinda guy, and think those pics of M16's from the sandbox - the ones with a fair amount of the finish worn off of the high spots - just flat look sexy! I I'm also the guy that haunts the gun shows looking for those old Colt and Adventureline 20 rounders with the gold anodizing showing through. Gives 'em a kind of "been there, killed that" look.

Anyway, has anyone ever taken a shiney new AR and tried giving it that look? Maybe rubbed it down with a Scotchbrite abrasive pad, or something like that?

I 'm about to do an A2 retro build, and am thinking about trying something like that.

I know if I just carried it around the woods every day for a few years it would come by the look honest, but that's just not practical for me - it would take too much time, and at my age an ice cream cone comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Any tips?

Curlyburns5
25 February 2012, 15:40
Honestly not at all trying to come across as a dick but to me, the best way to get some good looking wear on your rifle is to go out and use it. Take a few high round count classes. If you use it for what it's made for (shooting that is) then the wear should come with time. Who knows, there may be a few guys here willing to trade their worn rifle for your new pretty one.

15ICAM
25 February 2012, 20:44
Checkout NODAKSPUD, They are big into retro AR stuff and have offered a "Battlefield pick-up" finish on some of their upper/lower combos.

Here is the webpage, you'll need to scroll down to almost the bottom

http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm

tpelle
26 February 2012, 05:50
Thanks for that NoDak Spud link - I forgot about those guys! I have an old damaged upper receiver laying around at home, and I may put a polishing wheel on the Dremel and practice the technique.

markm
1 March 2012, 09:22
This is SO beyond gay. ARFesque poser foolishness gone awry.

Vern1968
1 March 2012, 15:41
This is SO beyond gay. ARFesque poser foolishness gone awry.

Man you leave a lot of negative comments. Battlefield worn looks pretty cool in a bunch of different weapons. It's something different.

zero7one
1 March 2012, 23:53
This thread is getting off track and to the point of being out of line and not what the purpose of Weapon Evolution is all about. Thread is now locked.