PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor questions 7.62/5.56

TunaFisherman
25 February 2012, 18:23
My local dealer has had trouble getting product from AAC. I had planned on buying the M4-2000. Since that seems to be a never ending wait,I am looking at other options. He has a couple different brands in stock. My rifles are Colt and BCM 5.56mm carbines. I also own a BCM mid length 5.56mm.
My plan now is I will buy one or two cans in either 5.56 or 7.62 caliber. These will be QD mounted.

I had looked at the Gemtech G5 5.56mm, after some research I see that they "seem" to have some issues?
Next I considered a YHM Phantom QD 7.62. They tend to have good reviews but are heavy.
I keep coming back to the AAC site...

I would like to keep the individual price below a $1,000 since I want to purchase two.
Must be QD so I can use on several rifles.

Good reliable online store to purchase from?

Steel, Titanium or Stainless Steel?

I also read somewhere that using a muzzle brake vs flash hider helps stop erosion on the AAC system?? Any thoughts on this

Any issues with H Buffer... when using a 7.62 can on the Mid length BCM?

I am missing some brands,,any that I should be considering that I may have missed??

Thanks in advance and yes I did use the search option above. Using suppressors is new to me so forgive me if I am asking some rehashed questions.

TehLlama
26 February 2012, 13:53
Why would you want to run a suppressor that size on your 5.56 rifle? The ti unit doesn't have quite the same boat anchor quality, but titanium erodes much quicker if you're running it enough to get hot.

M4C has some of the best resources on this, but there is a LOT to consider on models. The other part is the non-variable wait on the ATF side to actually take possession of the can - which to me means it's worth the wait to get the exact unit you want, especially since a can can last a while and be ran on many different platforms.

I'd start evaluating in terms of size (OAL, Diameter), Attach Mechanism and POI Shift, Weight, and finally sound reduction. Size and POI shift really dictated my decision making process - especially in the case where you'll be running some of those part time suppressed the POI shift can be a bigger concern. Material - Inconel is great for SBRs and high volume stuff, TI is great for light weight even in semi-auto guns if the volume isn't too crazy, but even some of the SS units are still relevant despite the recent dominance by SF and AAC in the QD realm.

TunaFisherman
26 February 2012, 20:58
Thanks for the info. I dont mind waiting and getting the right one. I am not in any real hurry. I have been reading alot. I just keep going back to the M4-2000. I really like Surefire (except for the price)
I already have one can that I am waiting for the ATF to send the stamp so I can pick up.
I see some are POI adjustable? I am not against dedicating them to specfic rifles if that helps POI. I wont be using SBR since its not legal yet in my state.
I will continue to read and ask question, hopefully I make a good choice.
What do you own suppressor wise in 5.56?

itschris
27 February 2012, 05:57
Take a look at what Ops Inc has to offer. There's some mounting considerations, but those are usually limited to shorter SBR's since they are reflex style cans. Also, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about quality with any of the top brands. This is very much the same thing as "which is the best AR" discussion. I've been doing quite a bit of research for my SBR build. I read about issues with the Gemtech cans, but find they are often made by people who don't actually own them. I read about AAC issues, but again... often times made by people who don't own them. With AAC, you'll read a lot about how the QD doesn't seat the can well, that's there's wobble or play after securing it. I think all these things are not material. YHM, Ops Inc, Gemtech, SureFire, and AAC all make high quality products. They're not putting out junk. So my advise to you, which is what I've had to talk myself into as well, is to let go of the analysis paralysis, and pic just one or two criteria... maybe 7.62/556 & WEIGHT, PRICE & WEIGHT, or METAL TYPE & AVAILABILITY... whatever... then just go find the can.

WWW.MAJOR-MALFUNCTION.COM is a site that a lot of people refer to and have good things to say about.

Paladin5150
27 February 2012, 16:37
Malfunction junction suggests. Www.silencerforums.com. We buy most of our suppressors from them. He sales various brands, so he isn't partial to a particular brand.

AD Farmer
METT-T LLC
501-353-0095
www.class3guns.com

TunaFisherman
27 February 2012, 20:33
Ok thanks for the good info. I will check it all out. Yes I think for as much as I would use the can even a Gemtech would work for me. I have read the QDs can be a problem, May just go DT and go with one or two rifles with cans. Sometimes I think these things can be over thought. I tend to throw out the "my buddys other buddys cousin owns a **** and it sucks" reviews.

itschris
28 February 2012, 08:28
Ok thanks for the good info. I will check it all out. Yes I think for as much as I would use the can even a Gemtech would work for me. I have read the QDs can be a problem, May just go DT and go with one or two rifles with cans. Sometimes I think these things can be over thought. I tend to throw out the "my buddys other buddys cousin owns a **** and it sucks" reviews.

Gemtech is not a slouch of a can. You need not be concerned about getting something that's less than the others.

lmtrocks
28 February 2012, 17:24
The new Titanium YHMs are hardly heavy--12oz for 5.56, and 15 for the 762. Cheapest I've seen them is $849---up to $1049 at a dealer here in town. They do include FHs, but YHM is coming out with a 762 QD brake soon and it will likely be a good choice for 10.3/10.5" gunners to keep from destroying their newly acquired suppressor. I will get 2 of them, for use on a 10.5" 762 x 39 upper and a 7.5/8" 300BLK I'm planning on building later this year.

TunaFisherman
28 February 2012, 19:53
Is it worth buying a 7.62 and using on my 5.56 too? I didnt mean to sound so negative about the Gemtech since I did buy a Gemtech Alpine .22

itschris
29 February 2012, 05:59
From everything I've got so far from reading and talking to everybody (people who actually own and know), is that 7.62 would be the choice. Here's what I've found:

1) If you don't want or can't afford multiple cans, you'll get more use out of a 7.62 since it's works on a 308 (should you ever get different caliber rifles)
2) The sound difference is not noticable... some even say it's less sharp... not quieter, just different
3) More durable for a 5.56 than a 5.56 can

Now, again, I'm no expert... I do not own a can yet... I"m still waiting for my stamp on my SBR. But this is what I've come up with after a lot of hunting around for info. I welcome anyone to correct me, however. If I'm wrong about these things, I want to know it as well as help better define the answers and parameters we're all always searching for.

TunaFisherman
3 March 2012, 20:39
From everything I've got so far from reading and talking to everybody (people who actually own and know), is that 7.62 would be the choice. Here's what I've found:

1) If you don't want or can't afford multiple cans, you'll get more use out of a 7.62 since it's works on a 308 (should you ever get different caliber rifles)
2) The sound difference is not noticable... some even say it's less sharp... not quieter, just different
3) More durable for a 5.56 than a 5.56 can

Now, again, I'm no expert... I do not own a can yet... I"m still waiting for my stamp on my SBR. But this is what I've come up with after a lot of hunting around for info. I welcome anyone to correct me, however. If I'm wrong about these things, I want to know it as well as help better define the answers and parameters we're all always searching for.

Kinda of how I was thinking, multiple use is better for me

TunaFisherman
6 March 2012, 20:08
I bought YHM Phantom 5.56 Gemtech G5-22 Gemtech Alpine