PDA

View Full Version : What safe to buy?

lamarbrog
26 February 2012, 18:45
It's long past time that I should have gotten a safe, and I am starting to look at it more seriously.

I don't need anything really fancy or expensive. Space is a concern. I am fortunate enough to live in a quiet neighborhood with low crime, there is usually someone home, and the neighbors do a good job of keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. This is really just intended to be a last line of defense. Keeping the price less than $2000 is mandatory, and below $1500 would be VERY preferable.

I have looked at a Browning SP23, and I really like the size and the fact that there is long gun storage on the safe door. That's convenient. I am aware of the shortcomings- 45 minute 1200 degree firing rating (honestly, if the safe is at 1200 degrees for that long, the whole house is toast anyway) and the 12 gauge steel.

The one big thing is the lock. It's a S&G, but it's electronic. I'd prefer to have an S&G dial lock, since it requires no batteries and they are supposed to be more durable. Is that something that another company offers, or can I just buy a S&G dial and swap it out?

The appeal of the Browning is the long guns on the safe door. I have "several" that I take out a lot, and don't want to be forced to unpack the whole thing to get to something.

The only other thing that interests me is that the way the long gun storage is situated, you have to "thread" the long guns into a loop, before resting the butt on a pad. On some of the more expensive safes Browning offers, they have "paddle" retainers where you "clip" the long gun in by just pressing inward. It's hard to describe. Does anyone know how modular Browning safes are? Is that something I could change?

For a retail price of $1100, they seem like a pretty good buy. I don't want to end up spending as much as a better safe adding a different lock and a swapping racks around.

Or, instead of worrying with all my mental exercises there, what safes do y'all recommend in that price range, ignoring my stated preferences?

KStang986
26 February 2012, 20:15
I purchased a Amsec BF6030. You can immediately tell the difference between the Amsec and some of the other dry-wall laden competitors. I think they go new around $1,800. It's a little pricier, but you're getting an 1/2" steel door, concrete insulation, and bolts on all sides of the door. Worth a look.

Hmac
26 February 2012, 21:10
My approach has been to sty away from safes and go with those cheap lockable gun cabinets (think Stack-On) . My rationale is that unless you spend a LOT of money and get a GOOD safe, a thief is gonna get the guns, or a fire is going to cook em. I want to lock them away from the kids or other visitors, but otherwise I have them upstairs (where a big safe won't go), out of sight (hard with a big safe), and I spend that safe money on a good insurance rider to my homeowners policy.

Vern1968
27 February 2012, 09:53
I recommend going on YouTube and checking out some videos on what safes are all about. I did this before I bought mine and it made a difference on my purchase. I ended up going with a Liberty instead of a warehouse store type safe. Don't go cheap and buy at least twice the size you think you need. Stick with an American made safe if you can. They have safes that have both options on the lock dials these days. I also wish that I had some lighting and power to mine to run a de-humidifier. If you think as a safe as a life time investment rather than just a place to safely store firearms or important papers/valuables I would spend as much as you can afford. I should have gone bigger with my purchase. Good luck.

tac40
28 February 2012, 16:02
https://citadelgunandsafe.com/g/archives/category/safes

They're good guys, ask for Dave or John.

starfury
12 March 2012, 18:54
I have a sturdy safe and really like it (http://www.sturdysafe.com/ ). I second Vern1968 recommendation that you look at some of the youtube videos out there on various safes. You can see the punishment some of the makers put them through and how easy some of the cheaper ones can be opened.