PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on a 6.5 barrel...

TangoSauce
26 February 2012, 14:32
Greetings all. I've bumped into this forum a few times searching the interwebz and finally joined up due to some familiar faces and great discussions.

Here's my current dilemma. I've decided to build a 6.5 Grendel to have a lighter weight rifle capable of distance. I've decided on an 18'' since it's the best compromise between energy, weight, etc. Been trying to decide between the AA button SPR and the Spartan cut bbl. I realize the cut should be more accurate, but I also know how much Bill paid to quality of these new button SPRs he produced. Any feedback?

And not to turn this into a 6.5 vs 6.8 argument that's been done way too much, but I've also looked at the AR Performance 18'' 6.8 as well as the Noveske 6.8.

Input on this is much appreciated. Again, not trying to turn this into a rhetorical debate on calibers, etc. Just wanting to see if I should jump on one of these two 6.5 barrels or opt for something that might produce more accuracy in 6.8.

http://store.alexanderarms.com/product.cgi?group=112&product=1200

http://store.alexanderarms.com/product.cgi?group=112&product=1191

Paulo_Santos
26 February 2012, 17:05
Do you have a price limit?

TangoSauce
26 February 2012, 17:10
Do you have a price limit?

It's a consideration, but I tend to look more long term in my investments. The price is part of the reason I've considered the button over the cut, but if it's going to compromise my shooting then I would opt for the better option.

Paulo_Santos
26 February 2012, 18:15
I'd check the Grendel Forum as see if there are any reviews of them. The Grendel is a very accurate round, even with cheaper barrels.

TangoSauce
3 March 2012, 13:26
I'd check the Grendel Forum as see if there are any reviews of them. The Grendel is a very accurate round, even with cheaper barrels.

I checked out that forum and found some useful information. Most of it belly aching about how the .264 LBC is inferior, lol. (j/k) The AA barrels seem to shoot well. I think I'll pick one of those up and start considering my options for a 6.8 build as well. Perhaps once the SAMMI 6.5 catches on down the road I can find a nice cut rifled bbl. Unfortunately, Noveske is not producing a 6.5 bbl...